• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Speech task tips (1 Viewer)

Cerry

HSC
The music is a grey area. It can be great, or it can totally detract from what you're trying to say. And sometimes, it's just plain inappropriate. If you are in a situation where it would be appropriate (like a speech on a famous musician), then it might be OK to use it, but it would have to be background music, which won't distract people (never had it happen in a speech, but I've had people start playing percussion on their desk, or have impromptu singalongs while I'm trying to give a singing performances, and it's really distracting for both me and the audience). Obscure stuff is also a no go, because people are likely to sit there trying to work out what the music is, rather than listening to you.

The rule on no palm cards is shit - it's much more professional to use palm cards than an A4 sheet. However, if that's the case, you have to deal with it.
I've been told by several adjuticators that memorising a speech is actually a bad idea. You should never go for word-for-word memorisation, because it becomes very obvious, and if you lose your place, then you'll probably freak out, and the whole thing falls apart. However, you should know what you're talking about. The best way to do a speech is to have enough of an idea of what you're saying so that you can work from just a few notes, that will trigger your memory, and have any important statistics, dates etc written down, because they're the things you're most likely to forget if you're nervous. If you were doing a speech on elephants, then your notes would be something like
*African, Indian
*Trunks - drinking and bathing
*Gestation period __ months
*Poaching
*Elephants in popular culture

When you're trying to learn your speech, practising is the best way to go. Start off with your speech in front of you. Read it once or twice, then try to do it from memory. Write down a note about anything you forget, and try to say the speech just from these notes. You'll find that you'll have to look at your notes for some things every time, and those are the most important things to have on your page of notes. There are some things that will sink in after the 2nd or 3rd run through, and they're the things you cut from your notes if you can't fit everything on one page. Once you've got your notes finalised, then either make a video of yourself giving the speech, and watch it back, or if you can't do that, then practise in front of a mirror with a tape recorder, watch yourself in the mirror as you speak, and listen to the recording afterwards. You'll be amazed how many little habits, like swaying on the spot, or fiddling with your clothes you'll find, and how easy they are to fix once you know about them. You'll probably also find dodgy spots in the speech you hadn't noticed before, which you can then focus on.

If you're in front of the class giving your speech and forget something, then don't panic, just slow down, and think about what you're saying. Most of the time, you can work it out with just a tiny pause, and people in the audience won't even notice. If worst comes to worst, ad lib until you get your thoughts together, or just skip the bit you don't know all together.

Hope that's helped, even if it is a bit long and rambly

The Kaiser

HSC
lyounamu said:
What are the tips that you know in regards to speech task?

I have heard that I am going to get a speech task soon but I don't really know the topic yet. But that's not the point that matters at the moment.

I am talking about the performance in general. I am quite confident that I will write a quality one if I am given a 2-weeks notice. It is the speech performance that I cannot really prepare for.

Someone in my year in Extension 1 had a similar task got 20/20 and he was the only one who got that. His transcript of a speech would have been absolutely terrific but above all, his performance was breathtakingly amazing. He apparently had a music on. Would it be a good idea to do so? I am going to ask him how he did his speech but I would like to know whether it would be wise to do so or not.

I am also thinking of memorising a speech because palms are not apparently now allowed. (only thing allowed is a A4 page).

Any tips?
There are two aspects to a speech, one "written", one presentation. (Obviously you'll all know that already.)

For the "written" part, treat it like an essay, only this time you can give your opinion a little more subjectively, make sure your analysis is sound and that you've prepared your thesis well. Memorise the key points in your speech, rather than memorising the speech itself. If you know your material well, then notes are not needed.

For presentation, stand tall, speak clearly, and use a respectable diction and a formal register, it really depends on the material/question though. Remember your trying to impress the teacher not the audience itself. I wouldn't advise the use of music, unless it provides a vital link to your thesis, because it might distract you/audience/teacher from your thesis, but then again that's just me.

grundo

HSC
Rebekkie said:
my school is incredibly strict on timing. we get no 10% leeway. if the speech is 3 mins, you're stopped at 3 mins no matter how much you've got left. the standard is that you'll lost 10% of the total available marks. so for you that would be 2 marks.
:( ohh no!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks guys. Your advices have been so helpful! I shall print every single post. (except mine)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
What are the tips that you know in regards to speech task?

