speeches (1 Viewer)

teneale99

HSC
hey guys,
i have a speech coming up for emma/clueless and i was hoping you guys could give me some advice on confident speaking techniques.
in other words how to bullshit and look condifent n all in a speech when your really nervous....thanks

nomz

my sympathy is with you! i hated speeches so much! My hands always shook like crazy, my face went bright red and i couldn't say the words properly and would almost cry cuz people used to laugh at how ridiculously nervous i was... Infact a couple of times i stopped half way through said "i cant do this anymore" and walked out.... so my only advice is Run!!!! While you still have the chance! No seriously... just think that you're definately better than me and you can do it! Remember that a lot of people are nervous (i was just on the extreme end of the scale) and that if you've put in the best effort you know you can- thats all that counts... stuff everyone else! Good luck!

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
ick... yeh speeches can relly be nerve-wracking... its okay to feel nervous, but i guess some tips for a good speech:

- number your palm cards. (trust me, you dont want to be called up and then realise u've got them all in the wrong order. as well as wasting time u just get even more freaked out)

- put in a short joke or a real short anecdote at the very beginning. if u can get a laugh, then you'll feel better (plus you'll get bonus points for audience interaction). and dont worry even if its not that funny - everyone else will be nervous as well and laugh at pretty much anything (reasonable)

- keep eye contact with ppl, and make sure u include everyone. (ie dont just look at one person)

- if u feel uncomfortable using hand gestures, then DONT. u just look retarded flapping ur hands about uselessly. its possible to do a good speech without using hand gestures.

- practise practise practise... it sounds obvious, but it makes such a difference. u feel much more confident with a speech you've practised and gone through, plus if u know it fairly well then u dont have to keep reading evry word off the cards.

good luck!

Bec1234

HSC
Just make sure that you're happy with what you've written and that you know it well. I also hated speeches, but managed to fluke it in year 12 with my 'Change' speech I got 12/15 or something, and with my Emma speech (we had to record a radio review onto tape) I got 11/15 or something. It's not so bad as long as you relax and just remember that in 5 minutes it will all be over, and that people have watched so many speeches that day that no one will remember what you said anyway (that was what I was always self conscious about).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)