Stereotypes? (1 Viewer)

cayte

Lol, alright, I wasn't aware of that. I guess arguing with a college-type is pretty futile, they are a different breed...

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
melbournian: VD!VD!VD!VD!VD!VD!VD!VD!VD! VD! VD! VD! VD!!!!!!!!! yeah VD!!!! enjoy yourself. and pull your phone out of the wall before you go to bed. the cleanup gets done.

(seriously though, i think someone ought to pull that lot aside and remind them it more commonly stands for "venerial disiease")

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
oh god, don't even talk about SUV power hours! the last one of those i witnessed, was the one where about 6 bloody cops came... and one of the RA's was evicted :D wild night that!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
college ppl kind of get that snob reputation because while everyone else is struggling on their own, college ppl have their own little clique, like in lectures and stuff. Individually they are mostly nice people, but as a group in the first few weeks of semester they do come across as formidable and snobby. And if they take offense to that, maybe they should look at it through the eyes of a poor little nigel first year just trying to make friends.
the snob reputation is kind of enhanced by the fact that many have never heard of places like hornsby or Liverpool. Its just an insular sort of life that excludes most of the general uni population, thats why college ppl have that reputation.

cayte

I think you answered your own question there. It has to do with a complete lack of interest in and often disregard for anything outside your own little world. It is a blinkered existence (wanted to use the word insular, but since it's already appeared three times in this thread...).

Originally posted by snakeoils
oh god, don't even talk about SUV power hours! the last one of those i witnessed, was the one where about 6 bloody cops came... and one of the RA's was evicted :D wild night that!
Who are you snakeoils? I know all those people, crazy bastards.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by cayte
I think you answered your own question there. It has to do with a complete lack of interest in and often disregard for anything outside your own little world. It is a blinkered existence (wanted to use the word insular, but since it's already appeared three times in this thread...).
although it's an awful stereotype, i tend to agree. that was one of the big reasons i left college -- everything's new and different at first, which is cool, but pretty soon it's the same crowd on the same nights, at the same venues, with the same (terrible) music.

cayte

Like I said a while ago, if that's what you want then that's fine. I prefer my independence. I see a lot of people from colleges unable to function as normal people without their people from college around. You end up seeing the same people every day. Oh, and being the "3rd biggest fresher alco" is not exactly something to be proud of. But you're just a college kid, I wouldn't expect you to think otherwise. ;)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
bear in mind that if you go to college you will practically be forced to drink large amounts of alcohol, or be excluded. You might be into that, but i really wouldnt enjoy it.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
the womens girls can be quite rowdy at times :D and 5am fire drills are chaos... you just watch all these girls rush out of their rooms, some followed by sheepish looking guys... the womens college toga party was fascinating as well... but yeah, id say go womens if ur looking to study, coz its good for stuff like that...but remember: (apparently) 30% of womens college gals end up marrying a St Pauls bloke ;)

Originally posted by cayte

Who are you snakeoils? I know all those people, crazy bastards.
im from apartment 5301... we overlook the giant balcony...wish my balcony was that big!

Sashmish

No way!
That is so strange ...what's so good about Paul's guys?:confused:

Yeah, I've looked at the Women's website, and it actually seems really nice, so if I have to pick a college, it'll probably be that one.

What's with the thing about the fire drills, though?

Sashmish

Oh my goodness.

That is the most serious post I have ever seen you write.
Are you feeling alright?

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
pick up the newest issue of honey soy (honi soit)!!!

(there's an interesting (and quite well-written) article about colleges in there)

lengstar

HSC
i don't mind college people at all. just some of the i don't see around because they rock up to lectures when they've finished and by then i'm long gone.
i was up to date with whatever happened at uni now i'm...busy. anyone go see theatresports? its funny as, i love manning, its mad.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
ahahaha

theatresports!
a friend of mine does that, i keep meaning to go and check it out, and watch him make a complete fool out of himself infront of a crowd of random uni people!

Aj10001

Yeah..that would be great
HSC
Could some people who are at a sydney college give us a rundown of the advantages/disadvantages of being at college?

Also, could some people give some advice as to which co-ed and male colleges are suited to what types of guys? Much appreciated

Sashmish

Do the colleges have some sort of initiation thing for freshers?

I've heard they do, and that some of them can get pretty out of hand.

Can anyone give a list/summary or something?

Sashmish

okay, okay....

but can you tell me if *all* the colleges do the same thing, or do some not do anything at all?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)