Stressed (1 Viewer)

Michelle Lin

HSC
I know I'm probably that kid that every teacher/motivational HSC speaker tells you to avoid ... a stress monger.
I'm honestly really stressed about most of my up coming half yearly exams. I'm seriously on the verge of crying. The atar I need to get into a course if 75 but my grade at school is the most competitive and 'bitchy' (we're dubbed the 'bitchy' grade of the school) so I feel like if I don't get an atar over 90 I'm completely stupid. I really do want to get an atar of 90 because I could get a Dean's Scholar version of my desired degree (mentorship, textbook allowance, etc) but it isn't really necessary.

I'm just feeling really, really stupid. I'm sorry if this post is distasteful or not allowed but I'm just stressing out so hard. I don't even know how I'm going to emotionally cope when my marks come back. I'm preparing myself but people keep telling me if I think I'll get a low mark then it's a self fulfilling prophecy but I feel like if I overestimate myself I'll just break my own heart if I get a low mark.

My half yearly exams begin on Tuesday. I'm dreading it. I want to talk to someone about it but my school friends are either offline and studying or I feel like they couldn't related since they're naturally smart or they're underhandedly snide about my concerns (e.g. I missed a lot of important school due to a respiratory infection for a really small class so I asked my friend if I could have her notes for that week but she refused so I asked the teacher and my teacher asked my class for notes.) So, I guess I just would like to be comforted, please. And again, I'm sorry if I sound like a whiny b**** but I'm just feeling so emotional.

enoilgam

HSC
I know I'm probably that kid that every teacher/motivational HSC speaker tells you to avoid ... a stress monger.
I'm honestly really stressed about most of my up coming half yearly exams. I'm seriously on the verge of crying. The atar I need to get into a course if 75 but my grade at school is the most competitive and 'bitchy' (we're dubbed the 'bitchy' grade of the school) so I feel like if I don't get an atar over 90 I'm completely stupid. I really do want to get an atar of 90 because I could get a Dean's Scholar version of my desired degree (mentorship, textbook allowance, etc) but it isn't really necessary.
If you only need 75, why are you stressing out so much? I mean, it's always good to aim high, but by your own admission you dont really need to do that well anyway. So why is it causing you so much stress?

I'm just feeling really, really stupid. I'm sorry if this post is distasteful or not allowed but I'm just stressing out so hard. I don't even know how I'm going to emotionally cope when my marks come back. I'm preparing myself but people keep telling me if I think I'll get a low mark then it's a self fulfilling prophecy but I feel like if I overestimate myself I'll just break my own heart if I get a low mark.
The HSC is a real roller-coaster ride and I think nearly everyone who puts a degree of effort into it will feel them at some point. I found that the hardest part of the HSC for me was the middle bit and this is pretty common from what I have heard.

(e.g. I missed a lot of important school due to a respiratory infection for a really small class so I asked my friend if I could have her notes for that week but she refused so I asked the teacher and my teacher asked my class for notes.)
To be blunt, that person probably isnt your friend then. A mate of mine was sick/had a family emergency during his HSC year - when he asked me for my notes I gave them to him straight away without hesitation (he was in all my subjects and coming first over me in all of them). Mates help each other out and I know if the situation was reversed, he would have done the same for me. So maybe you need to re-evaluate some of your friendships.

Michelle Lin

HSC
I don't know why but there's just so much pressure. Everyone wants to become a doctor or lawyer, or do international studies combined with something and it's like I feel like 90 is even low. A bit of this stress is probably to do with my self esteem, I know, but I want to a Bachelors in Creative Arts at Wollongong and telling people that makes them look at me with something akin to pity (for both Creative Arts and UoW) and I really want to prove that if I wanted to I could do something that requires a high atar and I'm choosing to do this because I want to. Also, there's an element of the stereotypical Asian family pressure. I have a stepbrother that got 96 and my father is expecting highly of me which I'm pretty sure I'll fall short anyway but 90 seems respectable.

