STAT170 or MATH123 (1 Viewer)

corsalui

HSC
I'm very interested in doing math at uni because i liked it at school.
however i only did general maths but in saying that i also got 99...

so just wondering from past experiences which will be the best one for me to do?

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Well, STAT170 is statistics, whereas MATH123 is the easiest-level Mathematics (i believe its introduction to calculus, so equivalent to 2unit HSC maths).

It really depends whether you want to learn calculus or not; if you do, go for MATH123. That being said, some basic calculus may be necessary for STAT170. If you enjoyed the peobability side of General Mathematics, then statistics would contain more topics along those lines.

Take a look at Statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to see what statistics is about (many people are suprised that it isn't quite as they think it is)

onur91

HSC
N/A
Do not take STAT170, it sucks. One of the worst units i've done, almost failed. General Maths will not help, I did it and got 95, so take my advice and stay the hell away from STAT170.

TpartofC

HSC
N/A
Well, STAT170 is statistics, whereas MATH123 is the easiest-level Mathematics (i believe its introduction to calculus, so equivalent to 2unit HSC maths).

It really depends whether you want to learn calculus or not; if you do, go for MATH123. That being said, some basic calculus may be necessary for STAT170. If you enjoyed the peobability side of General Mathematics, then statistics would contain more topics along those lines.

Take a look at Statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia to see what statistics is about (many people are suprised that it isn't quite as they think it is)
STAT170 IS EASSYYYYYYYYYYYY! It is all about collecting data, studying them and interpreting them.. It is definitely more interesting than MATHS...

Jennt

HSC
N/A
I did STAT170 last year. I'm an external, part-time student and had not done any maths subjects in a loooooong time. I got a solid CREDIT for STAT170.

If I can do it, you can do it with those sort of math marks at school. As others have said STAT170 is statistics so will be useful if you want to move in the direction of statistical analysis in any career path that you're thinking of.

I work in clinical research already so statistics is the major part of what happens when a trial is complete and the analysis needs to happen...

HSC
Yeah look since you got 99 I will do MATH123, But I think you have to attend what 3-4 lectures a week or something?

But look STAT170 is VERY boring and I hated it!!

Alot of assessments to do each week online, A Gnat, WASP, Group Assignments etc... I wouldnt do it.

astroe

HSC
Any other experiences with STAT170?
I was looking to do it in Session 3 (Summer School).

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Any other experiences with STAT170?
I was looking to do it in Session 3 (Summer School).
STAT170 is not difficult (this is coming from someone with no ability with maths). The unit is structured and the assessments are structured in a way so that most students should pass the unit so long as they put in some effort.

The unit is dull to anyone without an interest in statistics. Might be better to do it in Session 3 to get it over and done with quickly. Oh, and if the textbook is still the same as before, don't bother buying it - the package of notes is enough and you'll never open the textbook, (hence, the number of ads from other kids trying to sell their STAT170 textbooks which are still in "pristine" condition).

astroe

HSC
STAT170 is not difficult (this is coming from someone with no ability with maths). The unit is structured and the assessments are structured in a way so that most students should pass the unit so long as they put in some effort.

The unit is dull to anyone without an interest in statistics. Might be better to do it in Session 3 to get it over and done with quickly. Oh, and if the textbook is still the same as before, don't bother buying it - the package of notes is enough and you'll never open the textbook, (hence, the number of ads from other kids trying to sell their STAT170 textbooks which are still in "pristine" condition).

Thanks mate! I don't exactly love statistics but I'll get by I guess.
It was the only Planet unit that was of interest. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)