I have heard that I am going to get a speech task soon but I don't really know the topic yet. But that's not the point that matters at the moment.

I am talking about the performance in general. I am quite confident that I will write a quality one if I am given a 2-weeks notice. It is the speech performance that I cannot really prepare for.

Someone in my year in Extension 1 had a similar task got 20/20 and he was the only one who got that. His transcript of a speech would have been absolutely terrific but above all, his performance was breathtakingly amazing. He apparently had a music on. Would it be a good idea to do so? I am going to ask him how he did his speech but I would like to know whether it would be wise to do so or not.

I am also thinking of memorising a speech because palms are not apparently now allowed. (only thing allowed is a A4 page).

Any tips?
1. Shake off the nerves when you're about to read the speech. Breathe in, breathe out. Visualise yourself getting a top mark/ranking. Boost confidence.
2. Clear voice projection. Don't talk too fast, attention from audience may go down. It does occur when you're nervous.
3. Continous eye contact with the audience. If a student is not listening, give him the stare.
4. Make your speech engaging. The reason why that guy in your year achieved 20/20 is because he turned music on. That would certainly engage my attention to his speech, as I like music :eek:.
5. GOOD LUCK NAMU.

I followed all my tips and managed to get a 18/20, rank 2 in my adv english class, whilst editing my speech several times, reaching perfection. Read through all the other tips, and I'm sure you can achieve that mark easily.

P.S Why aren't palm cards allowed?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
1. Shake off the nerves when you're about to read the speech. Breathe in, breathe out. Visualise yourself getting a top mark/ranking. Boost confidence.
2. Clear voice projection. Don't talk too fast, attention from audience may go down. It does occur when you're nervous.
3. Continous eye contact with the audience. If a student is not listening, give him the stare.
4. Make your speech engaging. The reason why that guy in your year achieved 20/20 is because he turned music on. That would certainly engage my attention to his speech, as I like music :eek:.
5. GOOD LUCK NAMU.

I followed all my tips and managed to get a 18/20, rank 2 in my adv english class, whilst editing my speech several times, reaching perfection. Read through all the other tips, and I'm sure you can achieve that mark easily.

P.S Why aren't palm cards allowed?
I think the purpose of that is to make the performers get more prepared.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Charity F said:
I don't see why palm cards aren't allowed, but an A4 page is??
In my last speaking task we had to adopt the persona of a teacher... and "teachers don't use palm cards".

Frankly I hate the things, you stand around talking and shuffling your palm cards and just fidgeting. Last I used palm cards I accidently turned 2 of them at once, then [because I had memorised them pretty much] I kept talking about what my supposed next palm card said, and when I glanced down to refresh that next bit of info in my head it was the wrong card. God dammit I was annoyed. Luckily I have powerpoint slides to and I just winged it from there through my 'frayed-nerves' patch until I found my spot again a little bit later.

Anyway, back off that rant - A4 pages are really good, and they are especially good because they enable you to refresh what you've memorised a few paragraphs ahead, and rather than spending the 'pause' time between paragraphs frantically changing palm card, you can actually just read the first sentence, remember the rest of the para from that, and then speak to the 'class' without looking at what you've written.

Moral of the story - A4 pages are good. Don't try and memorise the whole thing, it will probably end in tears if you do. Hope the speech goes well.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
grundo said:
I have a question - if you go over time (say by less than 10 seconds) how many marks would you expect to lose? (considering its a 20 mark task).

