Stronger HSC Standards (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Full link here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/stronger-hsc-standards/

Not applicable for 2016 HSC students, but I figured that some of you may be interested. I've bolded the more interesting changes.

For the lazy or on Tapatalk:

[video]https://youtu.be/DoK4-1l-hCk[/video]

• establishing a minimum literacy and numeracy standard from 2020. Students in Year 9 from 2017 will be able to meet the standard by achieving Band 8 in NAPLAN in reading, writing and numeracy. From 2018, an online literacy and numeracy test will be available for students to demonstrate they have met the standard
  • establishing a regular review cycle of syllabuses provided online. Syllabuses will provide more opportunities for students to master knowledge and skills
  • new courses, starting with a Science Extension course for Year 12 from 2019
  • introducing rigourous guidelines for effective school-based assessment that focuses on the application of knowledge and skills, and reduces student stress by capping the number of tasks
  • redesign HSC exam questions to assess depth of knowledge and application of skills
  • apply a common scale for maths, to encourage students to study the maths course best suited to their level of ability.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
I watched the video.

No more predicting essay questions. That was interesting.

Minimum standard also sounds appropriate.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Extension Science, encouraging STEM, I see. My Physics teacher is a certified STEM teacher who performed at USYD, and they are planning to promote this further.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
New standards ... Better actually be of a high standard.

If it's anything like the school certificate .....

leehuan

HSC
What's extension science gonna be like?
There's been discussion on Physics Extension and Chemistry Extension for a while. You might wanna look through articles about it. (I think a general Science Extension was the ultimate decision.)

But I wouldn't know too much.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I watched the video.

No more predicting essay questions. That was interesting.

Minimum standard also sounds appropriate.
Less focus on memorising English essays (which I find rlly good)

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Less focus on memorising English essays (which I find rlly good)
they say that, but people are going to find a way to hack the system and make $$ since English needs to have a marking scheme. Unless they totally abolish/make a really vague marking scheme, English will always be rote learned. However if they do end up making English like that, then it will make English more of guessing what the marker likes. Which will make English even more bullshit than its current retarded state.

Last edited:

iforgotmyname

Metallic Oxide
HSC
Full link here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/stronger-hsc-standards/

Not applicable for 2016 HSC students, but I figured that some of you may be interested. I've bolded the more interesting changes.

For the lazy or on Tapatalk:

[video]https://youtu.be/DoK4-1l-hCk[/video]

• establishing a minimum literacy and numeracy standard from 2020. Students in Year 9 from 2017 will be able to meet the standard by achieving Band 8 in NAPLAN in reading, writing and numeracy. From 2018, an online literacy and numeracy test will be available for students to demonstrate they have met the standard
  • establishing a regular review cycle of syllabuses provided online. Syllabuses will provide more opportunities for students to master knowledge and skills
  • new courses, starting with a Science Extension course for Year 12 from 2019
  • introducing rigourous guidelines for effective school-based assessment that focuses on the application of knowledge and skills, and reduces student stress by capping the number of tasks
  • redesign HSC exam questions to assess depth of knowledge and application of skills
  • apply a common scale for maths, to encourage students to study the maths course best suited to their level of ability.
If they do a common scale, all the 4 unit gods will just pick 2/3 unit maths and smurf for the marks. I don't believe that is very practical because the effort to reward ratio will simply not be worth it.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
If they do a common scale, all the 4 unit gods will just pick 2/3 unit maths and smurf for the marks. I don't believe that is very practical because the effort to reward ratio will simply not be worth it.
When I read scale, I interpreted as more overlaps between courses (especially needed for general vs advanced) and only HSC marks wise with the alignment. ATAR scaling is different.

si2136

HSC
N/A
I also failed this standard(writing) and I think I'm okay at english
My year was the year where everyone failed writing, the average was like a D for the whole NSW

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
lol its funny cuz i got like band 4s for english at that time, a wrong direction imo, just makes the disadvantaged more disadvantaged..

leehuan

HSC
Yr 9 NAPLAN... I bombed the reading not the writing lol...

I have no clue how online testing will work for NAPLAN but in regards to the cheating issue, since students are being enforced to have laptops for secondary education now it should be possible to design some kind of technology to force students to being able to sit their test at an allocated time. Which may not be worthwhile since then some people could probably call a sickie and cheat at home anyway, unless each school had a code or something that barricades students from doing so.

But the minimum standard was only ok to me because there is an eligibility test present.

Writing tests being conducted online sounds so dodge to me though.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Yr 9 NAPLAN... I bombed the reading not the writing lol...

I have no clue how online testing will work for NAPLAN but in regards to the cheating issue, since students are being enforced to have laptops for secondary education now it should be possible to design some kind of technology to force students to being able to sit their test at an allocated time. Which may not be worthwhile since then some people could probably call a sickie and cheat at home anyway, unless each school had a code or something that barricades students from doing so.

But the minimum standard was only ok to me because there is an eligibility test present.

Writing tests being conducted online sounds so dodge to me though.
How do you still remember your result for NAPLAN lol.

By the way, online NAPLAN testing will probably work the same way as the ESSA assessment program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)