I've talked to some people about the girl who didn't want to give me her notes but she is someone I consider my 'best friend' and I'm clinging onto that sentimentality. I find her 'competitiveness' about academics her biggest flaw but I need to overlook that for the rest of her virtues... I don't want to lose her but I admit I know her behaviour in these sort of situations are really unfriend-like and kind of mean.

Aysce

HSC

My half yearly exams begin on Tuesday. I'm dreading it. I want to talk to someone about it but my school friends are either offline and studying or I feel like they couldn't related since they're naturally smart or they're underhandedly snide about my concerns (e.g. I missed a lot of important school due to a respiratory infection for a really small class so I asked my friend if I could have her notes for that week but she refused so I asked the teacher and my teacher asked my class for notes.) So, I guess I just would like to be comforted, please. And again, I'm sorry if I sound like a whiny b**** but I'm just feeling so emotional.
Firstly, take a deep breath. Stating the obvious here, but you have to learn to control your stress and channel it in a positive way so maybe go for a 10 minute walk just to clear your mind out for the time being and take things more into perspective. It is absolutely crucial that you don't let stress consume you, especially before your half yearlies.

You should not feel that way - just because you don't achieve an ATAR of 90 doesn't mean you're stupid at all. Do not worry about how "smart" your grade is and what they'd think of you if you achieve X ATAR. All that matters in the HSC is you and only you, who cares about what others are doing? Swim your own race was what I was told by another wise BoSer. Regarding the marks issue, yeah it happens to all of us. The only thing you can actually do is hope for the best - the result is unpredictable, there is nothing else to it. I'm sure you'll do fine Michelle, just please try not to worry too much about this because it is ultimately avoidable. The sooner you stop worrying about this, the better. Focus on what is currently in front of you and disregard all possibilities. I want you to solely think of trying your best and optimising the amount of time you have left for preparation.

Abraham Lincoln once said "Let no feeling of discouragement prey upon you, and in the end you are sure to succeed". (From my inspirational wall hahaha) :)

If you ever need someone to talk to about this, feel free to PM me. I'm not sure if my advice is any consolation to you, but I hope it has provided you with some security.

enoilgam

HSC
I don't know why but there's just so much pressure. Everyone wants to become a doctor or lawyer, or do international studies combined with something and it's like I feel like 90 is even low. A bit of this stress is probably to do with my self esteem, I know, but I want to a Bachelors in Creative Arts at Wollongong and telling people that makes them look at me with something akin to pity (for both Creative Arts and UoW) and I really want to prove that if I wanted to I could do something that requires a high atar and I'm choosing to do this because I want to. Also, there's an element of the stereotypical Asian family pressure. I have a stepbrother that got 96 and my father is expecting highly of me which I'm pretty sure I'll fall short anyway but 90 seems respectable.
I guess there is always that pressure, but ultimately if there is a career you want to pursue you should irespective of what others think. Doing a degree you arent interested in just because others want you to or because it's prestigious isnt a good idea - you will just end up very unhappy.

As for the rest of the year you just have to keep pushing on - like I said, the HSC has its ups and downs but you just have to keep going and putting in your best. That's all you can do really.

I've talked to some people about the girl who didn't want to give me her notes but she is someone I consider my 'best friend' and I'm clinging onto that sentimentality. I find her 'competitiveness' about academics her biggest flaw but I need to overlook that for the rest of her virtues... I don't want to lose her but I admit I know her behaviour in these sort of situations are really unfriend-like and kind of mean.
To me, that is a sign of disloyalty and I wouldnt want to hang around someone like that - especially if they make me feel terrible.

Michelle Lin

HSC
Thanks guys. I needed reassurance that I can get through the HSC intact.

If I cut out everyone that I'm friends with who's that bad with competitiveness I'll be so very lonely with about 5 friends in my life. I realise that says something about my choices in friends but I have distanced myself from the worst of them and after high school it's a new start.

Again, thank you guys. :hug2:

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Maybe start doing some exercise?

I'd always go for 30min sprints.

It really clears your mind, makes you relaxed and lets you release all that crappy tension/stress.

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Well, I didn't mean that specifically!

Any form of exercise makes you feel refreshed, even walking, would do just fine.

Aysce

HSC
Maybe start doing some exercise?

