Stock recommendations (1 Viewer)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Understanding a bit of human psychology often helps in volatile situations. E.g. the moment the Greek PM decided to put the bailout to a referendum (don't know what he was thinking) stocks were sold like hotcakes (i.e. humans panicking like its the end of the world). But if you bought against that panic (knowing that world leaders would place enormous pressure on the Greek PM to back off from his decision) you probably would have profited quite nicely. This is known as a contrarian strategy i.e. don't just follow the crowd and take advantage of mass irrational panic attacks

Last edited:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I'm currently invested in NML, bought in at 40c originally, it peaked earlier than expected so I sold off at 50c. Bought back in at 40c, took a huge hit when the announcement I was waiting on came out. Currently just sitting and waiting to see how it performs.

Watching API keeps going between 20c-25c.

Also looking at going long on the US dollar in the near future.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
lol yeah

its been such a bad year i figured the only way to cover my losses was to use leverage

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
You made any plan before you started investing? You should have stop-loss and sold your shares or wait it out if investing long term.

Also, for anyone interested in investing/trading there is a ASX share simulator.

http://www.stockwatch.com.au/

Last edited:

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
yeah lol i have strategies but find it extremely hard to stick to them

what happens is:

- down 10%
- fuck the stop loss, it'll bounce up, ill use some leverage
- clean break on all time low/support
- rage

that has happened 3 times this year, though last time i recovered a reasonable portion of my losses 67c -> 89c

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
iunno the fact its online makes my decision making more irrational

like im more annoyed at getting a parking ticket than losing 5k

the current dilemma:
- take part in equity raising & not use leverage and try to take a long term position
- sell everything and buy options

Last edited:

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
You trading or investing? Regardless of which one, you really need to keep your emotion in check. Using leverage is like playing with fire, unless 1) using other peoples money 2) professional

Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom by Van K. Tharp, i suggest you read that. You should be able download a copy for free.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
yeah i agree with leverage, ive had to sell other holdings to pay for my leveraged losses this whole year and now i have all my eggs in one basket.

judging by the title i dont think trading can lead to financial freedom, imo the only way to do that is to pick a small cap with potential and hope it explodes

Ritz1024

HSC
N/A
^hahah, dont judge the book by its cover, in case its name. Trust me worth the read. Check out amazon review on that book. I'm 100% investing as to trading but it sure teached me alot.

Chaapman

HSC
I have TLS and WOW

I am only holding TLS because of the dividend yeild and WOW because it's through salary sacrifice.

allyoop

HSC
Uni Grad
At the moment I'm into:

Origin Energy
Bank of Queensland
JB Hi-Fi
Channel Ten

Holding for a minimum of 3 years, ideally for 10 years and am buying $500-$2000 worth more every 6 months. Also if the company has a dividend reinvestment plan, I go for that straightaway.

Currently got my eye on Westpac and NIB Insurance. I have an excel sheet that I posted all the shares I have and am interested in, including those I'm not but are from the same industry. I showed in columns the share price, dividend yield, earnings yield, beta, industry beta, price to earnings ratio.

Every so often I update the spreadsheet and date it. Most days I make losses but I don't particularly care since my shares aren't that risky and I'm holding for the long term :)

allyoop

HSC
Uni Grad
Mmm I personally think that beta is important. But that's just IMO.

And I normally compare dividend yields of all the shares in the same industry and their prices. That is, one companies shares may be cheaper and give a higher dividend. Most of the time there are imperfections like that.

Garygaz

HSC
JB hifi is a risky hold for 10 years. they are going to have significant issues arising with reducing sales of physical CDs in music and gaming. also as i'm sure you're aware, televisions are a lot cheaper now and the increased competition from knock off brands and online stores like kogan and ebay have reduced the margins significantly. also, kogan, which is owned by that russian tech-head has a $1 million bet with the MD of JB that JB won't stock a single apple product by the end of 2013. if apple pulls all third party selling in favour of online/apple stores this will also hurt JB. they also just have just made a cap. investment into their online music subscription service and are against tough competition.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm buying more gold now it has dropped a bit. Yeah I'm the guy from the gold thread that said it will reach 5000.
Nice. I've been looking into buying gold, since my parents also do it, and seems like a safe investment. Do you buy ABC?

gurmies

Drover
HSC
JB HiFi is an awful investment at this time. I would punt on something like Lynas (which just got a temporary operating license for processing in Malaysia).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)