Starting Uni (1 Viewer)

hscstudnet

HSC
So I will probably studying at UNSW, but my course starts on 15th of Feburary. Is it ok if I rock up a week or two weeks late? Like maybe go to UNI on 25th Feb or something like that.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
So I will probably studying at UNSW, but my course starts on 15th of Feburary. Is it ok if I rock up a week or two weeks late? Like maybe go to UNI on 25th Feb or something like that.
Yeah as long as you don't have compulsory labs or tutorials where attendance is marked.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Also you may also have labs in CS for example where you have to present your work from the previous week to get marked. This is counted in when I said compulsory labs.

hscstudnet

HSC
Oh right I see. Can you miss like 1 compulsory lab or nah? I have heard 80% attendance is required for most courses but I dont know about the compulsory lab. Also by any chance do you remember how many tutorials and compulsory labs you had in your first 2 weeks cause I am also going in CS so the subjects done would be similar

anon2017

HSC
Check your timetable. You usually don't have to attend lectures, you will be able to watch the recordings online. But you will likely have tutorials/pracs/seminars/labs/etc. and these tend to start in week 1 or 2. Usually they are compulsory and attendance is marked. A lot of subjects have an 80% attendance requirement, so if you miss one or two you will probably be okay. But just check the requirements for your course so you don't fail the semester or unit within the first two weeks of uni.

quickoats

HSC
If you don’t have to sign in or anything

can random people just rock up to courses-
A trick that works at MQ (and probably other unis): enrol in a course at the beginning of semester and you’ll get access to the Echo360 lecture recordings for the whole semester.

yes, but best if you don't go into some random philosophy major class with 20 people. the big lectures no one even knows you're not meant to be there.
Philosophy is quite huge in 1000/2000 level units since they’re quite popular for general ed/free electives. Any year 1 lecture (except for those with a practically limited cohort like med, physio) is fair game to sit in on.

Kyufruit

HSC
A trick that works at MQ (and probably other unis): enrol in a course at the beginning of semester and you’ll get access to the Echo360 lecture recordings for the whole semester.

Philosophy is quite huge in 1000/2000 level units since they’re quite popular for general ed/free electives. Any year 1 lecture (except for those with a practically limited cohort like med, physio) is fair game to sit in on.
this advice will definitely be useful in the future 👀 thank you

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh right I see. Can you miss like 1 compulsory lab or nah? I have heard 80% attendance is required for most courses but I dont know about the compulsory lab. Also by any chance do you remember how many tutorials and compulsory labs you had in your first 2 weeks cause I am also going in CS so the subjects done would be similar
If the subject course outline says 80% lab attendance then you will need that. However, this doesn't mean that you can just like skip the lab and then only 80% of those labs go to your marks. It will probably mean that you get 0 for that lab unless you have applied for special consideration but if you don't have a proper reason in terms of being sick or something then it's not likely that will be approved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)