• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Stat 170/171 and Phil 137/comp123 (1 Viewer)

fuzzy~logic

hello,

i was wondering if ppl who are doing/done these units could please tell me which one i should do.

i got E4 in mathematics ext1 in the hsc so which stat unit is better for me, could you also give me an idea of what each is like, i've read the handbook but it doesn't say everything.

also i'm going to enrol in a commerce degree and they recommend some comp units , but i have got band 5 in IPT in the hsc so i guess comp 123 is sort of covered., but what about 114 and 115?

should i still consider doing them? do they still want you to do them?

also the division also recommends phil 137, could you please give me some idea of what this unit is like.

that's all

thanx

Majesty

HSC
N/A
If you have a choice of doing STAT170 or STAT171, why the hell would anyone do 171. Honestly just do the easiest one, unless you want or already are some statistics freak. In this case STAT170.

If COMP123 is covered, the next closest unit is COMP114.

No idea about PHIL though.

Just my 2c.

M

mushi

i got 94 for general maths in hsc..would i struggle maths wise if i do stat170?
i know u guys discussed this earlier..but i cant find the thread ;P

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mushi
If i recall correctly, i got 82 for General Maths and i didn't struggle for STAT170. Seriously they give you formulas. Like very very very basic algebra. It's just a matter of substituting the into the formalas.

M

mushi

ok thx

jsut wondering majesty, did u have to do any mathst subjects like MATH123/130 to coincide with your subjects in your degree?

Majesty

HSC
N/A
ok thx

jsut wondering majesty, did u have to do any mathst subjects like MATH123/130 to coincide with your subjects in your degree?
I was previously in the B Computing & Information Systems degree which is no longer offered for new students. In that degree we had to do MATH135, MATH136 and MATH237. Now i couldn't get direct entry into MATH135 because it required 2u Mathematics Band 6 etc. I only did 2u General Mathematics at high school. So i did MATH130 first (which also fufills the pre-requisite for MATH135) in semester one. Then MATH135 in semester 2. I wasn't pulled back on my degree because MATH130 just counted as an elective. :cool:

M

mushi

ah great..im in your postion as well :)
so is MATH130 an elective for e-biz? HOpefully i can do it so i can do some commercy subjects :)

Majesty

HSC
N/A
ah great..im in your postion as well :)
so is MATH130 an elective for e-biz? HOpefully i can do it so i can do some commercy subjects :)
Yep if it's not in your prescribed program study it's counted as an elective. Like if it isn't listed under CORE or OPTIONAL.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
if you think you will struggle you can opt to do it over a whole year. they go over the work more slowly.

i got E4 in mathematics ext1 in the hsc so which stat unit is better for me, could you also give me an idea of what each is like, i've read the handbook but it doesn't say everything.
make sure you will never need 171. if not, do 170. i was in a similar situation to you, but i have been told that 171 has many 4u students, actuarials etc. 170 has everyone else. so that includes general maths students, and students who have never done maths before. when you are aiming for the highest GPA possible, i think it will be easier to get HD / D in 170, and virtually impossible in 171

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by iambored
if you think you will struggle you can opt to do it over a whole year. they go over the work more slowly.

make sure you will never need 171. if not, do 170. i was in a similar situation to you, but i have been told that 171 has many 4u students, actuarials etc. 170 has everyone else. so that includes general maths students, and students who have never done maths before. when you are aiming for the highest GPA possible, i think it will be easier to get HD / D in 170, and virtually impossible in 171
I doubt he will struggle, like i said i got 82 in General maths and managed to get a Credit for STAT170, just missed a Distinction.

Alena

HSC
So how hard is stat 171? Is it something like if you get a distinction for stat 170, then you prob only get a pass for stat 171?

fuzzy~logic

can you take comp114 and phil137 at anytime during your course?

i'm hopefully enrolling in app fin and comm accg

so can someone see if this combination is right for first year

ACCG100
ACCG101
ACST101
COMP114 / PHIL 137 ( still deciding, advice would be nice! )
ECON110
ECON111
ECON141
STAT170

will this combination, give me enough room to make third year and fourth year elective choices?

also how many hours will i be aiming for each week with these units?

oh another thing i'm not really nuch of a computer person, just sorta read the book for ipt, cos the teacher was baaad, will i be ok in comp 114?

thanx

HSC
yeah fuzzy i was considering to do eco subjects too...
and are they the same as the commerce first year subjects???
if they are i think i should consider doing it too thankx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)