Speech v Essay - what is the difference? (1 Viewer)

determine

Premium Member
HSC
Hi guys

I was just wondering - I have to write a speech for an English exam in 3 weeks (we don't need to execute it verbally, just write it and then submit it) but I'm a bit baffled about the difference between an essay and a speech? How do they essentially differ in form, structure etc.? How can I make it sound more like a speech, rather than sound like an essay? Because we've done practice essays, but now we have been told that the actual exam is a speech. And I don't want to write my essay straight out, but I'd like to know what changes I can make to the essay to bring it more towards a speech.

Thanks guys! Any help would be much appreciated = )

vennmuch

HSC
Well essays are a lot more... structured I'd say. There's a formula you can't really do without. It's bang bang bang techniques, effect... the usual.

With speeches, I think it's like a crossover with creative writing + essay. The analysis is still there but you should bring humour in or if it's not your thing, at least bring somethign else to it. Engage the audience.

I made the mistake of making an essay-style analysis... comment I got was "sounded like an essay read out" FML indeed. People whose stuff were a lot lighter and who didn't really understand the text got really good coz they did the engaging/entertaining part well.

Cloesd

HSC
Well essays are a lot more... structured I'd say. There's a formula you can't really do without. It's bang bang bang techniques, effect... the usual.

With speeches, I think it's like a crossover with creative writing + essay. The analysis is still there but you should bring humour in or if it's not your thing, at least bring somethign else to it. Engage the audience.

I made the mistake of making an essay-style analysis... comment I got was "sounded like an essay read out" FML indeed. People whose stuff were a lot lighter and who didn't really understand the text got really good coz they did the engaging/entertaining part well.
Not true, DO NOT unstructure, and NEVER humor... i'v had my share of 5/20 speeches, believe me.

What you want to be doing is, write your essay, and then write goodmorning, and goodafternoon one line above, and one line below the intro and conclusion, and then maybe at the beginning of every topic sentence, adress the audience. NEVER write in first person, you should never be leik "i heard u leik speaches". No, you say: "Speaches are commonly liked"

Naf

HSC
Not true, DO NOT unstructure, and NEVER humor... i'v had my share of 5/20 speeches, believe me.

What you want to be doing is, write your essay, and then write goodmorning, and goodafternoon one line above, and one line below the intro and conclusion, and then maybe at the beginning of every topic sentence, adress the audience. NEVER write in first person, you should never be leik "i heard u leik speaches". No, you say: "Speaches are commonly liked"
absolutley not! i recently had to do speeches and the ONLY one i was able to listen to was one that made me laugh. no, you dont have to be funny. just write something entertaining coz it will come through whether you read it out or not.

its exactly what vennmuch said.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Structure is good. Humour is great if you can use it effectively. Never however, use standard jokes. They are not funny in the context of a speech, and do not add to your presentation.

What you want to be doing is, write your essay, and then write goodmorning, and goodafternoon one line above, and one line below the intro and conclusion,
Goodmorning/afternoon is an incredibly boring way to start a speech. More to the point, it adds nothing to it. Start with a quote, a statistic or a fact. Anything even remotely interesting will set you apart.

and then maybe at the beginning of every topic sentence, adress the audience. NEVER write in first person, you should never be leik "i heard u leik speaches". No, you say: "Speaches are commonly liked"
Make sure you make it a worthwhile address if you do use the audience this way. First person can be used for opinion pieces, but be sparing in its usage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)