Stimulus Package (1 Viewer)

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
Many are criticising the short terminism of stimulus packages provided to date. Particularly, as it is likely further stimulation is going to be included in the May budget.

If we were to have the opportunity again, in the spirit of the DIY budget, what type of stimulus package would you provide? Would you keep the status quo, or provide an alternative?

Personally, I would have preferred a package centered on real and extensive infrastructure improvements (focused on transport, water etc). For instance, a modified metro rail system in Sydney would have been an ideal project. If that is deemed unrealistic, how about the provision of money for an expansion of the light rail system?

Yes money has been allocated to infrastructure projects, but of a level which falls far short of that required in the economic climate.

Where is the foresight? Where are the projects like the Snowy River Scheme? Why is government so hesitant to commit to any major ideas? We need long term projects that will sustain employment and stimulation over the medium to long term.

Instead of the bonuses, $52 Billion worth, the government would have been far better off bringing the proposed tax cuts forward to instigate structural change to the economy.

I fear these bonuses will have yielded a benefit much smaller than other available options.

What say you?

(apologies if there is another similar thread)

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I'd invest in a trillion dollar elevator to the moon

And some sort of rail gun so we could sell it to the Israelis.

Lentern

HSC
I agree letting ordinary people decide what to spend government money on was a bad idea. Might as well be giving brandy to an alcoholic. Government should be using this to enhance it's control not relinquish some of it.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
In other news, KFC's new $900 bucket is to coincide with stimulus payments

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
The prostitution industry will definitely stimulate a package.

A male package.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
nah that sounded like a joke rove would make

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
It was bribing people. Why do you think everybody's so happy with Ruddkip.

"HEY MATE FREE MONEY MATE"
mate... did some1 say free money... because im there mate.

mate im there

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
free money amte??? did i just hear what i think i heard??? what i gotta do... not work for it mate... dont like workin aye mate. works for coons n asians

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
$52 billion could have provided comprehensive tax cuts. Which equals greater discretionary income. And it doesn't particularly matter where they spend it. It doesn't help when Wayne Swan may as well have been a Keynsian disciple.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
$52 billion could have provided comprehensive tax cuts. Which equals greater discretionary income. And it doesn't particularly matter where they spend it. It doesn't help when Wayne Swan may as well have been a Keynsian disciple.
$52 billion could have provided comprehensive weed plantations. Which equals greater highness factors. And it doesn't particularly matter where they grow it. It doesn't help when Wayne Swan may as well have been a Harry J. Anslinger disciple.

Lentern

HSC
Tax cuts would have been unsustainable long term, they would have eventually had to be raised in order to keep witht he kind of expenot tditure ordinary Aussies expect from the government. I suspect the negative fallout from raising taxes is far greater than the positive response to lowering them. Therefore it was more politically viable to hand out money. Not that I supported the idea, I would have commisioned another harbour bridge like project with the money. Like Turnbull says, these stimulus packages need to be about three important things: jobs, jobs and jobs.

aussie-boy

HSC
well i thought it was a bad idea from the start

with that $52 billion, we could have had the FTTN network fully funded; or alternatively, a 350km/h train linking melbourne, canberra, sydney and brisbane

wat a waste of money

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)