Stuck for a short story idea!!!! (1 Viewer)

t kitchingman

HSC
I have been given the task to write a short story which demonstrates my knowledge of 19th century ways of thinking. Where the heck should I start? Any ideas anyone?

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
It depends on your knowledge.

In what area of life do you have good knowledge of how things were different in 19th Century life. If it is in the kitchen, then write something around that. If it is with public transport, then perhaps write a short story about someone who works on that.

Oh, so many possibilities!

t kitchingman

HSC
Thanks very much for your advice. I decided to go down the track of art and the domestic and confined lives women lived in the 19th century. Basically... a girl is brought up by her wealthy grandfather after living in middle class society until her parents died, she then has to learn to bend her ways to suit her new upper class life. Im not exactly thrilled with the story, but it's due tomorrow, so haven't really got time to change it. Thanks again for your help.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
t kitchingman said:
Thanks very much for your advice. I decided to go down the track of art and the domestic and confined lives women lived in the 19th century. Basically... a girl is brought up by her wealthy grandfather after living in middle class society until her parents died, she then has to learn to bend her ways to suit her new upper class life. Im not exactly thrilled with the story, but it's due tomorrow, so haven't really got time to change it. Thanks again for your help.
Whatever you do, don't use anything along your story lines ever again for the hsc, it's simplied to cliched.

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
^Response to above post.
True but remember that 19th century novels did have cliched endings - that is what was unique to the 19th century victorian novel - happy ending, villian, etc. :)

Anyone know anything about - or any good links to - the topic - '19th century was a time for change and conservitism' - and 'what were the factors pushing change and conservertism' eg darwin, marx, tennyson etc. zzzzz help. Advanced English is hard.:mad:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Rockyroad said:
^Response to above post.
True but remember that 19th century novels did have cliched endings - that is what was unique to the 19th century victorian novel - happy ending, villian, etc. :)

Anyone know anything about - or any good links to - the topic - '19th century was a time for change and conservitism' - and 'what were the factors pushing change and conservertism' eg darwin, marx, tennyson etc. zzzzz help. Advanced English is hard.:mad:
Yes, but try to make your work more 'original' and not totally cliched to todays hsc student response standards. Such as dowry's, heroine constricted by marriage rises above and challenges society, etc. Think about other stuff eg. Oscar Wilde 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'.

Yeah Darwin and Huxley with agnosticism with the upper echelons of society. Marx, Adam Smith 'Wealth of Nations', Utilitarianism.

MadamGuilia

HSC
victorianweb.org IT IS AAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Soak it all up while the time is right, it is truly an amazing website. Has SOOO much!

kelsey91

HSC
My teachers nearly vomit every time someone writes a love story or rags to riches type tale for this subject.
Needless to say, I can see why, after reading this stuff for a year now!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)