stimulus booklet analysis questions (1 Viewer)

laur*

HSC
hi there we have been given a list of 14 questions which we ahve to answer in relation to each of the 6 texts within the stimulus booklet any help would be greatly appreciated. The questions are....
1. What type/s of journey/s does the text discuss?
2. What themes or ideas does the text froeground?
3. What is the context of the text? How Do you know?
4. What is the purpose of the text and who is the target audience of the text?
5. What techniques have been used to shape meaning in the text? (Structural, language and visual techniques-what do the images suggest? what do the words suggest?)
6. Examples of these?
7. effect of these on the text as a whole? on the audience?
8. How are the characters/people constructed in the text? Why has the composer represented the characters in a particualr way?
9. Are there 'gaps' and 'silences' in the text?
10. Whose views are excluded or privileged in the text? How is the responder positioned in relation to the composer of the text?
11. What view of the world is the text representing? What kind of social realities does the text portray?
12. What kind of view of the world and values does the composer of the text have? what view of the world does the composer of the text assume that the responder holds? how do you know?
13. what different interpretations of the text are possible?
14. in what ways does the text link to the journey concept?

thanks heaps if u answer even one of these questions in relation to one text

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hi laur, i'll give you a brief outline for each question in relation to "The Wind in the Willows", text 3 i think from the stimulkus booklet. By the way, these are from the top of my head.
1. Can be used for physical and imaginative, possibly inner but there are better texts in the book for this.
2. The idea of planning for a journey.
3. Um... hard to decide but i think it's around 19th-20th century?
4. To narrate, entertain mainly children
5. Don't have time for examples sorry. Anthromorphism (check the spelling of this i think it's wrong) where the animals are given human characteristics, listing of all the items which is basically imagery.
6. Sorry :)
7. Creates an engaging story for the audience?
8. Toad is rich and arrogant, tries to persuade Rat to join him on the jouney.
9. No.
10. Toad's view is mostly emphasised since he is trying to persuade Rat to join him. Therefore Rat's view is limited but we can read enough to know that he obviously doesn't want to undertake the journey.
11. Animal world? Not much info on this sorry.
12. Well the text was first released in Britain, so the values and morals may have been taken into account in the text.
13. You can read text for light entertainment or analyse like you're doing in english and look for the theme etc.
14. This is an important question. The text teaches us that we should undertake journeys to get out of our comfort zone and try something new, as we read in the text that Rat is sought of lazy and wants to keep to his habits of staying around home while Toad wants to explore the wide world. They have very contrasting views on life.
Once again, i'm sorry i couldn't go into any significant detail as i don't have time.

laur*

HSC
thanks heaps thats really helpful i appreciate it

laur*

HSC
cans anyone else help me out with this im really struggling heaps i'd really love it cheers

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I can help you with text 7, The Town Where Time Stands Still (this is a hard text), but right now my english tutor is coming soon, don't have time to post, later tonight i will though. Sorry for the wait. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Sorry i didn't post as i promised last night. I'll answer the questions in relation to text 7 "The Town Where Time Stands Still" (Shirley Geok-lin Lim)
1. It is mostly comparing physical to inner, saying that the physical journey needs to include an inner journey,.
2. The main theme is that the traveller should be moved rather than to move, implying that the inner journey is more significant than the physical aspect.
3. This is hard to work out, although the text says "travellers through the centuries", suggesting that the text is referring to a long range of time probably the last thousand years or more (we know the text is actually written in '99 from the acknowledgements).
4. The purpose is to manipulate the reader's point of view, the target audience would be a general or possibly educated audience since some of the words are elevated and would appeal to this audience.
5. Important words to examine at "genii loci" and "baser motives". "Unconscious compulsion" is syllabic alliteration, use of third person, descriptive sentences to create meaning.
6. Look over the text for the techniques.
7. It evokes thought from the audience.
8. Not applicable to this text.
9. None.
10. Our view is excluded, the composer has only put forward her view of journey.
11. A spiritual and meaningful view is portrayed by the text.
12. The composer believes that the spiritual journey is more important than the physical side of it. We know because she makes it clear, "humans hope to be moved rather than to move".
13. The search for the genii loci can be interpreted in different ways. It basically means a spiritual location, deep meaning.
14. Basically the text is saying that a physical journey will nearly always include an inner journey, and that the physical and inner journey are interelated, they affect each other. Also the inner journey is more important than the physical.
I hope that helps. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)