sport injustice (1 Viewer)

wLym

HSC
Does anyone find a particular sport discriminative or stereotyped?

basketball stereotypes players on their physical build. Taller players are confined to playing 'centre' which does not particularly utilise the players personal capabilities and make them feel left out of the team. Smaller players generally get 'all the action'. I believe this sport needs to open its mind a bit. I believe players need a fair go and not be confined to 'generalised roles' based on their physical nature.

Anyone elses opinion on this or sports of their own?

Last edited:

blakegman

HSC
N/A
played basketball for many many years and i am going to forgive you and assume you havent played basketball before.

How does being a centre not utilise their capabilities ? if they are tall ?
just because someone plays centre doesnt mean they are out of the action, they are usually if anything more involved, as they have to spend most of the time in the key, where the majority of players are. if someone is tall AND a good shooter, then they play power forward.

thats the point of 5 different positions, to cater for differences in capabilities. a 7 foot giant just wont make a good point guard, too slow and the distance from the floor to the arm is longer, meaning easier to steal.

i honestly cant see where your going with that argument.

the only type of discrimination in basketball is a preferance for black players over white because they play a more exciting brand of basketball, even if slightly less skillful

zingerburger

HSC
I would have to agree with blakegman on that one. The players' roles on the court are specific, which mostly has to do with their physical build.

A 6-foot tall player that would normally play point-guard is going to get dunked in his face if the matchup required him to defend a 7-foot centre in the key regularly. Likewise, if a centre was matched up with a point-guard on the perimeter, the guard will breeze past the centre almost every time.

And a position like small-forward usually requires a mix of size and athleticism because they're always driving to the basket for an easier shot, or cutting to the basket for pass, where they have to break free of defenders and have the size to face up to a centre of power-forward in the paint.

On a different note, I think a highly discriminatory sport is Quidditch. Muggles should be allowed to play, not just the magically gifted. It requires no magical skill, and is mostly based on physical and athletic skill by the looks of it.

wLym

HSC
this thought of mine has been aroused perhaps because of my circumstances. Yes, i have played bball b4. I have always been a good ranged shooter, dribbler, and have great drive and athleticism - these skills come naturally to me. But, Yes, in recent years I have become tall. As a result, I have been assigned as a centre, but playing centre is not suited to me. I never receive any passes, I always jump and am told not to shoot from the boundary, not to dribble, but to stand in the key and get all the rebounds and pass out.
Thats it.

This is not fair to my style of play, and just because i am tall, they assign me a position that does not suit my skills. Perhaps its just my team, or something, but it has lead to me beleive taht being center is no fun at all...

blakegman

HSC
N/A
why listen to your team ? start dribbling the ball and scoring points and itll shut them up quick smart. ive played significantly higher then rep level in basketball and have never told a player or heard someone tell a placyer not to shoot or dribble simply because they are tall. fair enough them asking you to rebound, boards make a good team great

D347H574R

Liverpudlian
HSC
wLym said:
this thought of mine has been aroused perhaps because of my circumstances. Yes, i have played bball b4. I have always been a good ranged shooter, dribbler, and have great drive and athleticism - these skills come naturally to me. But, Yes, in recent years I have become tall. As a result, I have been assigned as a centre, but playing centre is not suited to me. I never receive any passes, I always jump and am told not to shoot from the boundary, not to dribble, but to stand in the key and get all the rebounds and pass out.
Thats it.

This is not fair to my style of play, and just because i am tall, they assign me a position that does not suit my skills. Perhaps its just my team, or something, but it has lead to me beleive taht being center is no fun at all...
Yea mate, you just gotta prove your team wrong..

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
man this is rubbish, which sport isn't biased towards those who are built for the sport? skinny ones for marathons, wide shoulders for hammer throws, really fit ones for ball sports.

wLym

HSC
why listen to your team ? start dribbling the ball and scoring points and itll shut them up quick smart. ive played significantly higher then rep level in basketball and have never told a player or heard someone tell a placyer not to shoot or dribble simply because they are tall. fair enough them asking you to rebound, boards make a good team great
Yea mate, you just gotta prove your team wrong..
Thank you for your encouragement. Thanks for giving some solid foundation to my thoughts about this. Ill try my best to go back to my old ways, have fun, strut some stuff, and not hide away because my team doesnt believe in me.

beksta21

HSC
wLym said:
Does anyone find a particular sport discriminative or stereotyped?

I believe this sport needs to open its mind a bit. I believe players need a fair go and not be confined to 'generalised roles' based on their physical nature.

Anyone elses opinion on this or sports of their own?
it's not just within the sport that the stereotypes exist.
i've played softball for nine years, and although there are stereotypes within softball (agile, fast players play pivots, bigger players play corners etc), i find that most of the stereotypes come from outside.
according to the general public, because i play softball, i must be a lesbian!
in saying this, there are a high population of lesbians in our sport.
BUT NOT EVERYONE!
gah. it makes me mad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)