Start-Up Scholarship 2014!!!??? (1 Viewer)

ww0811

HSC
As part of the 2013-14 Budget the previous Government announced that the Student Start-up Scholarship would be converted into an income-contingent loan for new recipients of student payments in higher education from 1 January 2014. Legislation to implement this change is currently before Parliament but was not passed during the Spring sitting. Because of this, the Student Start up Scholarship will be available to new students commencing higher education study in the first semester of 2014.[/I][/I][/B]

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
From other sources, I've heard that the start-up scholarship becoming a loan is put on hold and commencing/continuing students are still able to get this without a loan.

ww0811

HSC
From other sources, I've heard that the start-up scholarship becoming a loan is put on hold and commencing/continuing students are still able to get this without a loan.

Yeah, i've heard that too.

confusing

HSC
I commenced in 2013 and am still eligible so I'm still getting it :p

HSC
But do you have to pay them back in the end or not?
No, not until the proposed changes are passed by the Senate. So for the $1000 or so dollars you can get in Semester 1 will be given to you without having to be repaid BUT the loan repayment thing might come into effect in Semester 2 therefore if you opt to use the loan you will have to pay back what you use for Semester 2.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
No, not until the proposed changes are passed by the Senate. So for the $1000 or so dollars you can get in Semester 1 will be given to you without having to be repaid BUT the loan repayment thing might come into effect in Semester 2 therefore if you opt to use the loan you will have to pay back what you use for Semester 2.
I don't think I will go for it even though I am eligible.

I'm not going to take money then repay them back if I don't need it. YA is enough for me I think.

HSC
I don't think I will go for it even though I am eligible.

I'm not going to take money then repay them back if I don't need it. YA is enough for me I think.
Yeah likewise here.. 1000 will be enough to cover textbooks and all that business anyway for the Semester 1 payment.

HSC
My ya basically disappeared after 2014 happened so thankfully I get start up (>1 dollar a fort night ) qualifies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)