• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Speed Limiters at 120??! (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
i heard about it
it wont happen tho....................

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Something to do with the increasing road toll will lead a discussion tomorrow regarding compulsory use of speed limiters... IMO it's dangerous 'coz sometimes trucks travel at that speed and on a corner you might need to accelerate to avoid an accident; but with the limiter at 120, you might not be able to escape.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
120 is cutting it a bit short isnt it? I wouldnt feel safe in my car knowing that on a highway, I could only push it to 120. This would mean id have to get up earlier to avoid missing uni. Nooooooo.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The theory seems to be that speeding = accidents therefore no speeding = no accidents. People seem to ignore any other factors and just apply speeding as the only cause for every accident, even if there is no evidence that speed was involved.

If someone did an unbias study I am sure you would discover that not as many accidents are caused by speeding as we are led to believe and very few happen at over 120. You would not see a noticeable reduction in accidents if it was to be implemented.

There is no way this is going to happen. There are just too many problems with developing and enforcing a 120km/h speed limiter on all cars.

Jiga

Its not going to happen, how can they get every car to get the speed limiter, at either the cost of themselves (no one will agree) or the cost of the government (obviously wont happen). IF they did seriously do it, it would take at least 40 years it implement, making it so all new cars need limiters etc until the market is drowned out with limited cars

And in the end, its like the whole P-Platers doing 90km/h thing instead of 120km/h to save lives, at 120km/h you crash head on there still isnt much hope! Better limit it to 60km/h, but even then...........................................................

Last edited by a moderator:

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
just don't let people get their L's until they are 21

it will fuck up the current generation cause they will all winge but in 10 years the kids won't know any different growing up.

Or make drink driving / unsubstantiated speeding a 3 year license suspension.

Jiga

Yeah a more viable solution is increasing the severity of penalties for excessive speeding, like 45km/h+..... a jail term, huge fines, large suspension periods...... it would definetely reduce speeding. But will it decrease the road toll dramatically? I doubt it, most crashes aernt speed related, or at least 40km/h+ speeding, its just due to the increased volume of drivers on the road particularly during long weekends with full cars, the driver loses concentration for a split second and even at 100km/h there goes 4 lives.... excess speed in these crashes just determines how un-identifiabe the bodies.

CieL

HSC
ahhha

limiters at 120.. then why the hell has the market been focusing on making bigger and better engines?

And what about the current cars which aren't limited? are they all going back to the dealer to get limited? what a waste of time and money.

I can't see it happening.. there's always shades of grey and there will be people who'll find loopholes in the system.. or do things illegally..

So if we get limited, do cops? *imagines a cop chasing a crim when they're both limited to 120* *doubt*

And with seremify's truck example.. even when you're on full licence, you're only legally allowed to go to 120 anyway.. plus even the "no-limit" speed sign (white with black diagonal stripe) means 120 regardless.. so if you're going over 120 I guess you deserve to be at risk.. but I don't get it, why would trucks be going at that speed at a corner? And if trucks are turning, shouldn't you slow down to avoid them anyway instead of going faster?

Like fuck off it'll ever happen.. if it does, I can already picture a mass of people holding signs in front of the parliament house.

vizman

HSC
lol yeah all these companies boasting about more power, more speed, bigger engines etc doesn't help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)