stress in exams (1 Viewer)

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
i found with my exams last year that the ones i worked my ass off for, were more stressful at exam time. I had memorised so many things, that i just wanted to get in there and write them down right away!!
Anyway, to overcome this stressful situation, just take a few deep breaths, and start writing carefully and slowly, then as i remembered more, i picked up the pace, and my essays were emmaculate!!

With the exams i wasn't so sure about, i was shitting myself as well, but at a different scale, this is where i answered the questions i positively knew (e.g. in maths) and then attempted the harder ones - time management is a big factor in this type of situation.

Hope i helped a little

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Hmmmm just wondering if anyone does this, after you finish an exam, that you have been writing and thinking about in for a bloody long time, when you finish and your sitting there as they are taking them up do you start to shake or is just me???

picaresque

HSC
Nothing beats confidence. ;)

But I've heard of strange methods utilising visualisation and vocalising positive reinforcement, breathing techniques to get oxygen into your lungs (that just makes me yawn) etc.
Actually, if you're obsessive/compulsive (like so many of my friends) arranging your pencils/pens in a certain order can help to absorb your attention elsewhere. But um...try to not let anyone see - they might think you're anal. :D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I had my first major freak out this year in one of my trials. I knew that I wasn't prepared enough and a first ranking was on the line so it stressed me out more. I got into the exam room, read the exam and absolutley freaked out at the essays I knew I wasn't prepared for. I did the beginning short answer questions first, and as the time passes your head clears and you think of things to put into the essay. I was shaking like crazy when the teacher said 'start' and I seriously didn't think Id be able to do the exam in the state I was in. However, I got there eventually, but accepted the fact that I was going to lose my first ranking and moved on. I was jujst angry and upset with myself that I was going to be letting down my teacher whom I knew had high hopes for me (he asked me how I went after the exam and I nearly cried--lucky I kept myself together while he was there!). However 2 weeks later after the trial was marked, by a major suprise (Im talking near heart-attack shock!) I got the exam back which I had topped with a suprisingly respectable mark.
Moral of the story--if you get in there and absolutley freak, force yourself to start the exam (thats the hardest part), even though it won't feel like it, you WILL calm down and eventually build up the confidence to answer it in SOME way.

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
another suggestion is that try and stay away from the kids in your calss who rattle off quotes and bits and pieces of knowledge right before the exam.
Standing outside the exam hall (or room or whateva) near negative or annoyingly smart people is the worst thing b4 you go into the exam.
Try and stand around people who are quiet or like i found, by yourself.

Kulazzi

HSC
well, I learnt in PD/H/PE, that, as mentioned before, you should do some breathing techniques. Maybe I should give you a few other examples.

*runs to her room for the "stressing out" booklet*

1) Sip some cool water gently through a straw. Then breathe in through one nostril and out the other a few times (don't ask, it just says on the sheet)

2) Look at a candle flame, or fire (or imagine that you are doing this). Breathe right to the bottom of your lungs and breathe out thoroughly

3) Breathe deeply a few times making some "ha ha ha" sounds to clear the lungs (and no, this technique is not meant to be a funny one) :p

Okay, there are some more but these are the three that I chose from the sheet. I dunno if it'll work but try them out and see how it goes. :)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
It's probably a good idea if you're not cramming til the moment you are walking in the door to sit down...about 10-15 minutes or so before yo have to leave, put the books aside and talk to a friend (who isn't freaking out!), go for a quick walk, listen to a few of your fave songs, or basically anything else.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I have to be cramming till the last minute or at least have my notes with me...its a security thing.

snow bum

Banned
Yeah even if I know everything back to front come exam time (I won't but anyway), I'll stll be frantically looking over my notes. Like Year 12 said, it's a security thing, you don't want to feel like you're wasting time.

Kulazzi

HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
Why r ppl, trying to teach us how to breathe.:rolleyes: :p
Because there are many breathing techniques to calm you down and relieve your stress :rolleyes:

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
I have to be cramming till the last minute or at least have my notes with me...its a security thing.
yeah...and you got stressed out in your exam.
Case and point!

timmii

sporadic attendee
You guys are probs looking at practice HSC questions right? Also look at the paper itself and how its set out.

I nearly freaked out when i sat down for my first english AOS and it was "fill out the paper with ur numbers" time and i was freaking out - "omg this is what a real hsc paper looks like" etc etc...(i think i kinda expected it to have red flashing lights and police "do not cross signs" on it). So just knowing what it'll look like may be calming. Also use your reading time effectively to relax, see what u can/cant do and think about the paper.

For essay subjects, write mini essay plans...stops u from panicking "what will i write" when u take time to think it through! good luck - and "don't panic" ;)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
yeah...and you got stressed out in your exam.
Case and point!
I didn't freak out cos I had my notes with me. I freaked out cos I knew that I hadn't studied enough and had also wrked myself into the state of mind before the exam that I was gunna fail and knew nothing.

coroneos

Originally posted by xxx
How do you stop panic in the actual exam
I reckon i lose alot of marks becuse i panic when i see a hard question
Try not to think of what marks you need to get this or that. Just answer each question slowly and carefully..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)