• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Speeding (1 Viewer)

HSC
I think I got done in a school zone today. Doing 60 in a normal 60 zone but during school zone hours. Im not sure though. There was a guy facing me with the radar gun on the corner, but nobody pulled me over. Do they have to pull you over? Or can they take a photo with the radar gun?

Worried =[

Zozo6969

HSC
Almost 100% certain that they have to pull you over for you to be charged. The only ones that don't need to pull you over are the speed and red light cameras (obviously).

Ummm, i was in a situation like that about 6 weeks ago. Going 40 in a school zone, then dumped the car into 2nd and floored it, forgetting that there are always pigs in the sidestreet. Mind you, they can only catch you if you are travelling at over 47 km/h, and there are a few other factors involved, like if there was a car close to you in front or behind you.

Don't worry if they never pulled you over. You probably weren't booked. Plus, even though its kinda bad to look at it this way, you would still have 1 point left, so you could still drive.

HSC
Really? Thats incredible .. Im usually not a speeder but today i wasnt thinking and it was at 3:00. Thanks, I feel less stressed now.

Its the second time that happened .. first time i was doing 55 on a highway and was wondering why everyone was going slow then i saw the guy with the radar gun haha.

Learnt my lesson but still hoping nothing will come in the mail.

Thanks

HSC
haha fuck, i love when you're on the highway and you can tell when there's a cop with a radar gun ahead, 'cause every car in every lane hits the brakes at exactly the same time.

Jiga

^

Lol yeah, that and how on double demerit weekends most people drive to the limit on roads that usually everyone speeds on :rolleyes:

As for the radar gun, if he was on you he would have pulled you over I think.... he more than likely had it aimed at someone else.

HSC
My brother says they can still take down ur number plate and send u something in the mail .. Ahh i hate not knowing whats gonna happen

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
hahaha speaking of coppers with radar guns.
This morning on the way to work, in bumper to bumper 10kmh traffic there's two cops stading there with a gun.

I lol'd at them.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
*same kind of obnoxious laugh that judge judy gives to the defendents when they make an utterly stupid and pathetic excuse*

No.

My tutor, who was in an unmarked car and who was not even on duty issued over $1000 worth of fines via mail to a guy who was swerving accross the road, being rude and driving dangerously.

No, the lidar tells them the speed you were going. It's the individuals decision whether to issue a fine. You can be going 1 KM/h over and they could issue it. It would be slack to issue it for being just a tiney bit over the limit though.

Nope. They aim at a car and shoot. There are no other factors. Radar yes, Lidar no.

She isn't worried about whether she can driver, she is worried about whether she is going to be fined.
hi optophobia.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I'm pretty sure they can't fine you for being 1km over the limit, because they have to account for your speedo being off and the like.

Or maybe they can, but they just never do. Meh, whenever I see a radar gun it's always somewhere that's impossible to be going over the limit, like around a corner, or on a packed road. And fixed cameras are obvious enough.

Jiga

^

I think you can be booked, but you could take it to court and win because there is room for error which obviously wouldnt have been taken into account if they book you for 1km/h over.

HSC
How but could he get my number plate? The radar doesnt take a photo of ur number plate and its not as though he has a pen and paper in his hand as well as the radar

Jiga

The police man could, but he would be a bit of a tight arse if he did. It would be his word against yours and so long as

the equipment is not faulty, and
the law says that going 1 KM/H over the speed limit is illegal

then he can fine you.
Yes but it wont hold if you take it to court, its common knowledge that speedos aernt EXACT.

How but could he get my number plate? The radar doesnt take a photo of ur number plate and its not as though he has a pen and paper in his hand as well as the radar
I WOULD NOT worry about it, common practice is that they detect your speeding, then pull you over... it would be very rare that they just write your details down, thats even if they had enough time in your particular situation, which they wouldnt have!

jesswillie

HSC
a police officer cannot fine you for being 1km over the speed limit nor can he use his discretion to fine you for being a km over, thats incorrect but then again i dont know the laws in your state. i know in the state of victoria the law is your permitted 3km over the limit before you can legally be issued with a fine. to be honest with you i wouldnt be too worried about it. my speedo is 6km out which means if doing 100km im really only doing 94km which is good cause the cops cannot book me even when I'm 6km over lol. I wouldnt worry too much about it mate, most people have their speedos out by 6km,well alot of people ive spoken 2 anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)