Starting HSC English Advanced (1 Viewer)

helloworld!

HSC
Hello!
Year 11 is finally over, and HSC year is literally a couple of weeks away. For this reason, I was wondering exactly which preliminary topics are tested in year 12, or is everything built up off of preliminary content? If so, which preliminary content should I focus on to achieve high marks in year 12? Do past HSC students have any other tips for HSC English and methods they followed to ace English?
Thank you,
helloworld!

SASH_06_X

HSC
Hello!
Year 11 is finally over, and HSC year is literally a couple of weeks away. For this reason, I was wondering exactly which preliminary topics are tested in year 12, or is everything built up off of preliminary content? If so, which preliminary content should I focus on to achieve high marks in year 12? Do past HSC students have any other tips for HSC English and methods they followed to ace English?
Thank you,
helloworld!
Some HSC topics and prelim topics are interrelated, for example, critical study of literature is common to both Y11 and 12, and reading to write builds upon some of the concepts you'll need for Mod C in the HSC syllabus(Craft of Writing), but other than that there isn't anything from prelims that you'll be tested on in the HSC year to my knowledge.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Hello!
Thank you,
helloworld!
it's less the actual content from year 11 (because in terms of the topics 0% of it is examined in y12) but moreso the skills you've built up in year 11 that carry onto year 12 (eg. reading to write carries into module c, narratives that shape our world encompass an overall idea in hsc english about how context and values shape and express meaning in a text, and the skills in mod b for y11 are the same used for mod b in y12). i know some people treat year 11 english as a bludge but if you did put in your best effort in y11 to build up and improve your skills in preliminary english then hsc english should be decently easy for you. a few tips:
  • get lots of extensive feedback consistently. preferably from your teacher, because they'd be the most acquainted with your texts (especially if they're not the standard combo that most schools do) and have actual marking experience. if your teacher can't or won't mark it for you, get a tutor who can do that. don't expect to just write an essay just before your exam and memorise it - for an internal task i got 20/20 in, i wrote 5 drafts before i made the final one because every draft after another just got shredded
  • probably depends on how strong your essay-writing skills and your thinking-on-the-spot skills are but i would recommend writing a good essay, memorising it word-for-word then bringing that into the exam. adapting can seem a bit daunting and all but it's a much easier skill to refine and get good at than you think. if you're not confident / don't want to memorise a full essay word for word, at least memorise a scaffold with key quotes + techniques + ideas.
  • get exemplars - from your internal assessment tasks/trials or from the hsc (nesa workbook, ask your teacher cos it's not worth the money for the full book) that got 19+/20, state rankers' essays, etc. you can see how they expressed their ideas to formulate an argument and try to emulate that in your own essay - you can even take some ideas and analysis and mix and match it with your own view of the text. i've often found that having a decent idea can be strengthened with a phrase or two or some really good analysis from an exemplar.
  • critical readings!! even not in mod b critical readings are the best. for mod a i stole a ton of my analysis from critical readings - my teacher has said you can steal some phrases and analysis to put into your essay because no-one's gonna know and they tend to help strengthen your arguments.
  • (optional) try to read widely beyond your prescribed texts. i've found that it especially helps for module c as i've used phrases of prose and ideas of character and worldbuilding from the books i've read. module c is about how you use ideas and devices to shape meaning, and honestly i've found that just casually reading even short novels has made it so much easier to write.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hello!
Thank you,
helloworld!
@helloworld! you are so cute 😭

Last edited:

helloworld!

HSC
it's less the actual content from year 11 (because in terms of the topics 0% of it is examined in y12) but moreso the skills you've built up in year 11 that carry onto year 12 (eg. reading to write carries into module c, narratives that shape our world encompass an overall idea in hsc english about how context and values shape and express meaning in a text, and the skills in mod b for y11 are the same used for mod b in y12). i know some people treat year 11 english as a bludge but if you did put in your best effort in y11 to build up and improve your skills in preliminary english then hsc english should be decently easy for you. a few tips:
  • get lots of extensive feedback consistently. preferably from your teacher, because they'd be the most acquainted with your texts (especially if they're not the standard combo that most schools do) and have actual marking experience. if your teacher can't or won't mark it for you, get a tutor who can do that. don't expect to just write an essay just before your exam and memorise it - for an internal task i got 20/20 in, i wrote 5 drafts before i made the final one because every draft after another just got shredded
  • probably depends on how strong your essay-writing skills and your thinking-on-the-spot skills are but i would recommend writing a good essay, memorising it word-for-word then bringing that into the exam. adapting can seem a bit daunting and all but it's a much easier skill to refine and get good at than you think. if you're not confident / don't want to memorise a full essay word for word, at least memorise a scaffold with key quotes + techniques + ideas.
  • get exemplars - from your internal assessment tasks/trials or from the hsc (nesa workbook, ask your teacher cos it's not worth the money for the full book) that got 19+/20, state rankers' essays, etc. you can see how they expressed their ideas to formulate an argument and try to emulate that in your own essay - you can even take some ideas and analysis and mix and match it with your own view of the text. i've often found that having a decent idea can be strengthened with a phrase or two or some really good analysis from an exemplar.
  • critical readings!! even not in mod b critical readings are the best. for mod a i stole a ton of my analysis from critical readings - my teacher has said you can steal some phrases and analysis to put into your essay because no-one's gonna know and they tend to help strengthen your arguments.
  • (optional) try to read widely beyond your prescribed texts. i've found that it especially helps for module c as i've used phrases of prose and ideas of character and worldbuilding from the books i've read. module c is about how you use ideas and devices to shape meaning, and honestly i've found that just casually reading even short novels has made it so much easier to write.
Thank you so much for your detailed and valuable feedback!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)