• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Standard English Scaling (1 Viewer)

NivinSubbanna

HSC
because i know for a fact that english is not my best subject. im being realistic here. band 6 in advanced is pretty hard to get (for me at least), but a band 5 sounds more feasible. but if i can get an atar of 95 with standard then im gonna stick with it

NivinSubbanna

HSC
but does BOSTES? :p
nah. but like. how hard is it to get band 6 in extension math? im 80% confident i can achieve the other subject marks though. all i have to do is get high ranks in everything right?. Whats easier to get? band 5 in standard or band 5 in advanced?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
so with my subjects (and assuming i go to advanced english and get a band 5) and achieve band 6s in most of my other subjects, would i get atar of 95? or would i need consistent band 6's?
(and everyone i know who has done the hsc already has done advanced lol)
Yea its easy. Could get 95+ without band6s and high scaling subjects

NivinSubbanna

HSC
hmmm. my thoughts now are that i should stick with standard (because im mildly confident i can get band 6's in my other subjects). but on the other hand, i dont want to do standard and then have it bite my ass later down the line when i dont achieve a band 6 and get a band 5 in another one of my subjects

photastic

HSC
but does BOSTES? :p
nah. but like. how hard is it to get band 6 in extension math? im 80% confident i can achieve the other subject marks though. all i have to do is get high ranks in everything right?. Whats easier to get? band 5 in standard or band 5 in advanced?
BOSTES does not control your atar, its UAC which you can find out the marks required for 95 with their scaling reports on their website. An E4/Band 6 in ext 1 math is achievable if you confidently understand the concepts and constantly exposing yourself to exam questions. With standard and advanced, since standard aligns worse than advanced, in terms of marks advanced is easier to get a band 5, but the prescribed texts in standard is easier so there's several factors that determines difficulty depending on your abilities. However, standard and advanced both do the same exam (different questions) so there's something to think about.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
For the love of god.... Don't do standard

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
hmmm. my thoughts now are that i should stick with standard (because im mildly confident i can get band 6's in my other subjects). but on the other hand, i dont want to do standard and then have it bite my ass later down the line when i dont achieve a band 6 and get a band 5 in another one of my subjects
So much easier doing better in advanced than in standard

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
You will never be able to B6 Standard, even if you think you're god. So don't be like it's okay, I'm gonna work really hard at standard and gonna get a B6 because that's not gonna happen. Ever.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Standard English scales close to Advanced English.

However the aligning for Standard English is horrible:

A state rank is essentially a 92
Nah state rank is moreso around 94+

In general a very small proportion of the state will even receive a Band 6 in Standard English. Its something like less than 0.5% of the students in the state who do Standard English actually receive a Band 6. Majority of the state (90+%) gets a mark below 80. Not very great.

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
You will never be able to B6 Standard, even if you think you're god. So don't be like it's okay, I'm gonna work really hard at standard and gonna get a B6 because that's not gonna happen. Ever.
After being destroyed by internal tasks and trash talk from our idiot head english teacher, Spiritual Being still pulled it off. Would've SR'd if he came 1st internally.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
You could say getting a b5 in standard is respective to a b6 in most other subjects due to the skew of marks. Despite this, it still pulled me down with a high 80. I told my sister this and now she's doing ex2 lel

Standard English scales close to Advanced English.

However the aligning for Standard English is horrible:

Nah state rank is moreso around 94+

In general a very small proportion of the state will even receive a Band 6 in Standard English. Its something like less than 0.5% of the students in the state who do Standard English actually receive a Band 6. Majority of the state (90+%) gets a mark below 80. Not very great.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
You could say getting a b5 in standard is respective to a b6 in most other subjects due to the skew of marks. Despite this, it still pulled me down with a high 80. I told my sister this and now she's doing ex2 lel
A high Band 5 in Standard is not an easy mark to get. You need to be somewhere in the top 3% of the Standard cohort for that.

Also for your ATAR, if you got the same mark in Advanced it would have pulled you down too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)