Stalemate on the Western Front (1 Viewer)

Immolate

Elvish Warrior!
HSC
Hey,

Does anyone know why it was so hard to break the stalemate on the Western Front? I have to write an extended response on it and my so called "teacher" hasn't taught us anything on the subject.

Thanks

aimstar555

HSC
the reason it was so hard to break the stalemate: hava look @ the attempts:

1) Verdun (feb/nov 1916): 10 00 shells, turned into a killing spree, introduced gas and flame throwers

2) Somme (july/nov 1916): use of shells that didn't breal the barbed wire, trenches were too strong-didn't kill the men.

3) Passchendale (july/nov 1917): whether conditions (rain), took infantry 5 hours to travel 1.6 km

4) German spring offensive (may/july 1918): Shortages on German home front, French stopped British support in order to protect paris,

5) Allied Counter-offensive (aug/nov 1918): use of tanks, Germans had no supplies once they reached Paris, Ludendorff couldn't match the US etc.

Hope this helps. peace out :)

Gooba

HSC
The stalemate on the western Front was a result of militatary commanders using outdated tactics and stratagies to destroy the enemey. If you look back at past British and German campaigns, tactics basically revolved around firing a whole bunch of arty and then charging the opponents trenches. The invention and deployment of new technology made that tactic reduntant. Generals (such as Haig) were so used to paying out of the old handbook that they failed to adapt tactics to suit the situation. This resulted in the stalemate on the Front.

Sorry for the wording, there is more stuff as well but im lazy

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Dont forget Trench warfare - it meant that neither side could move - thus the trenches stoped the war of movement =ing stalemate

Candypants

Basically it was the General's fault.
1. They used archaic methods of warfare and were completely unaccustomed to a war of attrition. Their failed battles demonstrate their faith in the 'big push theory', which took them 3 years to discover it wouldn't work.
2. Technology. New tech such as the machine gun was perfect for defensive warfare. They also misunderstood how to use devices such as the tank to its max potential.

ZabZu

HSC
Yeh, i reckon the main reason is the fact that an army defended its position with machine guns and artillery which both recorded a large amount of casualties. This made it extremely difficult to break through the lines

LaurenB

HSC
Weapons of defence greatly overpowered weapons of attack. Not to mention Generals like haig who still thought the cavalry was an excellent method of warfare. Haig is also good to consider in the use of tanks as he brought them in too quickly, they needed to be used in the right way.
These are the points i've written out for the dot point
Schlieffen plan failed
German and Allied armies spread from Switzerland to English Channel
East Germany defeat Russia and extend to Poland
Tactics of defence; based around trenches, barbed wire, machine guns, artillery bombardment
Defence superior to offence
An attack meant huge casualties and little territorial gain
Development of machine guns and magazine rifles
Nature of trench warfare didn’t favour frontal attack
Took generals a long time to rethink tactics
Neither side could gain advantage or make a major breakthrough
Allies land troops in Dardanelles (entrance to the Black Sea)
Use of gas (1915)
Air warfare, miners make tunnels under no-man’s land
Flame-throwers, planes and submarines
New tactics/strategies changes in leadership
Offensives (huge) Somme – relieve pressure at Verdun, artillery bombardment didn’t work, Britain 420,000 French 194,000 gained 77m/day at 3000 men, 1 man per 2.5cm of advance. And Verdun – February 1916, had symbolic importance, commanded entry to France, attrition, every hour 1000 shells fell on Verdun French 400,000, Germany 340,000
Try to get new Allies
Blockades (any ship that might bring supplies to other side)
Attrition
New battlefronts and methods ‘Bite and hold’ 'leapfrogging’ ‘infiltration’
Tanks (not effective till 1917)

muzzling

HSC
Hey all, stalemate on the western front... Its pretty difficult to collate all the info which everyone gives out, so i gave my own little 2 cents worth in a neat little bundle... god i'm a pretentious dick...
x
enjoy

LaTeRaLuS

HSC
Wow, how lucky i am.I stayed home today just to try and finish my assessment on the exact same subject. Thanks for the good information.

sK...

HSC
N/A
Well, i practically just wrote out an essay for your, but it fked up...

so here's my study notes.

they're big enough to print out and stick on your wall as well. so there's a bonus....

personally i like mine better than some of the stuff people have written... i don't think it's all right...

cheers

sK...

HSC
N/A
oh, and i don't think i mentioned...

research "ALL ARMS TEAM"

and also for one of the first effective employments of the all arms team, discuss the battle of HAMEL (sp?) with Lt. Gen Monash (australia)

all the objectives were achieved in 90 mins, for minimal loss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)