Stressing out, advice needed. (1 Viewer)

resourceater

HSC
Hi everyone,

Since I've been in year 12, I've been struggling to keep up in both advanced and extension english. It's not that I don't understand the concepts but rather, that I can never articulate what I want to say in the right way. Basically, it's just a serious case of writer's block and I've never experienced it before. In my preliminary year, I did (to be blunt) extremely well in english and now I'm stressing out about a couple of simple assignments. It's like I've forgotten how to write and I can't even form proper sentences. I don't even start tasks because I anticipate I won't be able to do them.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? :frown2: advice?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
What I did for Adv english, is that people (the top students) from the year above me essentially gave me their essays (and assessment tasks) and I used them. However, I used all the same ideas but revamped theirs and made it even better - doing this got me heaps of 13,14,15/15

You also need to know every text you're doing, and what I did is hired tutors who had the same texts (and of course they we willing to give me their essays). BUT I did make it my own, because I didn't want to risk it for the hsc. I was also tempted to write it out word for word because of different schools, but I knew I would have to make it my own for the hsc - so I did it at the start of the year (instead of closer to the hsc). You gotta be really good in articulating their work so it doesn't decrease quality, but have your own style through it

It's not really advice I guess, but this is what I had to do to compete with my peers (and I beat them too), because there was no way I was writing an essay from scratch.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What I did for Adv english, is that people (the top students) from the year above me essentially gave me their essays (and assessment tasks) and I used them. However, I used all the same ideas but revamped theirs and made it even better - doing this got me heaps of 13,14,15/15

You also need to know every text you're doing, and what I did is hired tutors who had the same texts (and of course they we willing to give me their essays). BUT I did make it my own, because I didn't want to risk it for the hsc. I was also tempted to write it out word for word because of different schools, but I knew I would have to make it my own for the hsc - so I did it at the start of the year (instead of closer to the hsc). You gotta be really good in articulating their work so it doesn't decrease quality, but have your own style through it

It's not really advice I guess, but this is what I had to do to compete with my peers (and I beat them too), because there was no way I was writing an essay from scratch.
Wow that's a real bad reflection on the English syllabi. I always loved doing essays from scratch.

My advice to OP-I used to brainstorm stuff before I wrote my English things and then backspace once I had written that idea out in a more long way, and then kept culling to get it down, then redraft, feedback etc. way less daunting than writing something perfect (which is impossible) first go.

resourceater

HSC
Wow, I had never thought of doing this... Thanks for your help, although I don't think I would be able to pursue this idea because plagiarism (not that that is what you did) has been a persistent problem in my school and the english staff are keenly aware of any semblance of it.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Wow, I had never thought of doing this... Thanks for your help, although I don't think I would be able to pursue this idea because plagiarism (not that that is what you did) has been a persistent problem in my school and the english staff are keenly aware of any semblance of it.
Same with my school, EVERY task (english, phys, chem, bio anything with words) was necessary to send it to "turnitin.com". Plus we have only 1 advance class each year - it's all up to you I guess

Wow that's a real bad reflection on the English syllabi. I always loved doing essays from scratch.

My advice to OP-I used to brainstorm stuff before I wrote my English things and then backspace once I had written that idea out in a more long way, and then kept culling to get it down, then redraft, feedback etc. way less daunting than writing something perfect (which is impossible) first go.
Well, tough then buddy. HSC is a game and I played it.

Last edited:

LolaBell

HSC
STOP STRESSING! You know you can do it! You have produced amazing work before and you can DEFINATELY do it again. In all honesty, HSC is nothing and not as big of a deal as everyone gets in their head once they reach year 12. Just relax and think to your self 'this is nothing' and if I do not get as good as I wanted in this task I will learn from my mistakes and improve in the next one. I know people who did crap in all their English assessments but then made a huge comeback in HSC and got good overall result

resourceater

HSC
Hey guys, thanks for all your help and encouragement. :)
@lovehateschool, I'll definitely give what you said a go.

@absolutezero, thanks for the link.

@lolabell, wow what you said is so nice, I think if i just assume a more pragmatic approach to the whole thing, then it'll all be ok.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Look, honestly everyone goes through that with english. Personally, I believe it's a really hard subject. So first things first, don't begin tasks with that attitude; that won't get you anywhere. However corny this sounds, believe in yourself and your own ability, considering you are a gifted student.

I experienced the same thing when completing class work + assignments. I vividly remember having to write a speech for module C, conflicting perspectives, which featured me over-analysing what the task was telling me etc. If you have any doubts about anything, talk to teachers, friends etc - they'll reassure you.

As for actually confronting tasks, break them down. Ask yourself what it's asking of you, and brainstorm broad ideas, then break them down further. Once you slow down and think a little, everything will become easier. Even if you are doubting your own ideas, just write them down and don't be afraid to get advice from others. I had an english tutor and teacher who was amazing in boosting my confidence and reinforcing my ideas.

So basically what I'm saying is don't doubt yourself, just start writing (even if it's poorly expressed) and then get someone to help you organise your ideas. Also it's a great idea to into peer marking; I had a friend who was really good at articulating ideas etc, so she'd help me improve my work.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Look, honestly everyone goes through that with english. Personally, I believe it's a really hard subject. So first things first, don't begin tasks with that attitude; that won't get you anywhere. However corny this sounds, believe in yourself and your own ability, considering you are a gifted student.

