Sr potential? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey, so im currently at a 98 raw mark for x2, 100% in all assessments including trials but fumbled a few marks on the very first task due to silly errors. Ranked first internally though there are 3 guys in my x2 class lol. Do i still have a chance to get an sr? Or does it only depend on rank+external raw mark or..?
Thanks!

d1zzyohs

HSC
100% in trials to me indicates a few things (along with the fact you only have three classmates):
either your exams are non-standardised (school-written exams), and your exams are easy,
OR you are a genius, and get 100% in every exam.

It is highly unlikely you will get 100% raw in externals. I'm sure it does happen, with some child genius, but it really is unheard of. To exaggerate the magnitude of difficulty in extension 2, around a 74 raw becomes a ~90 mark.

So here is some of your issues:
1. Your tasks are most likely easy.
2. Your task marks don't matter, only your rank does. This is intended so that schools who set easy exams aren't aided.
3. You go to a relatively low-grade school, or a small rural school, hence the low numbers in extension 2 (this means that your cohorts performance years prior is likely to be average).

I have to make a lot of assumptions here, because you've provided us no detail. If you get 100 in the Extension 2 HSC exam as well as all your assessments, I'm sure you would have a shot at the state rank. But, with the info you've provided, it seems more like your co-ordinator is setting exams that are far too easy, or you go to a school full of geniuses.

HSC
100% in trials to me indicates a few things (along with the fact you only have three classmates):
either your exams are non-standardised (school-written exams), and your exams are easy,
OR you are a genius, and get 100% in every exam.

It is highly unlikely you will get 100% raw in externals. I'm sure it does happen, with some child genius, but it really is unheard of. To exaggerate the magnitude of difficulty in extension 2, around a 74 raw becomes a ~90 mark.

So here is some of your issues:
1. Your tasks are most likely easy.
2. Your task marks don't matter, only your rank does. This is intended so that schools who set easy exams aren't aided.
3. You go to a relatively low-grade school, or a small rural school, hence the low numbers in extension 2 (this means that your cohorts performance years prior is likely to be average).

I have to make a lot of assumptions here, because you've provided us no detail. If you get 100 in the Extension 2 HSC exam as well as all your assessments, I'm sure you would have a shot at the state rank. But, with the info you've provided, it seems more like your co-ordinator is setting exams that are far too easy, or you go to a school full of geniuses.
Yeah i get it, and youre right, I do go to a rural school which i guess isnt as competitive as James Ruse, for example. But with regards to ur other points, I sat the CSSA Ext 2 trial so it wasnt made by my teachers. I guess my main question, which i didnt make clear enough, was what kinds of raw marks do the ppl who state rank ext 2 get? just out of curiosity.

idkkdi

HSC
Yeah i get it, and youre right, I do go to a rural school which i guess isnt as competitive as James Ruse, for example. But with regards to ur other points, I sat the CSSA Ext 2 trial so it wasnt made by my teachers. I guess my main question, which i didnt make clear enough, was what kinds of raw marks do the ppl who state rank ext 2 get? just out of curiosity.
if u 100ed cssa and that is externally marked. u got a decent chance if u dont choke.

d1zzyohs

HSC
if u 100ed cssa and that is externally marked. u got a decent chance if u dont choke.
Yeah, if you 100ed CSSA raw that's pretty insane, and you have a decent chance. What might mess you up is your school, but as long as you get those kind of marks externally I reckon you could do it.

Good luck.

HSC
Yeah, if you 100ed CSSA raw that's pretty insane, and you have a decent chance. What might mess you up is your school, but as long as you get those kind of marks externally I reckon you could do it.

Good luck.
thanks for that, but incase you read this, could u tell me what kinds of raw marks ppl who state rank ext 2 get? i know it may vary from year to year, but if u have any info about last year or any other year, please share. Thanks again

carrotsss

HSC
At the end of the day you’re obviously really smart, but it’s just a matter of how you perform on the day, just a few silly mistakes make the difference for a state rank.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
naila said:
i just started year 11, so might be kinda early to start thinking abt this, idk. but i had a few questions that i thought might help me decide whether or not to do mx2.

1. how many hours do you need to dedicate to it in a day?
2. what marks and ranks should you be getting in mx1 for you to consider mx2?
3. what sort of criteria do you need to meet to 'qualify' to do mx2?
4. just generally, who would you recommend does mx2?

btw, the reasons why i'm considering mx2 are a) my overall mark last year was fairly decent, b) i quite like maths, esp the feeling of finally solving a challenging question, c) i wanna get a high atar, so scaling lol, and d) it just sounds really cool and rewarding to do what is often deemed as 'the most challenging hsc course', and tbh, i wanna challenge myself by doing it (but not so much that it affects my atar negatively).
so yeah. feel free to ask any questions.
1. I did not take Mathematics Extension 2 myself, so perhaps other people who took this subject can provide more specific advice. However, what I can say is that Mathematics Extension 2 constitutes an increase in difficulty from Mathematics Extension 1, making it a demanding subject. Based on this, it would be reasonable to suggest that you will likely need to allocate a considerable amount of study time towards it compared to your other subjects if you wish to perform favourably.

