structure. help!!!! (2 Viewers)

Pace_T

HSC
hey all
im doing physical journesy and i have multiple themes that i will discuss in the essay
but i am unsure of how i structure it
is it like:
theme 1-
-text 1
-text 2
-text 3
theme 2-
-text 1
-text 2
-text 3
and so on
or is it like text 1, and each theme for that, and then text 2 and each theme for that

i have a list of themes that i could possibly talk about, and then when isee the question i will choose the most appropriate themes (max of around 3)

thanks!

blue_eye_baby

HSC
either way works....u can talk about the entire text with all the examples/techniques then move onto the next...thats probably what i would do. Whatever siuts you best and the question --- if u have to compare/contrast and so on

nwatts

HSC
Nah, that structure is both boring and limiting. The second one you mentioned would ensure no synthesis and a mark of around 6.

Don't use texts in such an isolated manner. It shouldn't be "text 1, text 2, text 3" - more "all texts" as you have to be dipping in and out all the time to get the high marks. In the same way, don't consider themes to be so isolated - as i've found they usually all run together some how. Pick a thread/thesis that covers a variety of themes, and then use them as subpoints throughout your essay. Synthesise your themes like you would your texts.

My structure is more -

Essay

:p (ie, lots of room for customised structure!)

Last edited:

Pace_T

HSC
cheers dude
yeah i was thinking something like that - how the lack of integration loses marks but i came to question this idea when i saw many non-integrated texts in the resource section

nwatts

HSC
Resource section of BOS here? Ignore them. You won't get high marks if you don't synthesise.

blue_eye_baby

HSC
nwatts said:
Nah, that structure is both boring and limiting. The second one you mentioned would ensure no synthesis and a mark of around 6.

Don't use texts in such an isolated manner. It shouldn't be "text 1, text 2, text 3" - more "all texts" as you have to be dipping in and out all the time to get the high marks. In the same way, don't consider themes to be so isolated - as i've found they usually all run together some how. Pick a thread/thesis that covers a variety of themes, and then use them as subpoints throughout your essay. Synthesise your themes like you would your texts.

My structure is more -

Essay

:p (ie, lots of room for customised structure!)
how do you have time to do all that?????

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
There is no set structure man,
u can do it whatever way u feel comfortable

I like using this structure:
intro
set text-poem 1
set text-poem 2
BOS stimulus
related text 1
related text 2 [if I have time]

nwatts

HSC
blue_eye_baby said:
how do you have time to do all that?????
What do you mean? Synthesising doesn't take time, it just requires you to think a bit more.

I have time to write because I know how much I can get out in 40 mins, and I pace myself accordingly. If you're worried about time, you really need to be practicing more.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
There are different ways to get into band 6 and I find that you don't have to fully integrate the essay. Of course, it's great if you can, but structuring the AOS essay according to different texts isn't that bad, as long as you still partially synthesise by finding links between them. A good way to do it is to identify broadly 2 or 3 "notions" of the journey, and match the core poems with related and AOS texts.

Basically, complete integration requires quite a bit of skill, more than the skill required to get into band 6. At this late stage, it is not the best way to go if you aren't used to it.

nwatts

HSC
Fine, to get into Band 6 (a 13/15?) you don't have to completely integrate your response. But to get 15/15, you do.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Fine, to get into Band 6 (a 13/15?) you don't have to completely integrate your response. But to get 15/15, you do.
I'm afraid you are wrong. Check out what standard package is available to you. I can only access Change 2002, but at least two of the four "exemplar" (i.e. 15/15) responses had huge sections that weren't fully integrated. Admittedly, the question was a feature article, but the same rules would apply.

Truth is, the HSC is a fairly pluralistic exercise. They recognise that different schools teach different structures and have different marking standards etc. That's why there's quite a bit of freedom allowed, and there aren't any strict criterias over the "correct" way to structure an essay. The work is looked upon as a whole, and if you are a good english student, the sophisticated persona, the "voice" will still be demonstrated through other methods such as vocab and sentence structure. It is a fallacy to impose one school's marking criteria, to assume that the HSC models it.

nwatts

HSC
I'm going from what I've been told by HSC markers (advanced/area of study), the HSC advice line and BOS notes. Complete synthesis of texts is needed for full marks.

Also, "exemplar" does not mean 15/15. We've had this discussion before in another thread over the definition of exemplar. I'll find it if you want.

I'm willing to go light on you, considering you seem to be a fan of my favourite movie ever. :p

Mellonie

HSC
_dhj_ said:
I'm afraid you are wrong. Check out what standard package is available to you. I can only access Change 2002, but at least two of the four "exemplar" (i.e. 15/15) responses had huge sections that weren't fully integrated. Admittedly, the question was a feature article, but the same rules would apply.

Truth is, the HSC is a fairly pluralistic exercise. They recognise that different schools teach different structures and have different marking standards etc. That's why there's quite a bit of freedom allowed, and there aren't any strict criterias over the "correct" way to structure an essay. The work is looked upon as a whole, and if you are a good english student, the sophisticated persona, the "voice" will still be demonstrated through other methods such as vocab and sentence structure. It is a fallacy to impose one school's marking criteria, to assume that the HSC models it.

