Statistics Marathon & Questions (1 Viewer)

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
http://i.imgur.com/tYDWeYf.png

Where am I going wrong here? The answers show my answer but with only a square root (not a 4-root), and no 'x' at the end.
Just a tip for log-likelihood stuff: after taking the log of the likelihood, continue to simplify the result using log laws such that fractions are eliminated. It'll make differentiation much easier.

Flop21

HSC
Is there a TLDR or summary of stats that could help with a person SO SCREWED for the exam???

Notes for MATH2801, anywhere?

kawaiipotato

HSC
Is there a TLDR or summary of stats that could help with a person SO SCREWED for the exam???

Notes for MATH2801, anywhere?
Try asking on the Facebook MathSOC page or the Higher Year Mathematics group.

Flop21

HSC
With hypothesis testing...

How do I evaluate things like P(Z>4.38). ??

kawaiipotato

HSC
Yeah but what is it, it was like 0.0001 or something, like how do I evaluate these things? What is Z?
Z is a random variable following the standard normal distribution and we denote it by writing

which means it has probability distribution function

When you want something like P(Z>4.38), it's the area under the density (f_Z) curve for x>= 4.38.
You wouldn't be able to evaluate it by hand (since there isn't an elementary function for the integral of that function), so we'd use a standard normal table.
I'm not sure if MATH2801 still uses tables, but for MATH2901, we don't anymore so (in the test) we'd just be given the outputs (so the actual data and what, for example, P(Z>4.38) would equal to.), so if you guys don't get tables anymore, then it's fine.

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC
Z is a random variable following the standard normal distribution and we denote it by writing

which means it has probability distribution function

When you want something like P(Z>4.38), it's the area under the density (f_Z) curve for x>= 4.38.
You wouldn't be able to evaluate it by hand (since there isn't an elementary function for the integral of that function), so we'd use a standard normal table.
I'm not sure if MATH2801 still uses tables, but for MATH2901, we don't anymore so (in the test) we'd just be given the outputs (so the actual data and what, for example, P(Z>4.38) would equal to.), so if you guys don't get tables anymore, then it's fine.
Thank you!! I literally had no idea what it was.

Yeah we don't use tables anymore either, so will it literally tell us P(Z>4.38) = something or whatever?

kawaiipotato

HSC
Thank you!! I literally had no idea what it was.

Yeah we don't use tables anymore either, so will it literally tell us P(Z>4.38) = something or whatever?
If you guys use R I think it's likely that they'd use the functions
pnorm(a,mu,sigma) = some value, and this equals to P(X<a) for a r.v. with distribution N(mu,sigma^2)

So for that they would've given:
1 - pnorm(4.38,0,1) = some value

which of course equals P(Z>4.38) (since Z is usually defined to be standard normal)

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

What is this thing highlighted. I see it a lot, does it have a name?

(Sorry for the silly question, I just am going through so much content in a few days).

Flop21

HSC
How do I do these? Someone point me in the right direction or go through one example for me? Thanks

kawaiipotato

HSC
Actually your part (ii) follows N(0,1) and in part (iii) it asks for the square of that. So your answer in part (iii) will also be a chi-squared random variable with parameter 1.

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
How do I do these? Someone point me in the right direction or go through one example for me? Thanks

It's important that you do these in order because it acts as a guide. You'll use part (j) to do part (j+1).

Flop21

HSC
If X is a binomial variable, and Y = 2X, the pdf of Y, would that just be the pdf of X, but every x = 2x????

There was also a question similar saying find the MGF of Y, and I found that to by solving E(e^(u2X)).

leehuan

HSC
If X is a binomial variable, and Y = 2X, the pdf of Y, would that just be the pdf of X, but every x = 2x????

There was also a question similar saying find the MGF of Y, and I found that to by solving E(e^(u2X)).
The binomial random variable is discrete, so you'd have a pmf as opposed to a pdf.

Also, yes, if you had to find the MGF of Y := 2X, you would consider E[e^(u(2X))]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)