Stationary points? Inflexion points? Turning points? What's What? (1 Viewer)

omniscientbeing

HSC
N/A
Ok so I know this may be a pretty stupid Q but I'm confused about the difference between stationary, inflexion and turning points. I think inflexion points are where the concavity of a curve changes and that turning points refer to maximum & minimum but when it comes to stationary points I get confused about whether these are when the 1st or 2nd derivative = 0, or both? I dunno I think I'm just confused about all these points and how they relate to each other. Can anyone explain this stuff as simply as possible?

ssglain

HSC
Stationary pts occur at f'(x) = 0. However if also f"(x) = 0 at this pt, in most cases it is no longer a turning pt but instead a horizontal pt of inflexion.

You do need to take care to determine the concavity on either side of a pt for which f"(x) = 0 because for example y = x^4 will have both 1st and 2nd derivative equal to 0 at (0,0) but this is a minimum turning pt not a horizontal pt of inflexion.

I hope that answers your query.

kony

HSC
for hsc maths,

f'(x) = 0 : this means either turning point, or horizontal inflexion point
f''(x) = 0 : this means inflexion (horizontal or oblique)

but as ssglain pointed out, in real life f''(x) = 0 has many cases where it is actually a turning point. (i think it might be because its a vertical inflexion, but that's just a guess)

however as already said, in the hsc, the f''(x) = 0 means inflexion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)