• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

structure of imaginative journey essay (2 Viewers)

HSC
I was just wondering how to structure the imaginative journey essay. I know this has probably been said time and time again, so I am sorry if it has. Do you structure it according to texts, such as:

(a) core text
(b) stimulus booklet text
(c) additional text one
(d) additional text two

Alternatively, do you structure it by the aspects of imaginative journey, or is that just silly?

LostAuzzie

HSC
I think either works, it's more personal preference and what is easier for you.
I structure by texts which doesn't work too bad and my marks weren't any better when I atgtempted structuring by what the text is saying about the topic in question.
So yeh, either way works fine just do what is easier for you.

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
Just make sure you have the time management down if you plan to mix the stimulus and prescribed texts around. Personally I like to do my Coleridge texts, then either a stimulus or related, followed by whatever I didnt do the last paragraph.
I learnt something the other day which I shouldve had down a while ago, but always link your thesis to the beginning and end of your paragraphs, while referring to elements of the question througout it.

edit: for imaginative I do fall victim to the clearly separated textual paragraphs rather than themes, however drawing parallels between the texts through these paragraphs does help considerably

HSC
Yeah I can see what you both mean. To figure out what I am going to do, I read some essays and other threads, but last night read an essay on the imaginative journey, and it was structured by texts, but slightly linked at the end of one text with the start of another, such as:

(Coleridge paragraph)
This aspect of imaginative journey is similar/different to (next text)
(Explores next text)
This aspect of imaginative journey is connected to (next text)
(Explores next text)

So basically, they worked through the texts, however finding a common element throughout both about journey, and as exa_boi87 said, it links to the question and finds common elements.

Is that a way to go?

bonniejjj

HSC
Our teacher told us its very difficult to get into band 6 without synthesising. In the hal-yearly and trials I wrote text by text, but I've recently prepared a synthesised essay around the concepts of inspiration, speculation, and imagination (as in the syllabus.) I suggest you give it go at least.
Natalie you asked "do you structure it by the aspects of imaginative journey, or is that just silly?" I don't think thats silly at all. I think thats a very good idea (I would think thats the best way to approach it,) so give it a go.
That said, it is more difficult to write synthesised responses (which is why good one's get band 6's) but once you get the hang of it its worth it. In the trials all my english responses were synthesised except journeys, so I'm trying to improve that area for the real HSC.

HSC
The problem with synthesising for me, is that I do not know if I have covered a text enough throughout an essay, hence creating an essay or response through text-by-text, I find for myself easier to know what I have done such as devices and techniques and aspects of journey. You said you have prepared one based around the concepts of inspiration, speculation and imagination, how would you manipulate that to the question? Also, would a response based on texts, connecting them all with common elements, obtain a high-ish mark? I am really worried that I will not be able to synthesise a response at this stage in time.

bonniejjj

HSC
*n.a.t.a.l.i.e* said:
You said you have prepared one based around the concepts of inspiration, speculation and imagination, how would you manipulate that to the question?
Ok, for example, lets use the question from the independent trial (I did the CSSA paper but we were given a copy of independent for practice.)

"You have been asked to speak in a debate. The topic of the debate is: 'Journeys are always learning experiences.' You are allowed to decide whether you will argue for or against this statement. Write the speech you would present.'
Good morning audience, fellow speakers, and adjudicator. Imaginative journeys have the power to transport us, to take us into worlds separate from our own reality. Journeys of the imagination are closely interwoven with the inner and physical. What separates imaginative journeys from other forms is that the destination is not a physical place; rather it is a state of mind. This idea is explored in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poems Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and Kubla Khan, Shirley Geok-lin Lim's The Town Where Time Stands Still (Text 7 in the Board of Studies Stimulus Booklet) and Marele Day's feature article The Edge of Darkness (published in The Weekend Australian, 20-21, April 2002.) Each of these texts takes us into different worlds; of inspiration, speculation, and imagination. Reading them we are transformed; we cannot help but attain a greater understanding of self, and the imaginative journey. Therefore journeys are always learning experiences.

There's a rough adjustment to the intro of my essay to fit the question. Basically, use the concepts of inspiration, speculation and imagination as tools to argue your point. Also you needn't introduce your texts in the first paragraph, I've just chosen to (some would argue against it.)

Also, for another example, the CSSA trial:

"Any journey includes both realities and possiblities." To which extent do the texts you have studied support this idea.

You could still structure it around those three concepts:
Inspiration: talk about the realities and possiblities associated with the inspirational aspects of the texts...

And so one. I hope that helped anyway....

*n.a.t.a.l.i.e* said:
Also, would a response based on texts, connecting them all with common elements, obtain a high-ish mark? I am really worried that I will not be able to synthesise a response at this stage in time.
Doing it this way, and doing it well, would definately give you high marks. It is a very good alternative to complete synthesis because it saves the confusion and also shows you understand that the texts are related both to each other and the concept. If this is easier for you at this stage, I say do it.

HSC
Ohhhhhh now i see what you mean. What you have there sounds awesome! I just do not think I have the capability to synthesise well, but it was good to see how it would be done. I mean that way is completely valid and shows a higher level of thinking, but I do not want to do it and then it seem hap-hazard and look like it has poor construction and fluidity, but that is only based on my capabilities. Do you have any tips for using the text-by-text method? Anything to make it more sophisticated?

bonniejjj

HSC
The only thing I can say is make links, between the texts and back to your thesis. Oh, and your thesis (intro) is very important- you should identify your key ideas, then elaborate on them in the body. The thesis is a sort of map for the rest of your essay, and if you write it well you won't run out of places to go. Oh and I'm sure you already know this, but when you link between texts, do so through concepts/ideas as opposed to techniques. Also make all your techniques meaningful. Most likely you can think of heaps of techniques from each text, but they're irrelevent if they cannot be meaningfully linked to the concept of journey. When you link between texts, I suggest you do it like this-
Text 1 blah blah [how, what why....] link to Journey
Similarly, text 2 also....

or

Conversely, text 2...

etc.

