• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Structure of cyanide CN (1 Viewer)

deadbeat

HSC
How can CN be a triple bond as represented below??

C has a valence of 4.

how can it share 3 electrons with N and then still have 2 electrons?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
CN has an extra electron than the "normal" electron count, which is also why CN is negatively charged.

HSC
Coordenate convalent bond? Correct me if im wrong. If the op isn't sure that it is then ill explain then... Back to King Lear :).
Cheers.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
How would you explain it with coordinate covalent bond? I think any quirky thing is tagged CCV?

In this case anyhow the extra e in C is from the environment? Yeah, I think it's from the environment when CN comes into contact with other substances that donate e. Simply like how you have H+ and Cl-. CN- is the same. It gains e from anything like H, Na, K atoms, etc. Remember CN- doesn't exist on its own. It either covalently or ionically bonds with other 'things'. Yes, that's easy.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Yea, coordinate covalent bond is really a formality. Once formed, CCB is identical to a normal covalent bond.

HSC
Yer thanks 4 that xiao, i know that the anion CN- is a ligand and it has a high tendency to coordinate covalent bond. But i was wrong to suggest that its triple covalent bond contained a coordinate covalent bond.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)