• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Speed Cameras (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey just thought id check something. If a fixed speed camera detects you going say 63kph in a 60 zone, do you get fined??? Or is there a +10% leeway applying to all speed cameras so that for example, going up to 66kph in a 60 zone would not result in a fine? I think it would be pretty unfair if people got fined for doing 63kph in a 60 zone because obviously you would have to take into consideration things like speedometer error etc.

Any comments would be great

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You wouldn't get done for 63kph for a 60 zone, because that's stupid.

But I know one of my friend's dad got a 75kph in a 70 zone over the double demerits holiday period, when they're pretty anal about it all.

Otherwise, I'm not sure about the technicalities of it. I'm lazy and have been on my L's for a few years.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
You get a little extra but I am not exactly sure what it is. If you get booked for going less than 5km/h over the speed limit it is probably a problem with the camera.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I remember reading in NRMA that they also take into account the road situations and so on.. if using a mobile camera.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep it's a damn good idea to do that... better to be safe than $75 sorry. AND thanks to Satnav, I don't need to keep my eyes peeled for the speed camera signs either :)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
there is a leeway because speed cameras are not 100% acurate, but iam not sure what it is. Some of the older models flash fairly often, but it doesnt mean you will get a fine. You shouldnt be going at 63 past a 60 speed camera in any case, do like 58-59 dont let the needle past 60, cause i have a feeling most cameras[atleast around where i live] only have a leeway of 2-3kms

HSC
Hmm yeah i guess so, just saying if your needle does say that you are going 60 k's but you are really going 64 ... i dunno just wanted to know if there is a standard for leeways on speed cameras

Scanorama

HSC
On Henry Lawson Drive, Peakhurst, there is a speed camera in a 60 zone. I once drove past it between 60-63km/h, it got me worried a bit but I didn't get the fine.

I always drive past the M5 East tunnel right on the speed limit - 80km/h and many cars often goes faster than me, probably doing 85-90km/h?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If it gets you going too slow you can challenge it. I'm sure I heard of someone getting off because the speed camera wasn't checked the day he got caught so there was no way of knowing if it was accurate or not.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
miss_ripcurlgir said:
Hmm yeah i guess so, just saying if your needle does say that you are going 60 k's but you are really going 64 ... i dunno just wanted to know if there is a standard for leeways on speed cameras
Normally speedometers will overestimate your speed (unless they've seriously been screwed over by something). It's more likely that if your speedo says 64 you'll be going 60, not the other way around.

Anyway, my story. I once went past a roadside cop doing speed checks, coming out of a 60 zone into a 50 zone. I was a little late to slow down and also didn't notice this cop until just as I was going past them (it was night and they were well concealed behind other parked cars), my speedo around that time would have been around 55-56 (in the 50 zone). I never got busted.

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Dumsum said:
Anyway, my story. I once went past a roadside cop doing speed checks, coming out of a 60 zone into a 50 zone. I was a little late to slow down and also didn't notice this cop until just as I was going past them (it was night and they were well concealed behind other parked cars), my speedo around that time would have been around 55-56 (in the 50 zone). I never got busted.
If cops are using their hand-held radar they have to chase you and even though they could get you for going 56 they usually won't bother. It's better to wait for someone going a bit faster and get them instead.

Optophobia

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
If cops are using their hand-held radar they have to chase you and even though they could get you for going 56 they usually won't bother. It's better to wait for someone going a bit faster and get them instead.
Not if they set up a speed trap or are using a portable camera.

In certain operations they put a man with a gun at point A, he uses his radio to tell other police at point B (further down the road) who to pull over and how fast they were going.

If they feel like giving it to you for going 63 in a 60 zone they can, but police often bump the category down a notch, meaning that people who do less than 15 K over, get nothing. People who do over 15 K, get bumped down into < 15 K.. etc.

Last edited:

Uncle Jonny

HSC
blah. I was driving home from eastwood about two weeks after I got my P's. I came round a corner at 60 in a 50 zone and saw a patrol car sitting in a warehouse driveway. I slowed down to 50 pretty quick.

When I got closer he just flashed his high beams at me and didnt do anything else. Depends on the cop I guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)