Stuck with my Witness assignment (1 Viewer)

nayfin

HSC
hey thanks for lookin at my post , i will try to keep this short as possible.
I'm doing an analysis on the Barn dancing scene and was wondering of some of the main themes presented in this scene? i have Clash of worlds and Romance and have extensively covered them , now i need one or two more themes to start working on , just cannot think at the moment , thanks.

Also with the bath scene i need some underlying themes present . Thanks:headbang:

Jimmey34

HSC
some other themes you could choose to focus on include-

moral verses immoral- this involves how john book chooses not to kiss rachel while danceing as he knows it would be wrong, were as rachel is starting to turn her back on her amish culture. Also the moral expressed by Eli in what Rachel is doing is wrong... and so on...

tradition verses modernity- with the car and the music (technology) out of place in the Amish world, plus the lyrics of the song (but i think you said you have already covered that)

lol there isnt much else you can do, i mean if its only tha barn scene i dont know how much you could pick up on.

good luck

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
Jimmey34 said:
some other themes you could choose to focus on include-

moral verses immoral- this involves how john book chooses not to kiss rachel while danceing as he knows it would be wrong, were as rachel is starting to turn her back on her amish culture. Also the moral expressed by Eli in what Rachel is doing is wrong... and so on...

tradition verses modernity- with the car and the music (technology) out of place in the Amish world, plus the lyrics of the song (but i think you said you have already covered that)

lol there isnt much else you can do, i mean if its only tha barn scene i dont know how much you could pick up on.

good luck
modernity? is that even a word?

and maybe substitute 'good' vs 'evil' instead of moral vs immoral (and btw i think its 'morality' vs 'immorality'

Jimmey34

HSC
sorry if i got the spelling wrong, i was just trying to help the guy out

Last edited:

nayfin

HSC
yeah thanks. i really need help with the bath scene please.!

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
bath scene: just to clarify is that the scene where rachel's having a bath and Book walks in on her? or is this the scene where the little amish boy is hiding from the bad guy in the bathroom of the train stn? its been a while since i watched it..

if its the rachel one i've got some ideas...

the position of the characters - rachel and book are from two different worlds, emphasised i.e. book and rachel facing each other. rachel is naked - this symbolises her innocence and purity of her people, the fact that she has nothing to hide, no secrets etc unlike book who has many secrets and has to be protected by the amish. we can see through the close ups of book's uncomfortable facial features. and i think he was partially covered in shadow- this also supports the idea that he is a man with secrets and trying not to encroach too much into her world.

lighting - use of candles instead of electricity - i think that highlights the differences in technology of the two worlds i.e. "modern" culture artificial light energy and amish culture uses natural. again this signifies the fact that she belongs to a life that is pure and simple.

i hope this was the scene you meant nayfin :) if not i've got some more stuff on the other scene.

Last edited:

nayfin

HSC
yes thanks it was the bath scene with Book and Rachel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)