State Ranks (1 Viewer)

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
What about not 1st but like 5th or something (idk how far it goes), would you get told now or when hsc marks are released?

Nanoball

HSC
What about not 1st but like 5th or something (idk how far it goes), would you get told now or when hsc marks are released?
Only first in the state gets a phone call, other state rankers find out when the distinguished achiever's list comes out from what I've read. the list usually comes out a day before the ATAR I think.

quickoats

HSC
Only first in the state gets a phone call, other state rankers find out when the distinguished achiever's list comes out from what I've read. the list usually comes out a day before the ATAR I think.
It comes out on the day around midday. Total surprise!

hcarlon

HSC
some people have posted about receiving the call but i don't know if they're capping... pretty sure there is an NDA but if they really did get the call ;( RIP to all the people who thought they'd get one

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Part of it is that HSC marks are shown as rounded but ranks are based on unrounded marks. For example, you could’ve gotten 100 external mark but 99 internal mark (or vice versa). Even though that shows up as 100 as the total, it is actually 99.5 and would rank lower than someone who gets say 100 in both external and internal marks.
Yep, and you should be able to ask your teachers for the exact mark. I remember doing this back in the day because I was curious what was the difference between me and the next guy (who turned out to be on BoS).

saksham21

HSC
Yep, and you should be able to ask your teachers for the exact mark. I remember doing this back in the day because I was curious what was the difference between me and the next guy (who turned out to be on BoS).
Can you ask your teachers for your exact mark? I thought you had to purchase a raw marks report from nesa.

quickoats

HSC
Can you ask your teachers for your exact mark? I thought you had to purchase a raw marks report from nesa.
From what I saw last year, they get a results breakdown by exam question for their own teaching purposes, and they can find your marks per question through there.

From this you could find out your raw mark but your teacher may not want to provide you with this information as it might take them a while to sift through each question and get your total raw mark.

*they might get the total raw marks per student but I never saw anything that suggests that*

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I asked for the detail back in 2005... given I was in a small cohort for this subject (<20 students) and I was the only one with a state ranking, the teacher wasn't afraid to show me the results on paper (he actually had them on him at the time I bumped into him).

saksham21

HSC
if you get a hsc results check, can nesa decrease your mark if they found out that they accidentally gave you extra marks?

dumNerd

HSC
iirc I don't think so
Also I think it may be worth getting raw marks because it gives you a results check too, and I've heard shady things about the markers - they rush through marking because they are paid by paper, and might make a bunch of big errors as a result.
they get payed 7$ per paper and if they realise its not good at beginnign they disregard it

Slippy5

HSC
So are state ranks just posted on students online around midday today? Do I search for 2020 top achievers in course?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)