Story Idea Supply Low!! (1 Viewer)

bujolover

HSC
Hi guys,
I have a 1000 word creative (+ 300 word reflection - aah!!) due in 2 days. I think there is no specific unit relating to it. I literally have no established story idea (unless I plagiarise a plotline :/ ), which means I haven't started, so I'm screwed unless anyone has any ideas at all that can help me. We're supposed to use one of the images they have provided as a key location in the story, but I'm not going to bother attaching them - it doesn't matter, I just need an original plotline, and I'll merge it into a stimulus. It is a formal assessment, BTW, just so you know.

Please assist in this worthy cause! :p :D

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
Hey!

I know how you feel. I hate creative writing and am hopeless when it comes to storylines BUT our teacher explained to us that in a short word length - which I'd consider 1000 words to be, it's less about storyline and plot and INSTEAD it's more about the emotions, 5 senses and the change in a character. So what is best is to take a 15 minute moment (some short time period) and just elaborate on the change a character faces from that. Also, if an idea seems cliche, you can change the point of view used. So say there's a story about a single mum with her son, you can create the story in the perspective of some random person that overhears her conversation on the phone to a child-care centre or to her landlord (or something). Point is, you change the perspective and can re-use practically any 'storyline' - just show some sort of "change" in the perspective of the character you are writing for.

Not sure if this helps, but all the best :)

bujolover

HSC
Hey!

I know how you feel. I hate creative writing and am hopeless when it comes to storylines BUT our teacher explained to us that in a short word length - which I'd consider 1000 words to be, it's less about storyline and plot and INSTEAD it's more about the emotions, 5 senses and the change in a character. So what is best is to take a 15 minute moment (some short time period) and just elaborate on the change a character faces from that. Also, if an idea seems cliche, you can change the point of view used. So say there's a story about a single mum with her son, you can create the story in the perspective of some random person that overhears her conversation on the phone to a child-care centre or to her landlord (or something). Point is, you change the perspective and can re-use practically any 'storyline' - just show some sort of "change" in the perspective of the character you are writing for.

Not sure if this helps, but all the best :)
OMG, thank you sooooooooooo much, bosuser1!!!!! I was literally waiting for someone to reply, as I'm desperate. I think this is great advice... :) Actually, why didn't I think of that? Just write a cliché thing well. *face palm*

P.S. Sorry if I sound high. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)