Stage scriptwriters (1 Viewer)

Kitty_182

HSC
Hey Everyone,

Is there anyone else out there doing a stage play for their major work? It would be really cool having someone else I could bounce Ideas off and get some more feedback and critisism from.

My Extension 2 class is really small, there's only 3 of us and they've all chosen different mediums, so it would be great for some different opinions.

Hope to talk to u guys soon!

Thanks

xoxo Chrissy

}}'l'{{

ezaweirdo

HSC
hay kitty, i am also doing a theatre script and am finding it harder then i first expected. the themes that i am doing are sort of religion and homosexuality and i am taking a very symbolic expressionistic approach to it, lots of lighting and special effects. i think it sounds like a great idea to bounce ideas off each other and i would be happy to help in that regard.:) :wave:

Kitty_182

HSC
Hey everyone,

My ideas are based on women in the media, stereotypes and conformity. I've also thrown some substance abuse issues and family stuff aswell. My work is mostly inspired by Bertolt Brecht and the way he distanced the audience.

I really love script writing, however it really is harder than i thought it would be...I find the structure to be the hardest.

How is everyone's journal's going, my'ns pretty heavy...so much crap hehe.

I have my viva voce on thursday :S eeek!!!

If anyone wants to read some of my work or wants me to read some of theirs my email address is; Punk_kitty_41@hotmail.com

anyway, hope to hear from everyone soon

Chrissy XX

AntonTheswan

Emisary Of The Gorgonites
From the forest itself comes the handle for the ax
HSC
Berthold Brecht distanced the audience? Umm...ok.
Maybe I've misunderstood you but Brechtian theatre as I remember involved the audience, to stimulate their reflection on the issues he was espousing. I'm probably wrong but it just seemed odd.
Your work sounds great.

Mine is a metafictional script, examining the playwriting process itself. Basically three theatre critics try to write a play. Its pretty terrible but I've had fun and I dont feel like I wasted my time, as I've done so little work up to this point, but i'm ahed of most people I've spoken to.

zvezda

HSC
I'm doing a drama script, everyone else in my class is doing short stories or critical analysis. Themes include Love overcoming prejudice, Stockholm syndrome sortof (Falling in love with your captor), Music (LOTS of music) Revolution - Its very Russia 1917 overthrow with a princess and everything...

Getting very complicated... What do you think of these themes? Oh and it's a tragedy too, so people die ^^

edensmells

HSC
Hey guys, I know extension 2 is over and I'm a little slow on here but oh well. Someone said Brecht "distanced" the audience. This is right but not in a literal sense. They didn't have binoculars to watch the play but rather certain techniques he employed reminded the audience that they were in the theatre watching actors not a re-enactment of reality. This means they were "distanced"/ sat back and thought about the themes and ideas of the play.

Sounds really wanky but I've found the process of writing the script has been more inspiring than the actual finished product. I wrote a stage play which is a hybridisation of Absurdist theatre and Epic theatre. Basically Epic theatre techniques to achieve didacticism but with nihilistic absurdist ideology- the moral is that one creates their own reality so ditch the ties to meta-narratives that inform your every move. Live happily and freely from oppresive constraints. It also parodies motivational speakers, in particular Anthony Robbins, suggesting that if worst comes to worst ( you become addicted to drugs, a prostitute, raped by a goat and kicked out of home) smile, because you have all the specifications of a motivational speaker thus making you eligble to write shit books and charge exhorbitant prices for them.

If anyone is interested in having a read, especially year 11 kids who are considering script writing my email is grant_blake@hotmail.com

Just a warning: i was told not to do absurdism because it is over done. This particular man who spoke at the E2 convention in the city, said the only absurdist play for e2 that was any good was a hybridisation of absurdism and greek theatre with masks and a chorus and all that. So try and mix it up with something original.

Also many people say becareful when doing a postmodern text. You can't be too whingey and blame everything on postmodernists, although it is a good outlet sometimes- fucking Sartre!

matmatt

HSC
Why hello, i'm also writing a script for my MW.
Mine is roughyl (very roughly) based upon the columbine school shootings and no, it is not a blood and gore filled operation as too many have presumed. My story follows the ending days of a boy who will end up shooting up the school and it is a monodrama from the perspective of the Phychologist who the boy comes to for aoppointments.
Should be fun, so how many of us do drama as well? Would it be safe to say all?

chumpette

HSC
i'm doing a play script as well. Does anyone know the word limit for a script?

A

Apricot-Angel

Oooh! I'm also doing a script for my Major Work and, seriously, it's such a strange idea! My idea sounds....very unsophisticated :S

k.a.r.i.n.a

HSC
I'm doing a stageplay as well. It's so much fun writing it (so far). In a nutshell, it's a postmodernist, subverted absurdist play that uses Einstein's theory of relativity to provide a context (or lack thereof), so that the exploration of people's perceptions of reality can be emphasised. It questions if there is a "right" or "wrong" perception, and if so, if there is some kind of "absolute truth". I would explain it in more detail but I'm buggered, and I have Maths half-yearlies tomorrow. lol. :bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)