• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Staying on campus (1 Viewer)

scott_hendo

Alternative Conservative
Peeing on an electric fence...mmm...tingly
HSC
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone could field this one. I was curious as to the expenses involved in living on campus. What is the weekly going rate (I know this depends on the college) for a self catered room as opposed to a fully catered? Pros? Cons?

Also, generally, what are the set up costs. I know there is a general service fee involved, but how much? Are there any other expenses incurred when you first set up? In terms of an internet connection, can you chose your own ISP if you live on campus?

If there is anything else you wish to add, don't hesitate. Thanks.
:)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
well albies is about $235 a week i think (that's fully catered), i'm not sure for self catered but you have to live fully catered for at least a semester
other than albies, wright village is the only other place which is self catered - all other colleges are catered
general service fee for semester 1 this year was $185 (that's uni though, not sure if u meant that or not... that's like your union fees etc. nothing to do with college)
other costs for albies are like room deposit, key deposit, academic gown deposit (you get all of that back at the end of the year)... there are some others like building fee ($200 i think) and the internet connection is $100 a year - don't think u can choose your own ISP, it's just the uni one, but it's pretty fast
other things u need to keep in mind are your going out costs (especially o-week), any food that u want to buy yourself (most ppl have fridges in their rooms and a supply of chips/biscuits, alcohol etc.)

apparently if u get youth allowance (which u should be able to get next may if u finished school last yr and earn about $17000 this year) you will pretty much be able to cover college costs (cos u get YA in the holidays too).. and albies is pretty good with paying fees, like u can pay weekly or monthly or by the term etc.. plus don't forget scholarships which can also be a big help with college fees

hope that helped a little - if u want any more info on fees or anything (keep in mind u haven't asked about costs of actual uni yet) just let me kno!

scott_hendo

Alternative Conservative
Peeing on an electric fence...mmm...tingly
HSC
ballerinabarbie said:
well albies is about $235 a week i think (that's fully catered), i'm not sure for self catered but you have to live fully catered for at least a semester
other than albies, wright village is the only other place which is self catered - all other colleges are catered
general service fee for semester 1 this year was $185 (that's uni though, not sure if u meant that or not... that's like your union fees etc. nothing to do with college)
other costs for albies are like room deposit, key deposit, academic gown deposit (you get all of that back at the end of the year)... there are some others like building fee ($200 i think) and the internet connection is $100 a year - don't think u can choose your own ISP, it's just the uni one, but it's pretty fast
other things u need to keep in mind are your going out costs (especially o-week), any food that u want to buy yourself (most ppl have fridges in their rooms and a supply of chips/biscuits, alcohol etc.)

apparently if u get youth allowance (which u should be able to get next may if u finished school last yr and earn about $17000 this year) you will pretty much be able to cover college costs (cos u get YA in the holidays too).. and albies is pretty good with paying fees, like u can pay weekly or monthly or by the term etc.. plus don't forget scholarships which can also be a big help with college fees

hope that helped a little - if u want any more info on fees or anything (keep in mind u haven't asked about costs of actual uni yet) just let me kno!
Okay! Thanks a bunch. That helped. Now...you mentioned 'costs of actual uni'. What does that involve? I suppose text books and stuff eh? Anything else?

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
yeah textbooks - although if u live at college there is usually someone u can get textbooks off - i got 2 chemistry books for $50 that were only a year old - and they were prob worth about $200
most of the subjects i do (and i think most subjects in general) require you to buy a set of lecture notes or readings or something similar - usually cost around $15-$20 (sometimes less)
obviously there are your HECS costs but you can defer them and pay when u get a job after uni
and as i said before there is your general service fee each semester
if u want to join any clubs/societies they usually cost $5-$15 a year to join
that's about all i can think of at the moment but i'll edit if i think of any more

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
austin is about the same...i think we pay about $225 a week fully catered but all the other costs except room and key deposits are the same as albies...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)