speech dilimia (1 Viewer)

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
Hi , I am giving a speech for year 11 English ( speech is for advanced, although I do extension)

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone could suggest what register would be correct formal or informal?

I was going to write it informally, casually (as you do for speeches in years 9 and 10, with lots of words like “I” and “you” in it, also it would help connect speech to audience) but then I thought since it is an adv/ext class, that formal language would be appropriate to the audience and would demonstrate my effectiveness in writing stuff fancy.

On the actual assessment task marking criteria it says “ make it appropriate to purpose, audience and context”

So I was wondering for a year 11-eng class, formal or informal?

Thankyou so much for help. Btw the speech if for area of study ( I don’t know if that changes the register, but hey J)

By the way: I did not know where to place this thread so please disregard if you see it in another thread’

mishka

HSC
N/A
it depends what the question is. for example, if it's a strict, lecture type question, go for formal (obviously) but if you were asked to write a speech for opening night or something, you could afford to make it more casual, not too much, but casual enough to be able to connect with your audience.

by the way, formal doesn't mean boring... you can still come up with an interesting opening and closing and add things like rhetoric in there, too!

hope that helps a little, anyway - good luck! :)

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
So long as you have depth in your speech and you know your speech (i.e. basically pull it off) you can make it informal. It's the content mainly - not the way you present it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)