I'd always go for 30min sprints.

It really clears your mind, makes you relaxed and lets you release all that crappy tension/stress.
This.

Sprinting/Jogging/Smashing the crap outta my punching bag really does get rid of inner and physical tension.

A healthy body = A healthy mind. (Not too relevant, but still :haha: )

Thanks guys. I needed reassurance that I can get through the HSC intact.

If I cut out everyone that I'm friends with who's that bad with competitiveness I'll be so very lonely with about 5 friends in my life. I realise that says something about my choices in friends but I have distanced myself from the worst of them and after high school it's a new start.

Again, thank you guys. :hug2:
You're welcome.

Best of luck with your Half yearlies and for the rest of the year :)

CBA Prodigy

HSC
You really need to take a step back and put things into perspective.

Stop stressing.

All my assignments are last minute and even my half yearly study. Heck, I'm about 20% prepared and they are on Tuesday. If I consumed myself with so much stress, I would indeed fail all my assignments and exams. Quite to the contrary, I take it slowly and get things done while achieving top 5 across all my subs.

SunnyScience

HSC
Dude, trust me when I say that I probably stressed out just as much if not more than you currently are now i.e. several breakdowns.

In all seriousness, your ATAR doesn't mean a thing after you get into your course. I know it's hard to see it right now (I too was the same when everyone else was telling me the same thing), but it really doesn't. Don't stress over it.

Just do YOUR best if that's what will make you happy. I know TONES (and I literally mean TONES) of people who got far below 70 and are still at uni doing something, whether it be what they want to do or a second-path to what they do.
If there's a will, there's a way.

BOS SUPPORT NETWORK.

louielouiee

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Dude, trust me when I say that I probably stressed out just as much if not more than you currently are now i.e. several breakdowns.

In all seriousness, your ATAR doesn't mean a thing after you get into your course. I know it's hard to see it right now (I too was the same when everyone else was telling me the same thing), but it really doesn't. Don't stress over it.

Just do YOUR best if that's what will make you happy. I know TONES (and I literally mean TONES) of people who got far below 70 and are still at uni doing something, whether it be what they want to do or a second-path to what they do.
If there's a will, there's a way.

BOS SUPPORT NETWORK.

I'm loving the idea of the BOS Support Network.

Should defs become a thing on here.

Represent <3

SunnyScience

HSC
I'm loving the idea of the BOS Support Network.

Should defs become a thing on here.

Represent <3
Yay. 2 people on board.

It should be a new section in the forums that deals with all aspecting relating to well-being and education, e.g. friend making at school, work stresses etc. Just people to talk to. The moderators of that forum should have a title such as "Senior Helper" (or a name x100 better than this suggestion).

Continue.

enoilgam

HSC
Yay. 2 people on board.

It should be a new section in the forums that deals with all aspecting relating to well-being and education, e.g. friend making at school, work stresses etc. Just people to talk to. The moderators of that forum should have a title such as "Senior Helper" (or a name x100 better than this suggestion).

Continue.
I actually quite like this idea.

WeaselPowa

HSC
This thread is exactly why I love the BOS community :)

And really, if you feel like aiming for 90 ATAR is causing you this much stress (in order to meets societies expectations) just go for 75. A massive weight will be lifted off your shoulders, and when in uni, you will meet many other people who got a similar result as you :)

Last edited:

SuperMike96

HSC
Fuck that, Wollongong is a great Uni in a beautiful location. The only problem is the locals can be a bit shady, even then it is no worse than Sutherland... Remember that it is not the reputation of the Uni that makes a person successful it is hard work and what the person actually does with the degree.

Okashi

HSC
Aim low then score high...
less pressure and stress and in the end might achieve higher marks.

Good luck!

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
This thread is exactly why I love the BOS community :)

And really, if you feel like aiming for 90 ATAR is causing you this much stress (in order to meets societies expectations) just go for 75. A massive weight will be lifted off your shoulders, and when in uni, you will meet many other people who got a similar result as you :)
Agreed, I met lots of people who got an lower Atar than 80 at my Uni. Uni is Uni, doesn't matter if you got a lower or higher Atar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)