STANDARD vs ADVANCED ENGLISH??? (1 Viewer)

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
i know people have posted their thoughts on this debate as to whether there is any point in doing advanced and if it is actually scaled higher than advanced.... but ive been talking to a good friend of mine who is the principal of balgowlah boys high and has been teaching for many years and he seemed to suggest to me that it is EXTREMELY (he emphasised this word) hard to get a UAI of well into the 90s if you do standard english. So for this reason i have kept advanced english for year 12 and done OKAY (about 60% average) in the hope that i can improve in the final exam and still get into the 90s for my UAI :S can anyone please share their views on scaling of advanced and standard english... was this teacher i talked to wrong? thanks!

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
ive heard that advanced and standard scale the same. i also think its bs that its impossible to get a high UAI with standard english. you can get a high UAI with any subjects.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
matt_f64 said:
i know people have posted their thoughts on this debate as to whether there is any point in doing advanced and if it is actually scaled higher than advanced.... but ive been talking to a good friend of mine who is the principal of balgowlah boys high and has been teaching for many years and he seemed to suggest to me that it is EXTREMELY (he emphasised this word) hard to get a UAI of well into the 90s if you do standard english. So for this reason i have kept advanced english for year 12 and done OKAY (about 60% average) in the hope that i can improve in the final exam and still get into the 90s for my UAI :S can anyone please share their views on scaling of advanced and standard english... was this teacher i talked to wrong? thanks!

Isnt it a little late anyway? :p Adv and Standards are scaled exactly the same.

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
yeah yeah its too late lol but still im just curious cos i think its a load of crap that two subjects are scaled the same wen one (advanced) is clearly more difficult......

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
it actually isnt that much more difficult. i've done yr12 advanced and am currently doing yr12 standard, theres not much difference.

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
yeah yeah ok they arent THAT much different, but if u had to say one was more difficult than the other then advanced is more difficult... so y is the scaling the same, we shud all just do standard and get 90% instead of doin advanced and getin 60%.... and y r u doin standard this yr if u did advanced already :S??

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
oh ok, didnt u get the UAI for the course u wanted? and what marks did u get last time roughly and wat UAI did they give u?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
matt_f64 said:
yeah yeah ok they arent THAT much different, but if u had to say one was more difficult than the other then advanced is more difficult... so y is the scaling the same, we shud all just do standard and get 90% instead of doin advanced and getin 60%.... and y r u doin standard this yr if u did advanced already :S??
Due to the questions asked it is easier to answer to band 5/6 standards with Advanced then with Standard english.

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
ok so are u saying its easy to meet the criteria of band 5/6 in advanced than in standard... based on outcomes or whateva?

grimreaper

HSC
Quite simply, due to the marking criteria, its almost impossible to get full marks in a standard english essay. Yes they do scale the same, but its just too difficult to get high marks in standard - especially as the texts have little that is deep and meaningful to talk about when compared with advanced

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
1 person got band 6 in standard english last yr...also the dux from my scool in 2002 did standard english and got 99.3, she slaughtered evrything else but it is clear that it is not impossible to get a good uai with standard...howeva it is more difficult to get band 6 in standard thats y it scales better (90 in advanced reulted in 87, 90 in standard ended up being 94) <SAM> so yeh basically wot grimreaper said

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
so basically r u seein it is harder to get a good RAW exam mark in standard than in advanced? and then once u get ur RAW mark which is generally lower in standard, the scaling is equal??
and supra, wat do u mean standard scales better, its sposed to be equal so ur example wouldnt happen??

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
2 identical raw marks in Standard and Advanced English will scale to the same scaled marks.
However they will not scale to the same aligned mark.

A 75 aligned mark in Standard English may even be worth more than a 80 in Advanced English when converted to raw marks. No one really knows.

As for standard people not attaining a high UAI is quite possibly, because the less acedemic students tend to pick Standard English. As such, they may also not perform well in their other subjects, so it gives the impresion that doing standard english is really hard to attain a high UAI, when rather it could be just that the majority of the candidature weren't as acedemic.

I'm sure it's true that a lot of students in Standard English get well into the 90's for their UAI.

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
yep understood and i agree there. u can get 100 UAI with any subjects... if u get 100% in all ur exams and assessments (of course this doesnt happen) then yes ur guaranteed 100UAI but obviously if ur that smart ur not gonna be doin standard english or general maths hey!!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Ragerunner said:
2 identical raw marks in Standard and Advanced English will scale to the same scaled marks.
However they will not scale to the same aligned mark.

A 75 aligned mark in Standard English may even be worth more than a 80 in Advanced English when converted to raw marks. No one really knows.

As for standard people not attaining a high UAI is quite possibly, because the less acedemic students tend to pick Standard English. As such, they may also not perform well in their other subjects, so it gives the impresion that doing standard english is really hard to attain a high UAI, when rather it could be just that the majority of the candidature weren't as acedemic.

I'm sure it's true that a lot of students in Standard English get well into the 90's for their UAI.
yah sorry thats wot i meant, i shuda clarified... ;) and ragerunner is perfectly right

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)