I experienced the same thing when completing class work + assignments. I vividly remember having to write a speech for module C, conflicting perspectives, which featured me over-analysing what the task was telling me etc. If you have any doubts about anything, talk to teachers, friends etc - they'll reassure you.

As for actually confronting tasks, break them down. Ask yourself what it's asking of you, and brainstorm broad ideas, then break them down further. Once you slow down and think a little, everything will become easier. Even if you are doubting your own ideas, just write them down and don't be afraid to get advice from others. I had an english tutor and teacher who was amazing in boosting my confidence and reinforcing my ideas.

So basically what I'm saying is don't doubt yourself, just start writing (even if it's poorly expressed) and then get someone to help you organise your ideas. Also it's a great idea to into peer marking; I had a friend who was really good at articulating ideas etc, so she'd help me improve my work.
+1, this is excellent advice.

jnney

lemon
HSC
It might be the fact that sub-consciously, you're thinking, 'wow. this time, it's actually counting towards something. i need to write all these sentences the best way possible to in order to get the highest mark possible.' I had the same problem throughout year 12.

you need to step away, and forget for a moment that you're doing this for the hsc.

when brainstorming ideas/a thesis, or whatever you're trying to say, instead of sitting in front of a computer or with a pen and paper - think of a question to ask yourself about the text, and then go on to answer it as if there was someone listening to you. or better yet - say it to your parents. it could be about anything, and basically, it's you trying to put together your essay aloud by talking to yourself/someone else.

e.g. You: 'so, i need to write this essay, but im not sure how to start. there are a few things that i feel like i must address, like XYZ, and the scene in ABC really stood out for me because VVVV..that technique was really HHHH'.

That was my way of breaking through the perfectionist/i-cant-articulate-myself phase.

Good luck!

jnney

lemon
HSC
It might be the fact that sub-consciously, you're thinking, 'wow. this time, it's actually counting towards something. i need to write all these sentences the best way possible to in order to get the highest mark possible.' I had the same problem throughout year 12.

you need to step away, and forget for a moment that you're doing this for the hsc.

when brainstorming ideas/a thesis, or whatever you're trying to say, instead of sitting in front of a computer or with a pen and paper - think of a question to ask yourself about the text, and then go on to answer it as if there was someone listening to you. or better yet - say it to your parents. it could be about anything, and basically, it's you trying to put together your essay aloud by talking to yourself/someone else.

e.g. You: 'so, i need to write this essay, but im not sure how to start. there are a few things that i feel like i must address, like XYZ, and the scene in ABC really stood out for me because VVVV..that technique was really HHHH'.

You can then recall what you wanted to say when you're actually writing your essay.

That was my way of breaking through the perfectionist/i-cant-articulate-myself phase.

Good luck!

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
My advice is get an English tutor. The tutors at North Shore are really good, they help write and strengthen your essays. Have consultation times with your English teacher. Hand in your essay plans to your teacher and a small sample of your essay. All the very best in your studies.

inJust

HSC
I had to same problem. I started to cbf the hsc then win.

Cinndy

HSC
N/A
My advice would be to take a rest, study for another subject and then try again.
It'll only get worst if you continually worry about not practicing your essays up to your usual standard. That will build up a negative perspective on yourself.

Brainstorm on the themes, add ideas and exemplify them through with examples and relevant quotes. It should come naturally !

FruitJuice

HSC
Dude quite seriously, given time you will get over the whole stress thing. As you progress through the year you will be accustomed to it and you wont even think about it. I was like that last year but then gradually I learnt how to deal with it. Stressing is hugely counter-productive, better to just take on a cbf attitude when you are stressing - it really helps.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Same with my school, EVERY task (english, phys, chem, bio anything with words) was necessary to send it to "turnitin.com". Plus we have only 1 advance class each year - it's all up to you I guess

Well, tough then buddy. HSC is a game and I played it.
Well I played it too obviously, but I took a different approach to it in English. It's sad the HSC is more of a game than about the education though.

Hey guys, thanks for all your help and encouragement. :)
@lovehateschool, I'll definitely give what you said a go.

@absolutezero, thanks for the link.

@lolabell, wow what you said is so nice, I think if i just assume a more pragmatic approach to the whole thing, then it'll all be ok.
Good luck, you'll get there :) I always found it easier to write more than what was needed, so then I could cut things out and such, and extend certain things.

My advice is get an English tutor. The tutors at North Shore are really good, they help write and strengthen your essays. Have consultation times with your English teacher. Hand in your essay plans to your teacher and a small sample of your essay. All the very best in your studies.
Not that I am being anti tutor here, but I think in this instance OP needs to experiment with how they approach their tasks as I figure the block is to do with Yr 12 things counting and it cramping their writing.

resourceater

HSC
Whew, a whole bunch of great ideas and a lot of consolation... Which I needed :D Thanks again

Michelle Lin

HSC
Most of my opinions on this topic has been said already but I'd like to point out a few things -
The HSC is not a reflection on your value as a person. It's a test that asks you to regurgitate information that the BoARD of Studies has given you in the way they want you to.
If it's simple writer's block and not difficulty with the actual subject then it might be performance anxiety. Many people who do very well in the preliminary HSC has frozen up on the first assessment block in my school. My school staff and peers put a lot of pressure on us to perform well and since we're selective we put a lot of pressure on ourselves. If this is the case then just put it out of your mind. I know this sounds a bit ridiculous but stop thinking about it and leave it alone for a couple of days. With a less stressed mind you'll be able to think clearer and calmer.
You can also read a couple of essays to get into the groove and experiment with your style.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)