Structuring CAFS syllabus notes (1 Viewer)

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all,

My teacher told me a good way to make notes was to look at the Syllabus. What I was stuck on was how to structure my notes under each dot-point?

My topic is 'Groups in Context'

Much help would be appreciated

Thank you :drink:

Kat92

HSC
There are some good ones that can be found here: http://www.boredofstudies.org/view.php?course=35- I remember using some of these myself and I modified them from there to add in additional detail as needed.

It is definitely good advice to structure your notes around the syllabus; as it will help when it comes time to do past papers. :)

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you! :)

Is it okay if I send you a copy of my notes to you when I'm finished to have a look over?

bec3

HSC
I found that the syllabus is useful as a guide for structuring notes
To structure them within the dot point I tend to do the following:

1) Definitions related to the dot point
2) Key acronyms associated (in GIC for example a core one was SLEDAGE, factors affecting access to resources)
3) Points answering the dot point
4) Realistic examples

I can't stress that last one enough, examples are ESSENTIAL in exam responses! In the HSC I came across a question where I could have answered the question a lot better than I did (I chose a poor concept to discuss), but a key element in cafs is that if you can back it up, you can absolutely do well (as in my case, despite my sightly off concept I still managed to secure a 98 because I made it relate to the question through use of EXAMPLES)

Good luck :)

Last edited:

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,
Thank you. I had the same issue in my yearly (I got 91%) I would lose a mark here and there for not putting in a lot of examples. I also find it difficult doing extended response questions that are 6-8 marks and say stuff like 'analyse' 'justify'. Our teacher told us to use this:
D - define
E - explain
A - analyse
L - link

Would I link it back using examples? What worked for you?

bec3

HSC
1) 6-8 mark questions
These are actually quite important even though they aren't the questions worth the most, little mistakes add up
It's good to use the DEAL idea (how cool I didn't know there was an acronym for it!) for each concept you discuss (perhaps two or three)
To get used to verbs like analyse and justify, the best thing to do is just practice essay questions with those verbs. This http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/glossary_keywords.html is also really important in every subject
Analyse is drawing it out completely and looking at the question thoroughly
Justify is asking you to make an argument that supports a statement

2) DEAL
awesome way to structure
What I would do is use my examples in the analyse section
the link is simply drawing a line between your discussion/line of argument and the question
Basically- prove to the marker that your paragraph answers the question. Linking in cafs is essential as it gives you marks. Setting things out like this is perfect as you're clearly answering the question, discussing it, relating it to examples and showing the marker that yes, this DOES answer the question :)

EDIT: Also, remember to get those key terms in there, syllabus language is what takes you from a Band 5 to a 6

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
Thanks bec3 for keeping this going as I couldn't logon for some reason!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)