SPORTS MED CRITICAL QUESTION: should athletes be able to use painkillers? (1 Viewer)

league_girl

HSC
Q: Debate issues such as:
Should athletes be allowed to use pain killers in order to compete with an injury?

Anyone have any point for the use of pain killers?

surfing_chaos

HSC is goooone
HSC
you need to examine the positives and negatives.. such as... they might need them to deal with small amount of pain such as a headache, that would not contribute to other injuries... but if they use them to cover the pain for say a torn muscle, they might injure it more... theres alot to write about really

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
most elite athletes are encouraged to take pain killers if that injury isn't that serious... (find out by MRI scans etc)... but there are lot's of factors that are involved... i.e. the pressure to perform... an example of this is seen nearly every year int he NRL where a player gets injured in the lead up to the finals and is put on a very intense rehab program as well pain killers to get back to the team asap.. other circumstances too... but i reckon it's ok to use pain killers in an elite sport...

my opinion anyway...

cheers

shannonmaree

HSC
Check the Macquarie Revision Guide. I believe it has lots of info in it - actually, just checked and i cant find it (?).

Mostly i would weigh up the positives and negatives. A positive would be for example, it ridding the player of pain - but in turn, this has a -ve consequence as pain suggests injury and if the pain is masked then they won't know if they are further injurying the area.

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
is that an actual past question.. if so how many marks is it worth?... when u get back to me i would have attmpted to answer this question and will post it in the near future if so...

cheers

league_girl

HSC
there was one in a catholic schools trial but it was very vaigue like most of those papers are, it focused more on pain killers to help player who are returning to play befor fully recovered, which wasn't really focusing on the critical question.
>>>
it was along the lines of: examine the influences on an athlete returning to play before fully recovered from a previous unjury and the adv and dis advantages of using drugs during this process....
>>>
i think this question was made easy because it was the benefits of using drugs to increase safety when returning to play early.

the only point i have come up with so far FOR the use of pain killing drugs was that it aids in allowing them to participate in rehab processes, can sometimes also reduce swelling (if it contains an anti inflammatory as well) and it provides comfort.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)