You can also make small links to say, text 2 in the body of your discussion of text 1, thus attaining partial synthesis. If you see things that you think link, link them! This saves you repeating yourself.

HSC
Thanks heaps. That will really help me to work out my essay plans. That has actually really cleared it up, thank you heaps :) :) :) . Have you written out an essay to study from or is each text individually studied?

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
I am a strong believer in actually thinking about your response when you get the question...rather than simply regurgitating (sp?) what you have prepared. The better response are not the flashy responses with 20-letter words and creatively synthesised information...they are the response that answer the question succinctly and with depth. You can only do this by thinking about your response at the time.

HSC
Good point that. That is why I thought text-by text analysis of journey is better suited to adapting to the question they give you in the exam, but that is just my theory. I guess I am just trying to reasure myself here :)

Kyroth***

HSC
With that debate question, we did that for the trials, and I'm trying to re do it really well, and then again with a timed response. I've been thinking about the intro, and one thing I got marked down on in modules was not following convention of the form. So does that mean for the debate you should include all the debating requirments, ie, greeting, case statement, allocation of speakers, definition, etc (assuming 1st aff, because otherwise you'd need rebuttal), or should you ignore it in favour of your argument?

littlebinzy

I do mine text by text, but I do this slightly differently. I start with our prescribed text - "on Giants' Shoulders" by Melvyn Bragg and have three paragraphs based around that covering the author's intentions, and then the IJs of two scientists (if you've read the book you'll get me) and then I move onto the stimulus bookelt, then independant texts. However, for the stimulus booklet I don't simply do one text, I have a main one which I link to others and I generally do two independant texts in the one paragraph linking them. I do a lot of "similarly" and "unlike this text" so I guess I do a bit of synthesis, while prioritising the texts I use.

bonniejjj

HSC
*n.a.t.a.l.i.e* said:
Thanks heaps. That will really help me to work out my essay plans. That has actually really cleared it up, thank you heaps :) :) :) . Have you written out an essay to study from or is each text individually studied?
No problem :) I have written out an essay to study from, but I don't limit myself to this alone; before an exam I like to return to the texts to keep things fresh. I also think its important to read widely; your essays are where you distill the mass of information you have read, down to the important stuff, and in a manageable form.

Meads said:
I am a strong believer in actually thinking about your response when you get the question...rather than simply regurgitating (sp?) what you have prepared. The better response are not the flashy responses with 20-letter words and creatively synthesised information...they are the response that answer the question succinctly and with depth. You can only do this by thinking about your response at the time.?
I absolutely agree with you. You MUST engage with the question. Even if your "model essay" is absolutely fantastic, you will not score well if you ignore the question. Writing a "model essay" helps me collate my ideas in cohesive form. It also helps me to imagine it "spacially" in the exam... that is I can imagine the physical piece of paper with the ordering of my points, making it easier to recall key information. I don't memorise my essay as such, but having the essay helps me remember my key points and connections better. And yes dazzling the markers with big words doesn't guarantee better marks. Although using sophisticated words appropriately does improve the quality of your response. So basically a combination of preparing an essay AND thinking about the response at the time.

Kyroth*** said:
With that debate question, we did that for the trials, and I'm trying to re do it really well, and then again with a timed response. I've been thinking about the intro, and one thing I got marked down on in modules was not following convention of the form. So does that mean for the debate you should include all the debating requirments, ie, greeting, case statement, allocation of speakers, definition, etc (assuming 1st aff, because otherwise you'd need rebuttal), or should you ignore it in favour of your argument?
There's no need to go TOO indepth with form... you just need to use a few conventions to show that you understand the form. (i.e. an example that our teacher gave us, don't talk about stuff that is irrelevent to the topic if the form is a conversation between two people, for example, don't write stuff such as "oh how are you today?" blah blah.) Don't comprimise your argument, but also don't ignore the demands of the question. I would assume first affirmative, and include the greeting and possibly a team line, but I wouldn't go so far as allocating speakers...

bonniejjj

HSC
Oh, sorry! I was just writing it quickly. I mean, I would assume that you were first speaker if the question was like the independent trial (that is, a debate.) I actually responded a bit incorrectly there- the question says you can take affirmative or negative, so I would still assume first speaker, but I would probably steer clear of rebuttal (as this is a fictitious debate...)

Kyroth***

HSC
Cool, thanks. How about the deffinition? Because that's something 1st aff HAS to do, but may be a little irrelevent for the essay...

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
structure of your essay will depend on the question, nat. depending on how broad it is, it may be easier to synthesise with some questions rather than others.

for example, a question that bonniejjj mention before, gave you three aspects to talk about. with a broader question like last years "the journey not the arrival matters" it may be easier to answer the question text by text.

as long as you link each paragraph well, with a topic sentence and refer back to the question, i assume that it doesnt matter as much whether you synthesise or take the text by text approach. (theres no point synthesisng just because you think it will get you higher marks if you cant do it very well)

devila2210

HSC
2bonniejjj: hi boniejjj, My name is Jess. i'm a new member^^. i'm doing an assessment on physical journey and decided to choose the feature aticle "the edge of darkness" by marele Day. I've been on the net for dayzz just searching for the article but I cannot find it... could you please help me if u know where the article is? thnks heapssss xxxooxx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)