Standard English Problems. (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I fuckin' suck at English so, I do Standard, and I was wondering if I could get an ATAR of 97.5+ with a band 5 in English.
Because atm I think the highest I could get would be like 86, and that's kinda pushing it.
Is it possible with the subjects I have?
What kind of marks would I need for everything else?

FrozenSky

HSC
Please do not fret, believe in yourself and work hard - then you'll be there.
For example, i was a complete failure in english (ranked ~5th last in ADV eng for prelim). At the beginning of yr 12 i dropped to STD, and expected nothing more than 75 in eng std. However in the end i achieved rank 1 and a band 6 in english.

Don't worry about pushing the boundaries, that's what you're suppose to do.

jNguyen008

HSC
OMG, im in the same situation and my atar aim is 90
and im doing english standard as well, i want to have 80 for english. Can some one give me some tips.
i might need a tutor for english..

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 75% in my standard prelim which i thought was good since i dropped from advanced and bullshitted half the stuff :p
but in my last test i got 10/15 and every practice essay i get the same, so, i have lost confidence and think i'll be pushing a band 5 in english for the hsc :/

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Well... if you know you're a weak writer you will generally resort to memorising...
I've written up a guide in how to write an english essay, and how to memorise it properly
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=254128
I hope it helps?
I'm actually okay at essays. I just don't learn enough in class to form a propper understanding of the texts and I resort to memorising about 10 uotes and forming my essays around that and the question :/
Thanks for the link, I'll print myself a copy and force myself to read it :p

gesh17

HSC
N/A
I fuckin' suck at English so, I do Standard, and I was wondering if I could get an ATAR of 97.5+ with a band 5 in English.
Because atm I think the highest I could get would be like 86, and that's kinda pushing it.
The rest of your subjects are scale very well especially with the extensions and chem - 97.5 is certainly plausible. In terms of English though, just ensure that your fundamentals (i.e. techniques, conceptual topic sentences, etc.) are definitely there - this is specially important with Standard I think. Beyond that though, I think doing well in English is all about forming your own opinions on different things or doing outside reading that makes a HSC Marker at least pause for a moment IMO.

OMG, im in the same situation and my atar aim is 90
and im doing english standard as well, i want to have 80 for english. Can some one give me some tips.
i might need a tutor for english..
See Above. I also offer tutoring if you're interested.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The rest of your subjects are scale very well especially with the extensions and chem - 97.5 is certainly plausible. In terms of English though, just ensure that your fundamentals (i.e. techniques, conceptual topic sentences, etc.) are definitely there - this is specially important with Standard I think. Beyond that though, I think doing well in English is all about forming your own opinions on different things or doing outside reading that makes a HSC Marker at least pause for a moment IMO.
I did this in Advanced and the teacher failed me... and he's been an HSC marker for years... and then he said I didn't understand it correctly, just beause I fuckin' thought about it myself...
Thanks for the info. I'll just try and keep all my other subject marks in the high 80s... Which they aren't at the moment :/

gesh17

HSC
N/A
I did this in Advanced and the teacher failed me... and he's been an HSC marker for years... and then he said I didn't understand it correctly, just beause I fuckin' thought about it myself...
Thanks for the info. I'll just try and keep all my other subject marks in the high 80s... Which they aren't at the moment :/
Well, he's a fairly ordinary teacher then. In that case, why don't you send me one of your essays and I'll take a look to see where you're at?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, he's a fairly ordinary teacher then. In that case, why don't you send me one of your essays and I'll take a look to see where you're at?
My essays now are shit. Even I don't read them. and I do none outside class. anymore.

smartalec

HSC
if you suck at english, then you will have to try really hard.
to get a band 5 (80) youre in the top like 9% of all standard students. and its not because theyre stupid - its the alligning.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
if you suck at english, then you will have to try really hard.
to get a band 5 (80) youre in the top like 9% of all standard students. and its not because theyre stupid - its the alligning.
Shit...

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
resort to memorising your essays but learn to adapt them to the essay question.
keep fixing your essays until they are perfect and then regurgitate them in the exam

Also, it is possible to get 97+ if you do Standard English.
I did Standard English, got a state rank and got an ATAR above 99.7 + (not going to say the actual atar)
I'm doing Combined Law at UNSW now

so yes, it is possible

it aligns poorly so you'll have to get a high raw mark to get a Band 5. However, this is not difficult if you can write perfect essays.
most importantly, ensure you have a strong thesis, it has to be sustained throughout your essay and supported with evidence (techniques)
its not that difficult

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
you will need to get 99 in all of your other subjects
also are you really a father of 2?

funnytomato

HSC
which course are you aiming for ?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
you will need to get 99 in all of your other subjects
also are you really a father of 2?
I don't think you would need to get 99 in all the other subjects
I got a state rank in English Standard, 97 + in all my other subjects and I got an ATAR above 99.7
I think for 97 ATAR, you'd need 95 in all the other subjects, maybe around 90 would do if the subjects are scaled well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)