Students of Mac U's Law Professor, Andrew Fraser (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
I see no reason why he should be fired or why people are celebrating his suspension.

Taking it to the media was a little far, but I believe that he should have as much of an opportunity as anyone else to voice his opinion (it's a pity that ACA and Today Tonight seem to think that it deserves that much time).

I don't agree with him, just as I didn't agree with the American Professor who said that the victims of September 11 were pretty much asking for it (although he was on Tenure, whereas I doubt Professor Fraser is, I'm not sure if it even exists in Australia).

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm conflicted... on the one hand freedom of speech is good.
On the other, due to his position of power I'm not sure if freedom of speech should apply to him in the same way... much as I don't believe teachers should have the freedom to talk about any issues they want with their students.

Rorix

HSC
If only he hated Americans like the good ol' crazy left wingers. You can tell this bloke's career isn't going too far, he's on the wrong side of politics!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I'm conflicted... on the one hand freedom of speech is good.
On the other, due to his position of power I'm not sure if freedom of speech should apply to him in the same way... much as I don't believe teachers should have the freedom to talk about any issues they want with their students.
He wrote to the local newspaper. He wasn't presenting these ideas in class.

It was a letters to the editors piece, one which people shound understand are opinions, not like children listening to a teacher in class.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think his accent created sustained interest. It sounded like an academic 3rd party assesment rather than the red-neck Pauline stuff we've been immunised against.

X

xeuyrawp

Sasky said:
Did he end up turning up???
I'd like to know that, too. I was planning on standing in on the class, but I was working.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
NTB's right.

Look at Costello, he speaks out about Christian values when he's clearly not a Christian.

X

xeuyrawp

Wow, the newspapers were very wrong, as per usual (remember "MILAT WAS NOT ALONE").

Although he was barred from having his lecture in a theatre, he conducted one on the grass somewhere, which my friend attended. He didn't just sit in his office all day. My friend got the vibe that he didn't whole-heartedly believe what he was saying (and still argues), but rather is stirring up the pot to not only be controversial, but also to make people think.

Yerbury still hopes he will resign, but he's clearly not going to. Apparently, the students who took his unit are fucked in that they not only need his subject to continue, but need it for their degree, and they can't "back up" so to speak and do constitutional law rather than the public variant. They're just not going to renew his contract, I doubt they'll fire him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)