STANDARD vs ADVANCED ENGLISH??? (1 Viewer)

Miss_Mirage86

Full-Time Princess
HSC
It is very difficult to get over 80 in ur hsc exam doing standard english but it isnt impossible. This is what my teacher has told me and he works for board of studies! That said, ive also heard that advanced isnt scaled higher than standard (though i think it should be becoz otherwise wats the point of doing advanced?!) but wat i think is that advanced english would scale ur marks up higher becoz of the more strength of students doing that course, if you all go well, ur all scaled up. So therefore i believe its the group of students that are scaled up, not the course just becoz its advanced.

I hope that made sense.

smallcattle

HSC
i know people who did ESL last year and got above 98, now ESL is scaled down if you dont already know, so surely people who is doing standard english can get over 90s

Last edited:

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
id say tommy lamp got a UAI of 75-85.... but then again he cud hav been a complete deadshit/dropout and gotten far less... or he cud hav been a perfectionist who got into the 90s but wudnt settle for nething less than 100.... im opting for 75-85 as all the best UNI courses in sydney need above 85 and id say he was a bit lazy and fell short... am i right tommy lamp ???

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
whats with the ........ just have a guess, maybe he'll give us a hint!
by the way tommy, what course are u aiming for at uni?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i think the fact that no one got over 90 for standard english last year is pretty telling. I think they mark standard a bit harder in the modules than they do in advanced but they scale the same. Or maybe the standard students were just bad last year.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's not harder to obtain high raw marks in Standard than in Advanced.

The distributions of raw marks from Paper 2 (Modules) are transformed to be the same as the distributions of marks of each group of students (Standard/Advanced) on Paper 1. This process uses the marks from Paper 1 to place both Paper 2 exams on the same scale. There can't be any bias in the marking of Paper 1, because markers don't know which students do Standard and which do Advanced.

To do well in Standard, you don't need to be absolutely amazing - you just need to beat everyone else.

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
Do you ever get sick of explaining this stuff Lazarus?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Yes. :(

Example.

I've been trying for some time now to create a giant FAQ to answer all of these questions, so we can just refer students to it... but it's terribly time-consuming, and a very large job for one person. I don't think it will be finished until next year.

This whole mess could have been avoided if the relevant bureaucracy had simply explained everything instead of just hiding it. Now it seems to be left to us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)