state rankings?? (1 Viewer)

fishfingerz

HSC
does anyone know how u r exactly ranked in the state for each subject?
eg. if u r ranked 12th in the state in biology then does it mean u came 12th in ur hsc exam or 12th overall? overall as in after ur internal (school ranking) and external are BOTH applied? would like to know cos i reckon i can get band 6 in hsc exam for bio but i stuffed up my half yearlies so my overall mark would prolly be like low to mid band 5 :(

madsam

God among men
HSC
state rankings are based on the HSC exam, however if two students from the same school get the same mark then the person with the higher internal gets ranked ahead of them

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
does anyone know how u r exactly ranked in the state for each subject?
eg. if u r ranked 12th in the state in biology then does it mean u came 12th in ur hsc exam or 12th overall? overall as in after ur internal (school ranking) and external are BOTH applied? would like to know cos i reckon i can get band 6 in hsc exam for bio but i stuffed up my half yearlies so my overall mark would prolly be like low to mid band 5 :(
Your internal mark is moderated to match your external mark.

fishfingerz

HSC
Your internal mark is moderated to match your external mark.
woah?!....n what exactly do u mean by that?...eg?

btw, thx for the info madsam. ur 100% sure rite?

also, does anyone know how far the state rankings go up to? is it like top 100 or top 50? etc...

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
state rankings are based on the HSC exam, however if two students from the same school get the same mark then the person with the higher internal gets ranked ahead of them
"Students are ranked by their HSC mark. Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place. In the case of extension courses, marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration when students are tied."

- Board of Studies NSW

So my understanding is that they rank after applying assessment marks, and if more than one student has the same rounded-off HSC Mark, they then work it out based on the average of the exam and assessment marks calculated to a decimal place.

madsam

God among men
HSC
Ah righteo then, i stand corrected, just if you tie with someone from anywhere in the state do internals get counted So 12th in the state equates to 12th highest examination mark, but not necessarily 12th for HSC mark ((Exam + Internal) /2)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
woah?!....n what exactly do u mean by that?...eg?

btw, thx for the info madsam. ur 100% sure rite?

also, does anyone know how far the state rankings go up to? is it like top 100 or top 50? etc...
Your assessment mark sent in by your school is moderated to match your external mark in a process called moderation in order to ensure that none of the school rigs their student's results. The process however is slightly complicated depending on your rank and the performance of others relative to you (if you're not ranked first). Play around with this a bit and you'll see what I mean:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/moderate.php

js992

HSC
What if person A and person B go to the same school.

Person A rank #1 for external
Person B ranks #2 for external

Internally, A is ranked #2, B is ranked #1

Does A get a state ranking one 1, or do they have to average both internal and external first.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
A gets the state ranking coz he/she got the higher HSC mark
however, if they both got the same HSC mark, they will take into account internal marks

xV1P3R

HSC
HSC Mark = Round[(Exam Mark + Assessment Mark)/2], so internal marks will always be taken into account I think.
Board of Studies said:
Students are ranked by their HSC mark. Where students have equal HSC marks, they are then ranked by the average of their examination marks and their assessment marks, each taken to one decimal place.
It seems HSC mark is different from examination mark and assessment mark, but isn't the average as you said.

So what exactly is HSC mark if not the "examination mark"? I'm confused.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
It seems HSC mark is different from examination mark and assessment mark, but isn't the average as you said.

So what exactly is HSC mark if not the "examination mark"? I'm confused.
My understanding is that the HSC mark is the average rounded, and if more than one person has the same HSC mark, they calculate the average using the two marks to a decimal place and don't round it.

(I could be wrong, maybe they're using a completely different definition of HSC Mark from the HSC Mark that appears on your record...)

mecramarathon

HSC
ppl nowadays (with the ATAR) can get 99.95 without stateranking in any of their subjects

hmm which sounds more prestigious ... go figure

fishfingerz

HSC
what's all this about internal assessment marks? no one looks at the marks do they? its ur rank that matters. n i think state rankings are based on ur hsc mark. so if u come 12th in the state, say for biology, n get a mark of 96, then u r ranked by the mark u obtained in ur external hsc exam ONLY...which is 96. ur rank is taken into consideration if a person from the same school as u also gets 96 n if they r ranked higher than u at ur school then they get the higher state rank, so 12th, n u prolly come 13th in the state.

dp624

HSC
lol state ranks require lots of skill too.... ahahaha
and state ranks are given by the overall average mark
if, say, A and B get
98/98 and 99/97, they both get a 98 overall. so then the BOS looks at decimal places...
say 97.9/97.6 and 99.4/97.4 --> B has a higher overall mark and thus gets a higher state rank

fishfingerz

HSC
lol state ranks require lots of skill too.... ahahaha
and state ranks are given by the overall average mark
if, say, A and B get
98/98 and 99/97, they both get a 98 overall. so then the BOS looks at decimal places...
say 97.9/97.6 and 99.4/97.4 --> B has a higher overall mark and thus gets a higher state rank
this is getting confusing...some say its both internal and external..others say state ranking is based on the mark u get for ur hsc exam that goes on for 2 or 3 hrs.
which one is it? it would most likely be the latter wouldn't it??...

kateemily

HSC
depends on the number of people state wide taking that course

english for example, both standard and advanced has tens of thousands, so state rankings go up to 20, well as smaller cohort subjects like extension languages/history, textiles, vet courses etc only go up to 5. so despite the fact u may come 6th for continuers in german for example, u wont find out, well as for 2U maths u will. but basically depends on how many people do each subject. board of studies publishes a list at some point, probably soonish about the number of people in your hsc grade that are doing each subject if your keen to find out how many ranks will be published as they change each year.

best of luck, and like someone else said, its totally somethnig u hope for, not something u count on. i mentioned to a good friend that id have a go to get 1st in the state, knowing it was a big call on my behalf, but i was confident in my marks and the work id put forward, never once did i count on or expect it, but i had the mindset of aiming for first isnt going to do me any damage, its only going to give me more marks for studying harder and it made me keep on going when i knew others might be working as well, and probably just as hard

shoot for the stars though, u might hit one of the billions out there, but u might not, and thats ok :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)