• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Starting with Texts in Time, want to know optimal way to study for an upcoming assess (1 Viewer)

Kimiyasu

HSC
The two texts are Blade Runner and Frankenstein. The way our school does it is they play you a short clip ONCE, and allow you to take notes during it. Then, they give the 40 minutes to compose an essay which:
- Incorporates analysis of the given scene somewhere
- Answers the binding essay question (E.g. How does a comparative study of two texts show the effect of ambition...)
- Has balanced analysis of both texts
Other than doing practice runs, how do I cover myself for this task without putting it up to luck?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Starting with Texts in Time, want to know optimal way to study for an upcoming as

There are several things that you must make sure
1)view the movie at least twice to three times so that you are very familiar with it-don't skip any parts at home-consider some of the key scenes, like the opening, Roy meets Tyrell, Roy saying the speech in the rain and saving Deckard, Pris running away, that sort of thing-come up with maybe 7-8 scenes-maybe reflect on any scenes your teacher placed an emphasis on when teaching it in class-and ponder how it can relate to your key essay points-generic ones, like abrogation of paternal responsibilities, etc
2)ask the teacher to give you the practice question-don't just randomly attempt any essay question
3) if you know a student from a previous year, ask them any specific tips to prepare better
4) Very importantly, is that you are not only doing practice runs, but you are doing it under exam conditions-but get a teacher or someone to mark the essay for you-and give you feedback on your structure, etc-otherwise it is pointless without knowing what mistakes you are making-if you want, you can send a practice essay to me through PM and I can give you some comments about it:)
Hope this helps:)-just prepare well, and you will be fine-English is never luck, it is practice, feedback, practice, feedback... and maybe just a little tiny bit of luck:)

Forgotten a very important point-since this is a comparative study module-link your two text consistently throughout your essay-don't analyse them in isolation!

Kimiyasu

HSC
Re: Starting with Texts in Time, want to know optimal way to study for an upcoming as

Hi, thanks very much for such a detailed reply!
I have a question about the last very important point you shared. In terms of linking, is an 'integrated thesis response' enough connection? By that, I mean having say 2 notions and having a sorta Idea 1:Text 1, Idea 1: Text 2, Idea 2: Text 1, Idea 2: Text 2 structure? Do I have to link it in any other way?
Also (sorry, one more question), how do I hammer home the 'texts in time' aspect? Does it have to play an integral part in my thesis and how much analysis must I devote to it?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Don't need to say sorry-you learn by asking questions:)
-For your first question, I advise against such a structure, I think something like idea 1 -text 1, text 2-the two texts can be in different paragraphs-but you must make some links with text 1-i.e. contrast of context, textual form, similarity in thematic concerns-really will depend on your essay question on the day-if you are still in doubt-you are welcome to send a practice essay and I can have a look over it-which will give you direct comments on whether you are linking right and linking enough-essentially detailed linkage is demonstrating that you understand these two texts belong to the comparative study area-and because this is a comparative study-even say so in the syllabus-it is almost suicidal if you panic in the exam and just analyse two text in really good detail without links-because you are missing the whole point of having a comparative study-which is by understanding how similar thematic concerns transcends over time-you gain an even deeper understanding through analysing the two text together-i.e. the moral degradation of humanity over time-i.e. in Frankenstein-only one monster created, in Blade Runner-a whole team are created for commercial purposes as well
-you have to understand the comparative study of contexts and thematic concerns and etc-already falls under the umbrella of text in time-so you don't need to deliberately say a lot-and it already plays an integral part in your thesis-because your thesis is most likely have to include the different context of the text in some way of the other along with points, i.e. responding to the radical scientific experimentation of her era, Shelley examines the dire consequences of transgression of God through circumventing the natural process of procreation....
-however, texts in time is basically a generic opening sentence for your essay-i.e. texts serves as sociological mirrors of their time and extend it-something along those lines that shows you are aware that texts are a product of their time-but do not ever paraphrase from the syllabus-like from the top of my head, was similar concerns in different context-because thousands of people do that-and your essay will be cliché-you don't devote analysis to texts in time-because it is already through the comparative study-if you have any doubts, just send me a paragraph or introduction and I can tell you whether what you are doing is on the right track-of course, whether to take this offer is free choice:)
hope this helps:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I actually did a very similar assessment task for module B speeches, I think a very important point is that when you have the scene, right, and have time to take notes-don't take notes about the scene-because you watching the movie so many times all the different camera angles etc-should be embedded in your heads, rather, you should specifically take relevant points-and relate it to your current knowledge-this link is important-because you don't want to waste time in the exam thinking about the links, you can think quickly about elements of a scene when writing, but the link in exam condition-likely to miss it altogether...

Kimiyasu

HSC

Is a question based on environment and worldspace very likely? My teacher (who is setting the task) has been very interested in the post-individual worldspace on Blade Runner and Frankenstein's solace in nature.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

I think you have answered your own question:) I think it would be advisable to prepare for that in more detail than other concerns-but don't neglect the other concerns

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)