Stressed because I wont be able to remember everything!!! (1 Viewer)

tlv6554

HSC
Hi so I just started year 12 and Im super stressed especially for english because I just dont see how I will be able to memorise 4 essays and a short story. Like honestly is it really hard to memorise things (which I will have to do because I tried not doing that for my prelims and nearly failed)?? And will i be short for time trying to frantically write each essay in under 40mins!?!?!

Stewartanderson

HSC
Haha, I didn't even realise we had to memorise 4 essays and a creative well after term 2 in year 12. I had the same exact reaction as you! In fact, I had to memorise 5 essays and 2 creatives because I do 3U English.

Anyway, it is not difficult! Very simple; start early! Don't cram like me! I memorised my module essays 2 days before trials and got 96%! You'll be fine.
If I could give you one tip, it would be not to have prepared essays! Write notes based on possible essay questions and memorise those techniques and quotes. It will honestly suck if you have a prepared essay and have no idea how to adapt it to the question, especially in module B which tends to be quite specific! It happened to me in the HSC :( hmm, no hope for state rank in English.

Bliske

HSC
Hi so I just started year 12 and Im super stressed especially for english because I just dont see how I will be able to memorise 4 essays and a short story. Like honestly is it really hard to memorise things (which I will have to do because I tried not doing that for my prelims and nearly failed)?? And will i be short for time trying to frantically write each essay in under 40mins!?!?!
Honestly their is no need to memorise essays. I don't know why people do so. Its not something that you would do for other subjects so why would you do it for english? You don't know what the question will ask on the day so how can you have a memorised response? If there is something I have learnt from the HSC this year is that you shouldn't be a sheep - e.g. don't memorise essays because that's what everyone else does.

Anyways, a lot will change from now until your trials/HSC exams. If you are going to memorise, it may seem overwhelming now, but trust me as you progress through the year it wont seem like such an insurmountable task. So, don't stress now, and good luck with your future english studies.

Zamura1

HSC
N/A
Why do you feel like you need to memorise all your essays? Its clear from Previous questions (including this years) that BOSTES is trying to shy away from pre-prepared essays, instead they want concepts. Just memorise some key concepts for each (Minus creative) and you should be fine to fit those in for the questions.

And for the time limit, just practise. You will slowly get faster at writing if you do time-sensitive essays.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Here's a tip -- remember quotes from your short texts (poems, speeches, etc.) and make up the rest of your quotes :p

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Honestly their is no need to memorise essays. I don't know why people do so. Its not something that you would do for other subjects so why would you do it for english? You don't know what the question will ask on the day so how can you have a memorised response? If there is something I have learnt from the HSC this year is that you shouldn't be a sheep - e.g. don't memorise essays because that's what everyone else does.

Anyways, a lot will change from now until your trials/HSC exams. If you are going to memorise, it may seem overwhelming now, but trust me as you progress through the year it wont seem like such an insurmountable task. So, don't stress now, and good luck with your future english studies.
You don't do it for other subjects because for english there's only 1 rubric that questions can be drawn from for each module but other subjects there are multiple topics for questions to be on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)