State rankings (1 Viewer)

nottellingu

HSC
Just out of curiosity how do people find out if they have got a state rank ?

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
GO here:

http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/ebos_stats.htm

you dont get a call at all - only if you came First in a subject in which case you atted an awards ceremony. as for other placings in a subject, you can find out via the newspaper at the time of the realease of hsc results and on the Board of Studies website.

I hope that clears things up

michael1990

HSC
nottellingu said:
Just out of curiosity how do people find out if they have got a state rank ?
i think their school would be notified and then yourself.

or the other way around. But it would be when you get your HSC results back.

nottellingu

HSC
Thanks for the link.
So how is this determined by hsc assesment mark, or both external and internals. And why does it say they cosider other related subjects if u do ext courses.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I thought we could look it up in the reports posted on Board of Studies website? Sorry, just looked at the link above. It's what I meant.

The rank is independent of your HSC assessment marks. The ranks for HSC are based on purely your performance (raw marks) in the last tests. (the official HSC exams) If I'm not wrong, there's another rank within each course in which the aligned marks (or the final scores= (internal+external)/2) determine your ranks.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
nottellingu said:
Thanks for the link.
So how is this determined by hsc assesment mark, or both external and internals. And why does it say they cosider other related subjects if u do ext courses.
Both - internal and external, the average of the two; and if that average is x.5 then they round it up to x+1 if that makes sense.

A girl at my school got 100% in the Studies of Religion external exam but she was ranked 13th in the state. This means her internal mark pulled her down a little.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
They will sometimes look at performance in similar subjects. Like if two people tie first in 3 unit maths, they look at who did better in 4 unit to determine who comes first and who comes second

notaaron

HSC
midifile said:
They will sometimes look at performance in similar subjects. Like if two people tie first in 3 unit maths, they look at who did better in 4 unit to determine who comes first and who comes second
No they don't, that doesnt even make any sense at all.

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
BOS doesnt say anything

u find out either in the newspaper (check the small print) or the BOS site.

Alternatively ur school finds out and tells u

i came 13th in the state for Maths 2u (accelerated), and i didnt realize till a week later when someone congratulated me (they had seen the paper). I borrowed the paper and found my name, 13th on the list and checked up the BOS website to confirm. I had an externall assessment of 99, internal of 97, which kinda sucked.

i think they rank u in a subject just based on that subject. If two people get a 100% in a subject like maths, they check working, and whoever's working is better, comes first. They don't bother after 1st and 2nd. when i checked the results, every1 else after me tied for 14th or sumthin similiar.

if u come first, BOS calls u and u go for some ceremony where they hand the awards over to you.

The 2unit mark doesnt count for me coz im doin 4 unit maths, but it was dissapointing to have such a low internal assessment

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nayyarv said:
BOS doesnt say anything

u find out either in the newspaper (check the small print) or the BOS site.

Alternatively ur school finds out and tells u

i came 13th in the state for Maths 2u (accelerated), and i didnt realize till a week later when someone congratulated me (they had seen the paper). I borrowed the paper and found my name, 13th on the list and checked up the BOS website to confirm. I had an externall assessment of 99, internal of 97, which kinda sucked.

i think they rank u in a subject just based on that subject. If two people get a 100% in a subject like maths, they check working, and whoever's working is better, comes first. They don't bother after 1st and 2nd. when i checked the results, every1 else after me tied for 14th or sumthin similiar.

if u come first, BOS calls u and u go for some ceremony where they hand the awards over to you.

The 2unit mark doesnt count for me coz im doin 4 unit maths, but it was dissapointing to have such a low internal assessment
I didn't know 99 could get you 13th. Anyway, congratulation!!!

I used to have 3 friends who came 1st, 5th and 6th in the state for their accelerated Mathematics courses. They told me they all got 100 (HSC) but the internal ranking system divided their ranks.

My aim this year is to live up to those guys' achievements. I want to get some state ranks too. May be I should study a bit more.

undalay

HSC
lyounamu said:

I used to have 3 friends who came 1st, 5th and 6th in the state for their accelerated Mathematics courses. They told me they all got 100 (HSC) but the internal ranking system divided their ranks.

My aim this year is to live up to those guys' achievements. I want to get some state ranks too. May be I should study a bit more.
You can get 1st with a 98, as was the case last year for phys and chem.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
undalay said:
You can get 1st with a 98, as was the case last year for phys and chem.
I was referring to Mathematics where the usual top mark is 100. I was aware from the 2007 scaling report that the top mark for those subejects were 98.

Thanks by the way. :D

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:

wouldn't his HSC mark be 98? the average of 99 and 97 :confused:

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
wouldn't his HSC mark be 98? the average of 99 and 97 :confused:
Yeah. His HSC Mathematics mark will be 98. But it is his EXTERNAL MARK (i.e. HSC mark) that determines whether he gets state-rank or not. I was just saying in my last threads that my friends got 100 as their EXTERNAL mark. In that case, it is there INTERNAL MARK that determines their state-rank.

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
Yeah. His HSC Mathematics mark will be 98. But it is his EXTERNAL MARK (i.e. HSC mark) that determines whether he gets state-rank or not. I was just saying in my last threads that my friends got 100 as their EXTERNAL mark. In that case, it is there INTERNAL MARK that determines their state-rank.
oh

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
That's right

i had a HSC mark of 98

That's why i never checked the rankings

The problem was mainly because i tied first, and the other guy didnt do very well.

this probably lowered my internal assessment

Fortunately it doesnt matter, though i wouldnt mind a higher rank:)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nayyarv said:
That's right

i had a HSC mark of 98

That's why i never checked the rankings

The problem was mainly because i tied first, and the other guy didnt do very well.

this probably lowered my internal assessment

Fortunately it doesnt matter, though i wouldnt mind a higher rank:)
Woooo, that's a shame. Then, I better make sure I come first in my course, not to disadvantage myself. :uhhuh:

nayyarv

His Holiness
HSC
U better

Though in truth, the other guy was just as good as me and i was expecting him to get a mark similar to mine.

We both lost a total of 3 marks in every 2 unit assessment we did (312/315) aggregate, so each mistake counted. We were miles ahead of 3rd and 4th who got aggregrates of about 296 and 295.

Though in reality, if i wasnt challenged, i wouldnt have bothered to try. He really brought out the best in me, and stiff competition is always useful. If the other guy didnt compete so ferociously, i would never have got a state rank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)