2. The specific marks/ranks that you need to achieve may depend/differ between schools. For instance, back when I was in year 11, my school required students interested in taking Mathematics Extension 2 to be achieving at least 90 in Mathematics (now known as Mathematics Advanced) as well as at least 80 in Mathematics Extension 1. Generally speaking, you should be aiming for the best possible results/ranks in both Mathematics Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1. The better your position, the more you will present yourself as being capable of taking and performing well in Mathematics Extension 2.

3. Other than favourable performance in Mathematics Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1, you are pretty much looking at "informal" requirements that are more related to your characteristics as a student. These include your determination, diligence and commitment to studying Mathematics Extension 2, which you can demonstrate by ensuring favourable performance in Mathematics Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1 throughout year 11.

4. I would recommend that students whose performance in both Mathematics Advanced and Mathematics Extension 1 has been of a consistently high standard throughout year 11, and provided that such students strongly believe that they can mirror such a standard in Mathematics Extension 2 (which also implies their readiness to commit to a more demanding subject), take Mathematics Extension 2. This is important because Mathematics Extension 2 can pose a negative impact on the ATAR of students who fail to perform at a sufficiently high standard.

Mathematics Extension 2 is also treated as assumed knowledge and a prerequisite (in the case of USyd as well as a few degrees at other universities), which may also be a reason for students to take this subject.

I hope this helps! 😄

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
NESA Requirements:

60 hours
  • The Mathematics Extension 1 Year 12 course should be taught prior to or concurrently with this course.
  • Students should experience content in the course in familiar and routine situations as well as unfamiliar situations.
  • Students should be provided with regular opportunities involving the integration of technology to enrich the learning experience.

nathanzhou1234

HSC
i just started year 11, so might be kinda early to start thinking abt this, idk. but i had a few questions that i thought might help me decide whether or not to do mx2.

1. how many hours do you need to dedicate to it in a day?
2. what marks and ranks should you be getting in mx1 for you to consider mx2?
3. what sort of criteria do you need to meet to 'qualify' to do mx2?
4. just generally, who would you recommend does mx2?

btw, the reasons why i'm considering mx2 are a) my overall mark last year was fairly decent, b) i quite like maths, esp the feeling of finally solving a challenging question, c) i wanna get a high atar, so scaling lol, and d) it just sounds really cool and rewarding to do what is often deemed as 'the most challenging hsc course', and tbh, i wanna challenge myself by doing it (but not so much that it affects my atar negatively).

so yeah. feel free to ask any questions.
I did Maths Olympiad from Y7-10 so MX2 was pretty chill. My advice would be to start earlier for study as its a massive slog

member 6003

HSC
Extension 2 is good if you like maths. It essentially means that maths will make up a higher percentage of your ATAR which is good if its your best subject. I would say roughly that the jump from advanced to ext 1 is a bit less than the jump from ext 1 to ext 2. In terms of ranks if there is like 1 class of ext 2 for you school, probably don't try if your below the top 25, and definitely do it if your in the top 5.

If I was you I would start the Extension 2 syllabus now, just pirate the cambridge textbook or something similar, select some problems to do and work through the chapters. Use other resources because the textbook can be kind of annoying sometimes. Or I'd join an extension 2 tuition if it was good. You seem to like harder problems, you'll find them in extension 2.

carrotsss

HSC
1. Depends, but my general opinion is that you shouldn’t spend more than 40% of your time doing maths work, given that it makes up 40% of your ATAR. It’s important not to neglect subjects like English which must count to your ATAR, even if they’re less enjoyable.
2. It really depends on how hard your schools assessments are and how well ranked your school is. Generally prelims are pretty consistent though, so I’d say 70%+ on your extension 1 prelim would be ideal, but its definitely not the be all and end all
3. Depends on the school, officially by NESA you only need to do maths ext 1 to be eligible, but many schools have additional requirements to make sure only capable people get in (e.g. my school required an A in advanced)
4. If you’re genuinely interested in maths then you’ll love extension two. It makes ext 1 seem like a total joke, and it’s honestly easily my favourite subject so far. It’s definitely not for everyone though, half of my class have already dropped, so don’t pick it just for scaling if you’re not genuinely passionate about maths.

carrotsss

HSC
If I was you I would start the Extension 2 syllabus now, just pirate the cambridge textbook or something similar, select some problems to do and work through the chapters. Use other resources because the textbook can be kind of annoying sometimes. Or I'd join an extension 2 tuition if it was good. You seem to like harder problems, you'll find them in extension 2.
This is a good idea but at the same time be sure to not be put off if you struggle having not learnt the content yet, it’s obviously going to be easier to understand once you actually have a teacher explaining everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)