Stereotypes? (1 Viewer)

Sashmish

Hey, I live in a regional area and am set on going to Usyd next year, but my parents really want me to stay in a college, preferably the Women's one.

I hear college people get stereotyped a lot and are seen as snobs, spoiled, etc.

Is this true?

I mean, I don't want to get there and hate it because the people *are* like that, or get judged straight away because of where I stay.

Any insights would be appreciated!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
well i cant answer for usyd, but a few of my friends live on campus at newcastle, and i cant say i ever thought they were spoilt or anything, its just their digs during semester.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
dude wtf
if you don't live a train away then colleges are you best option
and who gives a fuck what some random shallow idiot thinks of you??

(it's the kids who drive/are driven to uni you gotta watch out for :D)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by Sashmish
I hear college people get stereotyped a lot and are seen as snobs, spoiled, etc.

Is this true?
No. :)

You'll get stereotyped a lot, but in a fun way - more along the lines of 'turning up to class in pyjamas', 'partying instead of working', etc. People can be surprisingly tolerant once you reach uni.

Adam

HSC
Dude, you will be popular. People will crash the night at yours after a big one. If someone calls you snob for living at uni then they're not much of a friend now are they?

I'm not living at uni btw.

Sashmish

Thanks guys :)

I was worried based on what one of my cousins told me, but then, she is a bit of a dramatic person. I've calmed down now.

I hadn't thought of the whole pyjamas and ugh boots thing. That could be fun!

Oh, btw, what's so scary about the people who drive to uni? Or do I not want to know? :rolleyes:

Adam

HSC
How about the traffic they would have to put up with and the stupidly high parking costs at uni? Now thats scary.

I'll take my 16.50 a week travel to and from uni on a sleepable-mobile thankyou.

cayte

Because the annual fees are quite high and they tend to be populated by NSW's secondary equivalent of ivy leaguers, the colleges do get a bit of a bad rep. The college 'freshers' (as they are wont to call them) tend also to be the ones who arrive late, leave early or talk through your lectures too. Personally I find a bit of immaturity and/or arrogance from the college people. But of course these are generalisations and generalisations are wrong. Many people get a lot out of living in a college. Be aware though that, as much as it may be denied, you will most likely either become a frat boy/sorority girl or be miserable. Take a look at Sydney University Village as an alternative - I understand it's a little cheaper and a little more independent than the regular colleges.

Last edited:

cayte

BTW, on reading back on that it sounds like I don't like college peeps, which isn't the case. Most of my friends made whilst at uni are collegers and many of my friends from before live in colleges too. It's just not my thing.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
a girl in my mythology class lives in a college and she came to our tutorial today wearing ugg boots and she is full cute. she reminds me of that girl Audrey from Dawson's Creek and she is nice and yay yay for colleges etc. who cares, really. so long as you have a place to live!

cayte

I guess if you have a tendency to get peopled out and like your own space or a bit of down time every now and then it's going to get a bit much pretty quickly. That's all.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
yeah it might actually be the easiest and most effective way to meet people / make friends, which is obviously the most important thing at uni. :D

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by gloria*
yeah it might actually be the easiest and most effective way to meet people / make friends, which is obviously the most important thing at uni. :D
Yeah, I mean who goes there for the degree?

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
some college people are cool! some of my closest friends in sydney are college people, and if they are snobs then they hide it well.

SUV people are also very cool! SUV is very different to college - well, its kinda a hybrid of living at college (coz the whole support network is there, and SUV clubs and parties and stuff) and living off campus (your apartment really becomes your home, and you make your own house rules with your flatmates and have fights and arguements and its cool!). I reckon SUV is better preperation for the real world in that way, plus you cook for yourself, etc etc so you learn life skills.

But yeah, the women's college is cool... its always fun being smuggled in there past security...

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
But the question is, do you want to 'prepare for the real world' or have the best year/s of your life?
eh, suit yourself
i'm finding the whole house thing to be much preferable to college, so far

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
actually, yeah. good point

the 3 people i live with, i met at college. it was a pretty good intro to living away from home, actually.

well, there goes my 5-AM, 4-cups-of-coffee logic... oh well.

cayte

Melbournian, until you have lived in a share house or at suv you can't say with any certainty what they would actually be like - all you can say is that college suits you. Perhaps you have issues of co-dependancy. Or maybe you're a mummy's boy who needs a little coddling. (Cool it man, it was a joke).
Really, though, suv provides a balance between the independance of a sharehouse and the community of a college - you can adjust your lifestyle to whichever you would prefer, so it is an ideal way for a first-year-away-from-homer to experience uni life without feeling lost or getting sucked into the insular world of college life.

cayte

melbournian, you haven't been to the right parties there. Ever done a power hour? Ever done one that lasted for three hours?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by cayte
melbournian, you haven't been to the right parties there. Ever done a power hour? Ever done one that lasted for three hours?
Do you think he cares? I mean he thinks I'M a dickhead, should we really be listening to his opinions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)