Struggling with Pompeii? (1 Viewer)

topdeck

HSC
Is anyone else having problems with this topic? The actual information isn't that hard cause its all just content, but my teacher spent so much time doing our period study that he's left five weeks to cover pompeii. There's 150 pages in our book and EVERY lesson our teacher sets around 20-30 pages of the textbook to do in class (he thinks this is reasonble- i quote, "i don't expect this to be for homework).

Is anyone else's school moving this fast? I feel like im taking nothing in and am drowning in work.

Plus i find pompeii really boring.

Any advice?

Je.shi.ka

HSC
My Ancient class has been doing Pompeii and Herculaneum for almost 8 weeks. Think yourself lucky getting all those notes, our teacher finds it easier to make us watch 'Talking Textbooks' (DVD Documentaries) instead!!
Do you have an assessment for this topic yet? Cause if you need anymore info i'd be happy to share some notes :)
Ciao ^-^

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
Oh yes. we have been doing Pompeii for 8 weeks now but it is so boring. I fall asleep in class completely by accident. I sit there and try to take the work in and the class is so quiet and we are meant to be reading the text and next minute my friend is poking me awake lol

prettypinkheart

HSC
We did Pompeii & Herculaneum for a term and abit.
But I thought it was a very interesting topic.
Its sooooo much better than having to do Egypt for the next 3 topics!!!

All I'd say is Pompeii is very interesting and know examples of houses and villas.
The first section of Ancient Hist HSC I saw in the past HSC papers is just source work as well as including your own knowledge.
So if you can analyse sources and put in your own knowledge of things such as baths you'll be right.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Pompeii is a relatively new topic - only been in the HSC for two years I believe? So don't stress! :) Look to the HSC Specimen exam, and past papers for an understanding of the format - prettypinkheart is right in that, it is all source work. The HSC Exemplars should also help you grasp what a full-mark response requires in this sort of formatted question (Qs with Source).

Also, another thing: I used the Pamela Bradley book, 'Cities of Vesuvius: Pompeii and Herculaneum' - if you're looking to cover the content quickly, it has a summary page at the end of each topic. One thing I did was photocopy this summary page, and add the sources I researched to the points summarised/listed. You may not cover the WHOLE syllabus this way, but you will usually cover most of the relevant parts, without memorising the descriptive puff that's usually useless in an exam.

Hope that helps! :D

Rog

KaraLea

HSC
"Secrets of Vesuvius" by Kate Cameron and Jennifer Lawless
has good summary of all the information

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
we're moving pretty quickly as always

and yes it's incredibly boring ^^,

also <3 bradley

HSC
i found pompeii to be a really boring topic, and we went through it so fast that i feel like i don't know anything. i don't think i'll do very well in this section in the HSC :(

Faesy

HSC
I don't like this topic either. i prefer our other topics, Ag II, Augustus and Sparta. Much more blood thirsty and interesting!
however, since pompeii and Herculaneum are in the syllabus we must do that boring topic. I suggest reading any/all textbooks and looking at the dot points. The essay question will come from the 3rd dotpoint somewhere, people are tipping Conservation as a biggun. When you go back through and painfully make summaries follow the dotpoints and write small paragraphs underneath them, get hold of some past hsc papers and get going.

blackwiggle

HSC
ok so my Ancient Trials are on tues (25/6/2009) and today is saturday. I actually do not have any notes on pompeii as i spent so long trying to make sense of and comress the historical period
Is there anyway some angel could share their pompeii notes with me
PLEASE
I'm despreate here
I'm screwed
I don't have time to put notes together only enough time to cram info
:(
HELP
my email address is
Lorry7@optusnet.com.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)