Steps to success in commerce (1 Viewer)

omni16

HSC
For those who do well in commerce, besides obviously studying, what are the key steps are to succeeding in a commerce degree? How difficult it is to obtain and maintain a HD average in comm compared to (say) math? How time consuming is studying for commerce?

williamdaft

HSC
I want to know as well.

Probably, credit-distinction average, job, internship, work experience, involved in uni life, multiple interests and a nice personality :)

mmm, what else do we need to do to succeed? and I want to know how much time we need to dedicate for just the uni studies? I don't think it's too much.

Last edited:

Jinks

HSC
I'll try to answer the "time" aspect of a commerce degree. From my experience so far commerce degrees have a lot less contact hours than say a science or engineering degree. However that isn't to say they are less time consuming. I know people who have studied subjects from all kinds of disciplines and they say commerce tends to have a fair bit of recommended reading. As with everything at uni you're going to get out what you put in. Therefore I would suggest doing all recommended readings and tutorial questions required of you, as long as any additional questions etc provided by the lecturer, personally I find I probably double the "contact" hours for the subject by the time i've completed everything. Doing all this and of course understanding it will set you up well come exam time.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Commerce is a popular degree, but they can only hand out so many HDs. So you have to make sure you know your stuff very well, and make very little mistakes in assessments.

It's just like school - study until you feel you understand the content.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
I'm excited to start. I'm hoping doing practical accounting work will actually help in me in the exams. I'm a tad nervous :p

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm excited to start. I'm hoping doing practical accounting work will actually help in me in the exams. I'm a tad nervous :p
Alternatively, you could become a Treasurer for a club or society at the university and actually apply the work to something that matters!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Will I have time to join a society while working full-time?
Ooh... well, you'll have time to join, but whether you'll have time to do all the accountancy work really depends on how active the society is. Should be able to fit some time in, might be hard pressed to do so however - depends on how your time management skills are as well.

enoilgam

HSC
For those who do well in commerce, besides obviously studying, what are the key steps are to succeeding in a commerce degree? How difficult it is to obtain and maintain a HD average in comm compared to (say) math? How time consuming is studying for commerce?
Difficulty is subjective as it depends largely on the person and the major. If you are doing something like HR, Management or Marketing, then a HD average can be difficult to achieve simply by design. Many of those courses involve essays and other assignments, where lecturers will often refuse to give marks higher than the cutoff for a HD (so, 85 might be the most they give). This makes it extremely difficult to achieve a HD average in those subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)