Starting early: USA Universities (1 Viewer)

jjangshoe

HSC
I'm going into year 10 next year and was wondering what I could do at this stage to actively try to get into a prestigious university in the US. The course I'm looking into is medicine. I've skimmed through some docs and been to some conferences but everything is still a bit confusing (like the ivy league and things). What could I actively do to improve my chances of getting in? Will volunteering/working as a sort-of "medically" related job help?

Thanks,

jjangshoe

sy37

HSC
If you want to get into the ivy league uni's in the US, you are going to have to be above-and-beyond. AU uni's just look at ATAR, US uni's make you write admission essays, look at your extracurriculars, background etc. You've either got to be a) famous, b)a social justice warrior or c) highly highly intelligent to make it into there

At minimum, you'd need to be dux of your school, involved in heaps of charities / extracurriculars, leader of a sports team, won a few competitions, nothing short of straight A's, 99.95 atar

If you are asian, it's much tougher to get in (racial diversity quotas)

raphs11

HSC
You'd need to do the SAT and a few SAT subject tests. Minimum score even for consideration at an Ivy would be around 2250, although its easier to get into an Ivy like Dartmouth or Brown as opposed to Harvard or Yale. You can apply via the collegeboard website and I'd recommend studying immediately. The alternative is taking the IB as this is internationally recognised and you don't need to do the SAT, which is part of the American system. Other than that you need to demonstrate the type of person you are and this is why the essay as part of admission is so important. No need to necessarily be the Dux of your school and the 99.95 atar isn't necessary. Universities look for well balanced individuals. People who have received the maximum score of 2400 in the SAT, which is equivalent to 99.95 atar have been declined, so make sure your extra curriculars are really good.

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
What a stupid question.

Firstly Medicine in the USA is ALL POST GRADUATE. i.e you have to complete an undergraduate degree first (which is typically 4 years in the US).

It is near impossible to be accepted for Medicine in the US as an international student. In fact, all medical schools in the USA even discourage you from applying.

Secondly there's a word for people who look at prestige for medical schools: 'nutjobs'.

You also do realise if you get qualified in the USA (which will take 10+ years), you will not be accepted in Australia unless you go through the AMC Exam process (which would be another 1-3 years IF you pass their hard hurdles) which would give the same credence as if you had done medical school from Tahiti. Typically it would take 8 (at absolute minimum) years to finish medical school (forget about being a fully certified doctor yet) in the US.

I'm not being mean, just giving you a dose of the reality.

Nico51UStudy

HSC
N/A
I'm going into year 10 next year and was wondering what I could do at this stage to actively try to get into a prestigious university in the US. The course I'm looking into is medicine. I've skimmed through some docs and been to some conferences but everything is still a bit confusing (like the ivy league and things). What could I actively do to improve my chances of getting in? Will volunteering/working as a sort-of "medically" related job help?

Thanks,

jjangshoe
Hey jjangshoe,

There are a number of things you can do at this stage to get into a prestigious university in the U.S. From taking the most challenging course load, to studying for the SATs, deciding on SAT2s, engaging in meaningful extracurriculars and gaining more knowledge about which schools would give you the type of culture and education you are looking for. While I recommend the government organization EducationUSA for the basic knowledge on what to do, at present they do not give enough personal guidance or individualised action plans.

I work at 51UStudy, based in Melbourne, which offers a variety of service and advice which have been tried and tested. We have helped students get into Yale, Brown, and UChicago, amongst other top U.S., and are able to give you a glimpse into what university admissions are really looking for. Personally, I am from America and attended Columbia University in New York. We are the experts in Australia for this, and I would be happy to chat with you more to give you some advice on how to best prepare for this exciting educational journey.

-Nicole

Nico51UStudy

HSC
N/A
If you want to get into the ivy league uni's in the US, you are going to have to be above-and-beyond. AU uni's just look at ATAR, US uni's make you write admission essays, look at your extracurriculars, background etc. You've either got to be a) famous, b)a social justice warrior or c) highly highly intelligent to make it into there

At minimum, you'd need to be dux of your school, involved in heaps of charities / extracurriculars, leader of a sports team, won a few competitions, nothing short of straight A's, 99.95 atar

If you are asian, it's much tougher to get in (racial diversity quotas)
Sy37,

Much of this is very true!! You do need to be very smart to get in, however, somewhat average academics can make it into great schools that may not be ivy league, but still rank higher than University of Melbourne, like NYU or UCLA!

Nico51UStudy

HSC
N/A
What a stupid question.

Firstly Medicine in the USA is ALL POST GRADUATE. i.e you have to complete an undergraduate degree first (which is typically 4 years in the US).

It is near impossible to be accepted for Medicine in the US as an international student. In fact, all medical schools in the USA even discourage you from applying.

Secondly there's a word for people who look at prestige for medical schools: 'nutjobs'.

You also do realise if you get qualified in the USA (which will take 10+ years), you will not be accepted in Australia unless you go through the AMC Exam process (which would be another 1-3 years IF you pass their hard hurdles) which would give the same credence as if you had done medical school from Tahiti. Typically it would take 8 (at absolute minimum) years to finish medical school (forget about being a fully certified doctor yet) in the US.

I'm not being mean, just giving you a dose of the reality.
Reality? Go back under the bridge, troll.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Med is Post Grad. Just saying....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)