Nwatts is completly right in what he/or she has said.
Your the one who is completly mistaken. You told her to go look at the standradrs package, but u must be mistaken if you really think they put the 15/15 essays for you to look at. I mean its been said to us many times, dont think thats what will get u 15 marks, they never put the best ones up becayuse they would like to see what students can think of on their own rather then memorise chunks of other pplz work.

You definately need to interegate ur work, if u look at the marking guideleines they look for synthesis. That is 3 texts in one paragraph, either conveying contrasting ideas or similar ideas.

I tend to mix n match, like say i'm talking about "THe tempest" i will suggest how shakespeare's character Prospero is searching for the "Genii Loci" which Geok Lim refers to in her noevel extract and hence Prospero becomes "blessed and altered" at the end of his journey. While on the other hand Harry Potter does search for the "Genii Loci" but and also enters his "internal pshycholosy" but intead learns the intellectual realm is a challenge which does not offer growth easily.

like that theirs 3 texts in that, and it is not long at all, and obviously i will be using more techniques and so forth... but that was somethign from top of my head suggesting how to synthesise. Now if u were a marker you know the betetr students can synthesise while others r still stuck with block method from yr 7.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
considering you seem to be a fan of my favourite movie ever.
Hey.. are you serious? Yes it's my favourite film ever aswell and I'm using it as a related text for physical journeys. :D

Mellonie

HSC
nwatts said:
I'm going from what I've been told by HSC markers (advanced/area of study), the HSC advice line and BOS notes. Complete synthesis of texts is needed for full marks.

Also, "exemplar" does not mean 15/15. We've had this discussion before in another thread over the definition of exemplar. I'll find it if you want.

I'm willing to go light on you, considering you seem to be a fan of my favourite movie ever. :p

COMPLETLY AGREE... man this guy aint trying to threaten u atleas tu know now. I mean dont freak out cuz u ahvent been synthesising, learn how u can

nwatts

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Hey.. are you serious? Yes it's my favourite film ever aswell and I'm using it as a related text for physical journeys. :D
Haha... physical journeys, ey? Nice work.

And yes, I'm near obsessed with it. :)

Mellonie: I'm male, and thanks for the kind words. ;) YOU ALL NEED TO SYNTHESISE DAMMINT!

HSC
goan_crazy said:
There is no set structure man,
u can do it whatever way u feel comfortable

I like using this structure:
intro
set text-poem 1
set text-poem 2
BOS stimulus
related text 1
related text 2 [if I have time]
I agree with you. Not everyone can synthesise, there can be a chance of confusion, and you should stick to what you are comfortable with and confident with. If you can explain and justify your point and meet the rubric, then do it. I'm glad nwatts can synthesise for a HSC paper, good on you mate.

Mellonie

HSC

nwatts said:
Haha... physical journeys, ey? Nice work.

And yes, I'm near obsessed with it. :)

Mellonie: I'm male, and thanks for the kind words. ;) YOU ALL NEED TO SYNTHESISE DAMMINT!

yer sori in the first thread i didnt bother seeing ur sex, but yep acknowledged now. :)

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Before everyone goes and synthesizes their essay, it should be noted that synthesizing is only good if it is done to perfection. If you "synthesize" your texts and you are all over the place then you are much better off doing it systematically.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Mellonie said:
Nwatts is completly right in what he/or she has said.
Your the one who is completly mistaken. You told her to go look at the standradrs package, but u must be mistaken if you really think they put the 15/15 essays for you to look at. I mean its been said to us many times, dont think thats what will get u 15 marks, they never put the best ones up becayuse they would like to see what students can think of on their own rather then memorise chunks of other pplz work.

You definately need to interegate ur work, if u look at the marking guideleines they look for synthesis. That is 3 texts in one paragraph, either conveying contrasting ideas or similar ideas.

I tend to mix n match, like say i'm talking about "THe tempest" i will suggest how shakespeare's character Prospero is searching for the "Genii Loci" which Geok Lim refers to in her noevel extract and hence Prospero becomes "blessed and altered" at the end of his journey. While on the other hand Harry Potter does search for the "Genii Loci" but and also enters his "internal pshycholosy" but intead learns the intellectual realm is a challenge which does not offer growth easily.

like that theirs 3 texts in that, and it is not long at all, and obviously i will be using more techniques and so forth... but that was somethign from top of my head suggesting how to synthesise. Now if u were a marker you know the betetr students can synthesise while others r still stuck with block method from yr 7.
You need to sythesise to an extent, but complete synthesis is just not required IMO. Synthesis is more vital as a technique rather than its structural counterpart (integration). What I mean is you can structure your response around texts rather than notions or whatever else, as it is still possible to draw comparision between the different texts in that way.

nwatts: also, I used to live in Wollongong :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)