speech path (1 Viewer)

gunat61

HSC
hi guys. is there anyone on here that does speech path? could you please tell me how you find it etc? :D thanks!

gunat61

HSC
yeah i know haha .. is it a boring campus or something? .. i've already seen the website but i wanted to hear from people who do it. how do you find the degree personally and is it difficult etc? what's a normal day like :p how's the social life? haha

me-mfhs

HSC
Uni Grad
(sorry lol I copied and pasted most of this from my previous post in another topic)

I'm at the end of third year speech path right now.

Basically, you won't go through uni without crying LOLOLOL!! Although you have less academic subjects as each year goes by, the work load is still heaps. Also, no you dont go to the main campus (except for graduation lol).

" how do you find the degree personally and is it difficult etc?"
- I find it personally demanding, and I also find it difficult. You can't just rote learn the stuff unless you're pro LOL. I remember in first year I'd just study the night before hahaha - doesnt work :( [well not for anatomy and neuro subjects at least!!]
- It's like 99% girls
- Around 120 students at the start...now there's like 70 students
- Very intimidating when you do clinic as your clinical educators watch you (kind of like a big brother room), via camera or real life
- You get to experience a variety of clinical placements, currently i've done stroke group in a hospital (rehab for aphasia) and school placement. I'll be having my neuroblock after my exams...

" Is it a worthwhile course? "/
- If you want to help children and/or adults who have swallowing, voice, speech and language difficulties. This may include people who have had a stroke, or children who stutter.
- If you like sciencey stuff (neuro, muscles..) OR can cope with these subjects
- If you like writing essays/englishy assignments OR can cope with this stuff
- Cope with stress (LOL I'm ALWAYS stressed, but I have friends who arn't so I'm just a noob.... >.<!)
- Cope with >9000 assignments/exams
- Can work with other people (there's a lot of GROUP assignments)

"is it a boring campus or something?"
- It depends on the type of person you are, I'm not that much of the partying type - but I know that cumberland campus has heaps of those kinds of stuff :p like pubcrawl..
- Most of my breaks are spent doing group assignments or honours meetings....... I think you have more of a social life in 1st year though!

"what's a normal day like?"
- I go to uni, attend the lecture, breaks are for group assignments, another lecture then go home and do uni work >.< LOLOLOL
- If you did your clinical placements during the holidays, your semesters are very 'free' (i know some people in my course did that :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)