I did an Advanced speech last term and they stopped me while i was halfway through my last line (at exactly 5 mins because it was a 4-5 min speech) :mad: . I think it was pretty obvious I was almost done, but how many marks do you think I'd lose because of that alone?
Usually you get a specific time limit, say 5 mins, and you get a 10% grace period either side of the 5 min mark. That's the way it usually is, and you loose a mark each 10% until you are a minute over at which point they stop you.

So by them getting a speech of 4-5 mins, you effectively have been given a speech which is 4.30 long, and your grace period is up to 5 mins or down to 4. When you get a period time limit rather than a specific, like you got, you have to be within it or you are stopped. Read faster, perpare better, don't strain for that extra point at the risk of going over time. Kill a less important sentence.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Cerry said:
The rule on no palm cards is shit - it's much more professional to use palm cards than an A4 sheet.
Bullshit. Professionals either use nothing or an A4 sheet. Tell me the name of one good speaker who uses palm cards. Palm cards are amateur and belong only in schools. They only say to use them so you don't entirely block your face and project into a sheet when oyu learn to speak. Put them on a table/lectern.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
prichardson said:
Bullshit. Professionals either use nothing or an A4 sheet. Tell me the name of one good speaker who uses palm cards. Palm cards are amateur and belong only in schools. They only say to use them so you don't entirely block your face and project into a sheet when oyu learn to speak. Put them on a table/lectern.
Agreed. That is the most likely reason why my school endorses this rule.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Razizi said:
Or rather the point that can be found here is that perhaps the guy knew his markers and that music would engage them rather than make them distracted from oyur speech. Know your markers, not just in a speech, not just in a topic, always.

blackglitter

HSC
I've been public speaking/debating for over 5 years now and trust me, the best thing you can do is act confident - look people in the eye and believe what you're saying. If you do, all the rest will come naturally. While props (e.g. music, le snacks, etc.) can be good, it's better if you can be passionate about your content - that's what'll create audience involvement.

Cerry

HSC
prichardson said:
If you have lecturn to use then it's different, but I'm yet to encounter a school that provides you with one, unless they're hosting some sort of interschool competition, when they might bring one out. Using a sheet of paper without one is clumsy and also somewhat difficult. Unless you can work with absolutely no notes whatsoever, if you have no lecturn, then palm cards are the more professional option.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Cerry said:
If you have lecturn to use then it's different, but I'm yet to encounter a school that provides you with one, unless they're hosting some sort of interschool competition, when they might bring one out. Using a sheet of paper without one is clumsy and also somewhat difficult. Unless you can work with absolutely no notes whatsoever, if you have no lecturn, then palm cards are the more professional option.
You can also put it on a table, like I said. If the piece of paper is on a table, like i said, then it's not at all clumsy. And having an A4 piece of paper says to the marker "I'm not reading my speech", because with palm cards you have to be aware of your place to turn them so frequently.

Cerry

HSC
Tables, as a general rule, are too low to comfortably have notes on to work from, unless you're sitting, which you shouldn't really be.
Palm cards shouldn't actually have your whole speech written on them - just notes. I've gotten an entire 5 minute speech on 5 cards before, and you don't have to turn them that often when you've got that little on them. People will take advantage of an A4 sheet of paper, put on tiny margins and use a small font and just put the entire speech on there, which is worse than having an entire speech on palm cards, because it's a lot easier to lose your place when you've got one massive block of text, then when you've got palm cards and have to know approximately where you're up to, to get the turns right.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Cerry said:
Tables, as a general rule, are too low to comfortably have notes on to work from, unless you're sitting, which you shouldn't really be.
Palm cards shouldn't actually have your whole speech written on them - just notes. I've gotten an entire 5 minute speech on 5 cards before, and you don't have to turn them that often when you've got that little on them. People will take advantage of an A4 sheet of paper, put on tiny margins and use a small font and just put the entire speech on there, which is worse than having an entire speech on palm cards, because it's a lot easier to lose your place when you've got one massive block of text, then when you've got palm cards and have to know approximately where you're up to, to get the turns right.
Meh... agree to disagree :cool:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Cerry said:
I remember we used lecturns in Modern.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)